The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sticky Situation View Post
    Depending on the horse and rider it can be a ground pole or a 3 foot vertical) on a large, 30 meter or so circle ... Just work on trotting or cantering circles until you establish the quality of trot or canter you want, and really focus on not letting the rhythm change. Eventually you just move your circle so that it incorporates the little jump... But your riding stays EXACTLY the same as if the jump wasn't there.
    This is what I'd suggest. And maybe trot poles to single fences, assuming he'll respect them and won't rush and "skip" a few poles on the way.

Quote Originally Posted by candysgirl View Post
    It also sounds to me like a green horse thing. I'd put him in a mild French link of some variety and call it a day.

I'm not sure what your hangup with the less expensive bits is? My guy actually prefers the $30 JP Korsteels over the different, more expensive metals.

Tory makes a 'jumping hackamore' that turns any bridle into a sidepull. You hang the new noseband on the bit hangers and remove the bridle's noseband. They're under $30 if you want to try one. They pop up on eBay every now and again. Mechanical hackamores just attach to the bit hangers of whatever bridle you already have. Mechanical hacks are relatively inexpensive as well and are often popping up on eBay. You could try a used one and see how it goes before getting a nice, new one.
    I have absolutely no problem with an inexpensive bit. And would be fine, if that's the bit he likes, and since we were using a simple loose ring French link and I felt we hit a plateau and needed a change and trainer agreed. That's where the Boucher came in to play... Then my Google went extreme. I'm just saying that the one I had.been using wasn't the right one for him, but maybe a different style and material could be.
    Posted with my Android smartphone.

Quote Originally Posted by candysgirl View Post
    It also sounds to me like a green horse thing. I'd put him in a mild French link of some variety and call it a day.

I'm not sure what your hangup with the less expensive bits is? My guy actually prefers the $30 JP Korsteels over the different, more expensive metals.

Tory makes a 'jumping hackamore' that turns any bridle into a sidepull. You hang the new noseband on the bit hangers and remove the bridle's noseband. They're under $30 if you want to try one. They pop up on eBay every now and again. Mechanical hackamores just attach to the bit hangers of whatever bridle you already have. Mechanical hacks are relatively inexpensive as well and are often popping up on eBay. You could try a used one and see how it goes before getting a nice, new one.
    I have absolutely no problem with an inexpensive bit. And would be fine, if that's the bit he likes, and since we were using a simple loose ring French link and I felt we hit a plateau and needed a change and trainer agreed. That's where the Boucher came in to play... Then my Google went extreme. I'm just saying that the one I had.been using wasn't the right one for him, but maybe a different style and material could be.

Quote Originally Posted by RoseBud143 View Post
    Hey Mickey- completely agree, but the problem is, he might fight and pull to the fence, but land and canter off beautifully- no pulling leaning- not fast just a nice slow relaxed canter- That's something I don't want make hard for him since the chance of him associating the "make it hard" with the actions before the jump and not the nice landing hard.

Now I can definitely apply this before the jump, where I circle and come at it again if hes rushing it, I can make this more work- but to the extent of after- its hit an miss because I don't want him to loose the nice canter away.

Then you halt. Turn away from the fence. Put placing poles down.....there are a million exercises that have nothing to do with your bit to do for these issues. My current OTTB sounds about the same level as your boy. Mine is super BOLD. As in first time jumping an oxer, he trotted right down and jumped it with no hesitation. I'm talking about a 2'3" square oxer at his maybe 2nd or 3rd time jumping. Green horses should not jump an oxer that easily the first time. He was doing BN level courses (with trotting) his first course work....basically, he finds the jumping easy. The jumps do not hold him, he thinks jumping is FUN and has no fear....and he gets strong. You don't fix that with the bit. I make sure that I'm not pulling. If he gets really strong or makes a bid, we halt and do not jump. I've never had to halt a youngster this green but he is just that bold (and get's BORED very fast too). It took a few halts for him to get the picture and then he was very good. But all his issues are flat work....it just gets worse jumping. His flat work is coming along nicely but when we jump, it just highlights how green he still is. It will get better.

That is what a lot of us are saying. If you can't fix this in your dressage bit now....if you are reaching to bit up at this stage....you will be screwed later. Learn from the experience of others....we do understand what you are feeling. This is just dressage work...not jumping work. So the bit you find that works on the flat...is all you need right now.
    Last edited by bornfreenowexpensive; Jan. 28, 2013 at 06:44 PM.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Going back to basics is something that never goes wrong. Even with the most experienced riders and horses. It helps fill holes, and strengthens what already exists.

If you are really worried about your bit, try the old saying less is more. On that thought, this bit has changed my horses life! He was over bitted his whole life, and I mean seriously over bitted, being a WP horse. When I started my dressage training this bit was the one that was wonderful lent to me by a friend, now I have my own and use it for all three phases.

KK Ultra

ETA: When I first started my gelding on the change over when we worked fences, I had him in a low port kimberwick, after constant work with the KK Ultra in dressage, he started getting very frustrated every time he rode in the Kimberwick. Pulling hard on my hands, not wanting to give to the bit, not wanting to sit himself down, not wanting to pay attention. Instead of bitting him up, I got rid of the figure eight that I was riding him in and tossed out the Kimberwick. Put him in a flash, and used the KK Ultra for everything ( I have a trainer that made the recommendation). Now he works beautifully! Much more giving, listening to his lead changes, just overall happier.

The right bit, and proper riding makes a happy horse

Sloeryder

That is the bit pretty much all my horses go in...or this one.

http://www.bitofbritain.com/Sprenger...Ring_p/180.htm

Sometimes I might use a D-ring (same mouth though) instead of a loose ring but most OTTBs I've put in loose rings. And a few I have had go in the Duo bit if they were not happy with metal. I've had one that preferred a single joint.

I'm not saying not to change a bit....but as Sloeryder said...less is more at this stage.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

So raises hand ans TOTALLY admits to getting ahead of herself and of googling a simple change in to a HUGE one lol. I do have a few bids on a some KKs ans that's what I meant on trying a better quality bit.

I don't want anything harsh and he is very sensitive, though not as much as before, I guess that's where my obsessive brain went with googling so Many choices. I would like to get a kk loose ring and a nice Boucher and see which he really prefers...

I also need to keep reminding myself that he's not the same horse anymore and we, he has come so far. From being this scared abused TB to a very confident and loving partner, who takes care of u... but from were he was and how scared he was before, and his reaction to new things, its a big change to the horse he's become, which is why we have taken it so slow.

So thank you, for applying the nice needed check lol. We do do all or a lot of the things mentioned, but need more and need to be appreciative of how far we, he has come and not rush it. He has proven time and time again reasons to trust him, and let him take his time, I just need.to.more

Now its just coming up with both bits and more exercises, bc we have been doing most of what's been listed.

Hea super smart and gets frustrated when not perfect and has a great work ethic, he wants Ro please, but can over think it ans get ahead of himself with what he thinks U want. He's a little stinker that way

Hea super smart and gets frustrated when not perfect and has a great work ethic, he wants Ro please, but can over think it ans get ahead of himself with what he thinks U want. He's a little stinker that way
    I call mine a border collie in a horse suit. He's constantly flicking an ear back to me asking...you can almost hear his little brain say "whatdoyouwantmetodo?whatdoyouwantmetodo???".. .and if you don't answer him, he starts "this?this?this?" It is pretty funny. Just keep it simple and give it time. Nothing works overnight. We do some pretty technical exercises with my horse, bounces, angled lines, combinations....just keep the fences low and let the exercises do their job.

Lol, that reminds me of him when we were trying to communicate that rhythm and a steady triy was more important then collection at the trot, he wanted so bad to do both, but would get get so frustrated when he couldn't do both though when he gets it, he did it quite nice . Lol though it only lasted for like 2 strides but showed the potential. :

We work trot to walk to roll back and trot, halts back and trot, the simple canter changes, though to many and he expects it and switches before askintrottingpoles ans raised trotting poles, alternate sides, canter poles so he can figure out its just another step and.nothing to get excited about, ummmm the lateral work, gym line in lessons..... Lots of flat work, I just need to remember to not get impatient I guess.

And think of of more exercises, wish we had hills, just a no go.

Quote Originally Posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
    Sloeryder

That is the bit pretty much all my horses go in...or this one.

http://www.bitofbritain.com/Sprenger...Ring_p/180.htm

Sometimes I might use a D-ring (same mouth though) instead of a loose ring but most OTTBs I've put in loose rings. And a few I have had go in the Duo bit if they were not happy with metal. I've had one that preferred a single joint.

I'm not saying not to change a bit....but as Sloeryder said...less is more at this stage.
    I've always wanted to try that bit!!! But I stayed away because I really didn't understand the roller rule for dressage.

It doesn't look like it moves, so doesn't that mean yea it is, or does this fall into play that its not all one smooth.... And has "bumps' so it not..... I too not sure of the rules. Recently posted aakin a question about dual metal bits.

Though it is interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Sloeryder View Post
    I've always wanted to try that bit!!! But I stayed away because I really didn't understand the roller rule for dressage.
    That particular bit is legal for eventing dressage specifically. It used to not be legal for USDF dressage (but ok for FEI level and the FEI Young horse classes). Not sure if that rule has changed....I haven't looked it up in a while.

I have started using this snaffle on my gelding and he has been going very well in it ... seems to be a good choice for those horses that go better in single-jointed bits.

It sounds like you are defiantly trying to figure out your options for a fun game horse!

I just wanted to clarify what I said about putting them to work after they land to encourage them to be ride-able before the fence.
    I have also ridden horses who get unpleasant in the approach and land and are fine.
    As soon as they get all 4 feet on the ground you are doing something to make them slightly uncomfortable, you make them turn into a smaller uncomfortable circle and you make them work hard for about a min and then go on with life. You aren't punishing them for cantering away nicely because they never get the chance to canter away nicely. Let this be ugly if it needs to be ugly in the beginning.

Just an idea of something to try if you feel so inclined.
    -Chelsie
    "Hell yes I can ride. I was riding when I fell off!"

After establishing some decent basic communication with my pony, I wanted to switch from a Myler snaffle to a Baucher. The reason for this is that I like the Baucher because it's a bit that you can ride the horse forward into. I hope that makes sense -- you hold the bit steady and keep the horse straight and forward. I've had great success with Bauchers on my horses, who tend to be hot and light to the aids. And also who don't like dressage.

When I went bit shopping, I was with one of my mentors in all things horsey (this was coincidence, not planned) and after telling her about my pony, she held up this bit -- the Myler Eggbutt Low Port Comfort Snaffle with Hooks -- and said, this is what you want.

My first thought was it would be too much bit but then I remembered I'd used it for jumping/XC on one of my eventers who was a straightforward ride and it worked very well. He'd liked the low port and the independent movement of the sides. The hooks gave a little elevator action when I needed it.

On my pony, it's been great. Much better than the comfort snaffle, again because of the port and the movement of the rings. The pony is very easy in the mouth, so it's not like the bit was an issue (forward and bucking are the issues ). If I had to do a dressage test, I'd switch back to the comfort snaffle, but for daily training, this is by far the more harmonious bit for him.

Your guy is very handsom in the photo. It may be the wash rack, but is he a tad croup high? If so he could be having a final growth spurt, as many horses do at the that age. It often affects their balance when they grow, and they need time to sort themselves out.

Quote Originally Posted by csaper58 View Post
    Your guy is very handsom in the photo. It may be the wash rack, but is he a tad croup high? If so he could be having a final growth spurt, as many horses do at the that age. It often affects their balance when they grow, and they need time to sort themselves out.
    More the wash rack, its def down hill some to let the water run off, though he may still be a smidgen, nothing that extreme. I think he still has some growing Ro do and can tell as he gets all funky in his movement and drops weight as he shoots up.

He dis recently go through a growth spurt, but less up and more wide.we got a new saddle ans the moment his shoulders and back had room, he gained about a cc plus in width on either side ( went back to saddle fitter as I was concerned my brand new saddle was now going to be to right lol) and was assured the growth was just showing the proper conditioning and training.

Just keep working on the flat work...and getting more exercises. Jimmy is up dating his gymanstics book

Lots of bounces, changes of directions so he can't anticipate what you are doing.

What seemed to work surprising well with my horse was doing harder bending lines of multiple fences (on less than 4 strides)....he could focus on ONE jump (and get strong) but when he had to land and jump another jump (and turn) within a few strides....he started to listen more. I didn't worry about balance or distances, if he got too close or was on the forhand...oh well, it was harder for him. The key was keeping the jumps lower so he could get out of any mistake and staying out of his way (neck strap). I want him to keep his own balance at this point, I just steer and work to keep him straight....the jumping and balance is more up to him. We kept changing things up so he could not anticipate...but when he got it he got it. You could feel him think "damn....I don't know what this girl is going to ask me to do so I better just stay focused on her instead of attacking the jump!"

He is not a horse that I repeat the same thing much at all....other than perhaps jumping on a circle.

Quote Originally Posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
    Just keep working on the flat work...and getting more exercises. Jimmy is up dating his gymanstics book

Lots of bounces, changes of directions so he can't anticipate what you are doing.

What seemed to work surprising well with my horse was doing harder bending lines of multiple fences (on less than 4 strides)....he could focus on ONE jump (and get strong) but when he had to land and jump another jump (and turn) within a few strides....he started to listen more. I didn't worry about balance or distances, if he got too close or was on the forhand...oh well, it was harder for him. The key was keeping the jumps lower so he could get out of any mistake and staying out of his way (neck strap). I want him to keep his own balance at this point, I just steer and work to keep him straight....the jumping and balance is more up to him. We kept changing things up so he could not anticipate...but when he got it he got it. You could feel him think "damn....I don't know what this girl is going to ask me to do so I better just stay focused on her instead of attacking the jump!"

He is not a horse that I repeat the same thing much at all....other than perhaps jumping on a circle.

Your guy sounds a lot like mine- im almost curious on his breeding lol I have to do this with anything with him. I have to be very careful how i do it or the next time he will expect and and not wait to see if that is wait you want.

I can only do the simple changes maybe 2/3 times, at different areas of the arena before hes doing it before i ask.

And heaven forbid if you give him a treat or reward him for something more then twice- good luck having him NOT do it every time he sees you! lol

Your guy sounds a lot like mine- im almost curious on his breeding lol I have to do this with anything with him. I have to be very careful how i do it or the next time he will expect and and not wait to see if that is wait you want.

I can only do the simple changes maybe 2/3 times, at different areas of the arena before hes doing it before i ask.

And heaven forbid if you give him a treat or reward him for something more then twice- good luck having him NOT do it every time he sees you! lol

Mine got in trouble with me once because I was working on teaching him to move off my leg with a baby turn on the forehand (using the wall of the indoor (point them at the wall on an angle as you ask for a turn on the forehand and let the wall keep them from walking forward instead of the bit to teach them to move off the leg). He decided it was a new trick and the next time I lined him up he spun around on his forehand and didn't stop spinning until he had squished my opposite leg against the wall (even though I was kicking with that leg at the time and not the other one trying to stop him!). Smart Alex that was NOT my goal with that exercise I let him know ignoring the leg and squishing it against the wall was not the way to get a treat!!! You can't really get mad at them. They are the overachievers of the horse world!