The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Mattes/Fleeceworks Correction half Pad - Cheaper alternatives?

Anyone know of any cheaper alternatives to the Mattes or Fleeceworks correction pads? I need one for my new saddle but don't want to break the bank on a halfpad. Any places to look (other than ebay) for used ones?
    "There is no secret so close as that between a rider and his horse." - Robert Smith Surtees

I have been nothing but happy with my Eous halfpad, which I got on closeout for $29.
    http://www.equisupplies.com/eous-sheepskin-half-pad

As long as you're seeing the magical words "genuine merino sheepskin" then you really can't go wrong.

Edit: Sorry, just saw you needed a correction one. No, I don't think there are cheaper alternatives, apart from used or having the saddle fitter out!

Love ECP pads. I have two Mattes and an ECP...the ECP is my FAVORITE. Prices are great, too.

Look up the "insanely addicting Mattes Pad fun" thread that was resurrected recently--you can order the genuine article from Germany at about 2/3 the cost. If you're not devoted to having a sheepskin one, the regular cloth ones with all the shims are extremely affordable.
    Click here before you buy.

Thanks guys. Out of curiosity, anyone had any success converting a non-correction half pad into a corrective one? With a saddle fitters input and a sewing machine it seems like it might be do-able?
    "There is no secret so close as that between a rider and his horse." - Robert Smith Surtees

Quote Originally Posted by eventingVOL View Post
    Thanks guys. Out of curiosity, anyone had any success converting a non-correction half pad into a corrective one? With a saddle fitters input and a sewing machine it seems like it might be do-able?
    I want to say....Starhouse did it? If you search her name she has a blog of her TB mare and it might be on there.

Steph, I have a plain old fleeceworks pad and Kate cut me a shim. I just throw the shim over the pad and off I go.

except .... didn't I borrow your shim back last time for a fitting, and fail to return it ?

But yes, in principle, ecg is absolutely correct - just cut the shim so that both sides - the right and the left are linked - one piece of felt going across the wither just like a regular saddle pad does, and it'll stay in place without any need for pockets in the pad itself.

Quote Originally Posted by KateWooten View Post
    except .... didn't I borrow your shim back last time for a fitting, and fail to return it ?
    Ummm... maybe. I'm not using it right now, so I haven't noticed... since you have expertly fit each of my horses with their own custom saddles.

The $5 pressed felt 'saddle blankets' usually associated with western saddles are your friends - you can experiment to your heart's content very cheaply if you have a few of those. As Kate taught me also via e-consult. Hoover says hi, Kate!
    HAS provides hospital care to 340,000 people in Haiti's Artibonite Valley 24/7/365/earthquake/cholera/whatever.
    www.hashaiti.org blog:http://hashaiti.org/blog