The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default IRH not fitting daughter

My daughter has the IRH helmet DFS, she says its pinching above her ears. I want to try a different brand, however we don't have any tack stores close by. So I am going to have to order from Dover. What would you recommend for a good fitting helmet, I think she is going to need something more round and not oval... the size is fine, just where it pinches, I think is b/c her head is more round? Does that make sense? Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

I would try smartpak so that you can return and return and return until you have the right fit I love my CO, but I don't remember if its round or oval, good luck!
    My Horse Show Photography/ Blog

3 members found this post helpful.

thanks, looking them up now =)

IRH and GPA do not fit me, but COs tend to fit me very well. The models vary a bit so you may want to order a few with the idea of returning the majority. The Tipperary T2/T4 almost fit, but not quite.

i think i am going to order a few from Smartpak and see how they fit, my poor credit card is going to be screaming, LOL!

I agree with Kat. Use Smartpak!
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

The CO JR8 and GR8 fit more oval, but the AYR8 fits a little bit more round (still pretty ovalish).

Look at Pegasus helmets too, good prices and sizes.

IRH tend to fit oval shaped heads (like mine ) so I know exactly what you mean.

GPAs tend to fit more rounded head types, I should know as I have tried over and over again to fit my round head into an oval Charles Owen, with no success.

I think you'd be better off with Dover over SmartPak, IF you have the Dover card and can get the $4.99 shipping. Dover's satisfaction guarantee is serious business. Helmet doesn't fit after wearing it for 2 months? You can send it back and get a replacement. SmartPak told me I'd be out of luck.

I recently bought my new paddock boots from Dover for that same reason. I could actually wear them/ride in them, etc. and see if they were comfortable rather than trying to determine that around the house on carpeted floors. After 10+ years in Ariat Terrains, I was worried about the switch (Ariat Barnyards) and Dover's policy gave me the peace of mind to order.

Course, the shipping is outrageous...which is why I would only do it with the credit card so you get the reduced shipping cost.
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

1 members found this post helpful.

GPA and Troxel are round. You could also try Ovation and Tipperary, which are oval, but possibly less so.

Long ago, I used to get Troxels because they were cheap. They fell out of fashion, so I got IRH, and tried CO. Both gave me mushroom head. They were heavy, clunky, and hot.

Just recently, I bought Troxel's new Avalon helmet and am IN LOVE. Light, airy, cool, washable lining (!!), and the fit is more adjustable thanks to the lining and fit system they use.

MY IRH pinches me by my ears and temples too, and my new CO is so much better.

Quote Originally Posted by RugBug View Post
    I think you'd be better off with Dover over SmartPak, IF you have the Dover card and can get the $4.99 shipping. Dover's satisfaction guarantee is serious business. Helmet doesn't fit after wearing it for 2 months? You can send it back and get a replacement. SmartPak told me I'd be out of luck.
    SmartPak actually has the same policy regarding returns (I'm not sure how recently you were told you'd "be out of luck"?). You can definitely try boots or a helmet or anything, actually ride in them, and still be able to return them if you don't find them comfortable. I know people who have done that.

Plus, why pay shipping at Dover when you can get free shipping over $75 at SmartPak and free return shipping if it doesn't fit?

1 members found this post helpful.

I had a similar experience, PaintedHunter. My IRH used to give me a headache. My CO fits wonderfully in comparison, but I'm not sure if that's because it's more oval or less.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Quote Originally Posted by hj0519 View Post
    SmartPak actually has the same policy regarding returns (I'm not sure how recently you were told you'd "be out of luck"?). You can definitely try boots or a helmet or anything, actually ride in them, and still be able to return them if you don't find them comfortable. I know people who have done that. Plus, why pay shipping at Dover when you can get free shipping over $75 at SmartPak and free return shipping if it doesn't fit?
    Im trying to remember when I purchased my last helmet...I think it was about 3 years ago? All I can say is the experience left me with a bad taste in m mouth regarding Smartpak. After having purchased a GPA from Dover that stretched within 2 months and them not only taking it back, no questions asked, but sending me a new one along with a shipping label for the old, I was hooked on Dover for items that I am unsure bout. SmartPak literally old me that I would be out of luck, an my $300+ if I ended up in a similar situation again. I believe they have recently adopted the happiness guarantee to mimic Dover's policy..but I'll still go o Dover first for stuff like that.
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"