The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Chester County, PA boarding

Hello all.

I know there have been many threads on this subject over the years, but my question is a bit different and hopefully warrants its own thread.

DH will be starting his own business soon, which will result in a change in our finances. I want to support his new venture, so that means my horse boarding situation will have to change.

If you feel comfortable sharing - could you please tell me what you pay for board in the area and what type of facilities come with it? Even a range would be helpful. Or PMs will be gladly read as well.

I prefer a place with an indoor (especially given our current weather as of late) and a full time trainer. Self care/field board is not an option for me. I am looking to stay in Chester County, as Montgomery or Bucks will be too much of a commute.

Thanks.

I board my horse in Northern Chester County. Farm has a really nice insulated indoor, a small outdoor, small group turn-out and is $520 per month, blanket changes are extra.
    There is no resident trainer but insured outside trainers are allowed.
    Group is primarily adults. We have trail riders, dressage, hunters, Parelli (the non crazy variety), Western and one teenager is teaching her pony to drive.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

PM sent

Chester County with an indoor, you are definitely looking upwards of $500, closer to $1,000 with a good trainer. Some small private farms with outdoors only might still be around $450 though. Check the Horse of Del Val for local listings, but a word to the wise, some of the perennial listings are not worth it and thus always available. If you're willing to cross just over the border into Lancaster county, you can keep it closer to $400 though. I found myself moving further & further west just to afford my habit, eventhough I still work in Devon! Full board in East Earl with excellent turnout, small indoor & outdoor rings (not enough sand though), and no trainer is $425. The Gap/Atglen area may be similar. We have about the same mix as SonnysMom's barn above.

I pay $400 for field board in Kennett with a nice ring with 2 lights. No indoor.

Bottom line.... You're gonna pay for all the amenities you've described.

Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Thanks for the replies so far.

I would like to stay in the $800 and below range. I am well above that now. Surely that is still possible?

Quote Originally Posted by SonnysMom View Post
    I board my horse in Northern Chester County. Farm has a really nice insulated indoor, a small outdoor, small group turn-out and is $520 per month, blanket changes are extra.
    There is no resident trainer but insured outside trainers are allowed.
    Group is primarily adults. We have trail riders, dressage, hunters, Parelli (the non crazy variety), Western and one teenager is teaching her pony to drive.

This is a really good facility. The horses get excellent care and the indoor is great.

If you are looking to be closer to West Chester, Mary Morrill at Bentbrook Farm is really good and in your price range and a great group of people as well.

https://sites.google.com/site/bentbrookfarm/

Good luck! Keep us updated.
    Last edited by QM2; Jan. 29, 2013 at 01:20 PM.

$800 is definitely doable! Just pick the part of the county you want to be in and start calling around.

Two barns with indoors and trainers that are likely under $800 come to mind -- Vince Dugan's in Kennett Square -- Clearview in Chester Springs --

Check out http://www.equestrianlist.com/index....on=pa_trainers for a listing of barns in Chester County --
    "I never mind if an adult uses safety stirrups." GM