The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Horse show abuse

Does anyone have any stories of horse show abuse for any discipline? Need some topics to research for my essay in my LA block!! ANy links too.

Well, there is a whole thread on big lick horses.
    That should give you much to go with.

There have been two cases I know in the past few years of western pleasure trainers spurring horses mercilessly.
    One, the assistant trainer he left at home when he went to shows did it, but the trainer was in charge, so it was on his head.
    The owner found out and complained.

Another, some lady trainer even tried to super glue hair back in the cuts, then was found out by the owners and even the police was involved in that one.

If you do a search here, you will find several such stories.

Just be sure to explain in your paper that those are rare, should not happen at all, but some humans, well, are abusers, no matter where you find them, including working with horses, sadly.

Trot over to H/J land and do a search on Humble the Pony. I'm pretty sure that many people consider 'accidentally putting down' the wrong pony at a show abuse.

Quote Originally Posted by red mares View Post
    Trot over to H/J land and do a search on Humble the Pony. I'm pretty sure that many people consider 'accidentally putting down' the wrong pony at a show abuse.
    She didn't accidentally put down the wrong pony. She gave an injection to the right pony but it accidentally killed it. Possibly still abuse but not a case of mistaken identity.

5 members found this post helpful.

I know, my typing was dripping with sarcasm, it's just hard to see sometimes.
    If the OP is looking for horse show's dirty laundry, I don't think it gets much filthier than that.

Not at a horse show but when I was riding at a reining barn one of the trainers roughed up a young colt and handed the horse off to another student. The horse had bloody spur marks on each side. The trainer said something along the lines of "Wipe that piece of sh** horse now."

Not saying that the hunter jumper world has any less abusive or ill practices. As a groom I saw all the nitty gritty; aceing the horses to where they were dragging their heads on the ground out to the ring. Lunging horses until they couldn't do any more than a walk, ect.

Some people don't have a problem with this, but I don't like to see it.

It's called shanking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jW_kWUip7TQ

I witnessed a high level western pleasure trainer correct a horse by repeatedly jerking on the horse's mouth intentionally and methodically, rotating left-hand-right-hand. Horse gave up and rolled his eyes into the back of his head, drenched in sweat and clearly uncomfortable. Poor thing. The trainer explained to me that some horses "need to be taught this way". Bull.

Quote Originally Posted by Joanne View Post

It's called shanking.

That looks like the Parelli and such other NH "training" I have seen, in person and in the Barney and the clunking video also, minus the shank.

Why would anyone want a horse to be resisting and pulling back, inverted, any time they walk up to it?

We are supposed to handle the horses so we work together, cooperate, not show strong resistances to what we do.

Every time you hold the end of a lead or reins or loge/driving lines, you are speaking to them.

The mark of a good horseman is to whisper, not have to shout to be heard.

3 members found this post helpful.

Shanking Arabian horses has been around since at least the 1970s which was when I was interested in the breed. Now sure how long the Parellis have been around.

2 members found this post helpful.

Shanking Arabian horses has been around since at least the 1970s which was when I was interested in the breed. Now sure how long the Parellis have been around.
    You think they would not need to do that, especially at a show.

If nothing else, how about train at home, have a horse ready to perform as you wish, smoothly, once you are at the show, especially in front of the judge?

I can understand yanking on the lead rope if the horse is being completely disrespectful, but I often saw in that video the horse simply was standing or moved a foot and they GABBED down hard

1 members found this post helpful.

Wow. That shanking is HORRIBLE, and the judges watch it!! They clearly are doing it to scare the crap out of the horses, get their heads up, eyes open, and nostrils blowing in fear they will be hit in the head by the whip over their heads, which clearly has been done MANY times, so they look "beautiful."

WHat the HELL is wrong with the judges, show personnel, owners, handlers, and any other moron there that thinks that's good?

4 members found this post helpful.

It's called shanking.

Yanno, I only got through half of the vid and quit. Then I was thinking of the TWH's who suffer all the abuse. What the eff is wrong with people?? I'm not a softy but why do people do this to horses?? If you're afraid of them, find another pastime. That's what it looks like to me. Crikey.
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

That shows absolutely no respect of love of horses. Even those honking big
    warmblood stallions know to stand quietly without needing punishment.
    The training is done at home, and hopefully, while strict and consistent, is kind.

We hire stewards to enforce the rules at horseshows, but it seems they rarely do. I've taken things into my own hands often enough when I see someone roughing up their horse after a not so good round. I just go up to them and explain that their trainers would not like to see this display or lack of horsmanship and that the horse does not learn from a rider having a temper fit....except I say it politely.

Over-lungeing, witholding water, lots of tricks of the trade that are questionable.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

1 members found this post helpful.

The Arab shanking disgusts me. Arabs are some of the most sensitive, brave, intelligent horses I've ever met. The shanking disgusts me. For fun one summer, I taught my mare how to "stand" as if in a halter show. I did it in a soft rope halter, and the kids got to play around with her. No shanking or hitting was involved. Both parties had fun.

I would assume it is a short cut to teach the horse to lean back and show off their muscle. It obviously just takes way too much time to explain to the horse what exactly the trainer wants, so intimidating the horse works better. Absolutely disgraceful.

It's called shanking.

Why is this okay? Especially in front of a judge?

Am I the only one that wishes that the horse would bolt when those fools wrapped the leads AROUND their hands several times?

It amazing what A-holes will do for a ribbon and money – there is way too much of this kind of stuff going on in ALL disciplines of horse showing. I wish we could run them out of the horse world.

Seriously, just about every sport I can think of, be it sloth like peanut roller 2 year old WP horses, Big Lick, drugged hunters, blue tongue dressage horses, and so on, have gone to the extreme at the expense of the horse. Abusive training methods are usually the go to, to produce these wild extremes.

I believe Cleve Wells (WP) is in a sh*t storm of his own making at the moment. I think I saw the story on Rate My Horse Pro.

Quote Originally Posted by ddashaq View Post
    I believe Cleve Wells (WP) is in a sh*t storm of his own making at the moment. I think I saw the story on Rate My Horse Pro.
    Wow!! I googled that name out of curiosity and look what I found:

http://www.horsegroomingsupplies.com...ng-442153.html

As an aside, a long time ago, Larry Jones of New York showed an imported Arabian mare to the national championship without having a whip, which is unheard of in the Arabian world. It was quite the news about not having the whip, but it didn't do anything to stop others carrying and using whips. Now I understand that a judge has to dismiss a horse/handler if there are welts seen. I left the Arabian show world a long time ago.