The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default saddle woes-slipping back, hard to fit horse, etc.

I'm about to start ripping my hair out!!! I bought a Thorowgood T8 High Wither dressage saddle for my gelding this summer from Trumbull Mt. Its a medium, and fit perfectly until my gelding lost a ton of weight when my last barn got less than great hay and winter hit. Not the barn's fault really, we're in the midwest and hay is worth more than gold right now :/ We're in a new barn now and even in the last 2 weeks he's visibly gained some weight thank goodness.

Well, every saddle I try on him slips back now. I've been saving for a jumping saddle for him, right now we're borrowing a friend's HDR for when we go hunting every few weeks, but I've had to start using a breast plate to keep it in place. But that is obviously not going to work!

The thing is, I was told by Trumbull that he needs a BC Ricochet with wither gussets or a BC Quantum with wither gussets and trap panels. Problem is I only have about $1k to work with, AND he's going to go from the N/MN that he is now back to his M once he gains weight and muscle back, so I don't even want to spend $1K on a saddle I'll need to replace in 6 months or so.

I would love to find something in the 5-700 range while he fills back out and gets back in shape, I just don't want a saddle that will make him sore or impede his correct muscle development. We tried a friend's Senior Event with a half pad and he was happy in it but it also slipped back, and its a medium-narrow.

Is there a convertible saddle out there that would fit him? In that case I'll be willing to spend in the $1k range now! I will be doing some HTs this spring/summer so I need to find something pretty soon :/

I've read a billion threads on here and now I'm just overwhelmed and confused :'( His withers are massive and long and so are his shoulders.

Him now:
    http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15...psce5bbd91.jpg

Summer:http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15...DSC_8402_1.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15...e/DSC_8398.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15...Adagio0512.jpg
    http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15...e/DSC_8487.jpg
    Team Ginger

He looks to be built like my TB mare. She fits well in the narrower Stubbens. Where in the midwest are you? If you're anywhere near Indiana, I'm happy to let you try out the array I have (I have them to fit everything from my WIDE Arab to my narrower TB mare).

I'm in eastern Nebraska, unfortunately!
    Team Ginger

I have the same issue with my hard to fit horse. I have a used BC Quantum with the trap panels and had it reflocked specifically for my horse this year...it STILL slips back over bigger fences when my horse jumps hard. I use a 5 point or regular hunting breastplate and neither really helps the issue. I have just taken to getting off once during each ride and re-adjusting. It sucks but it's the only way I have found that works. No slip pads, etc. don't help either

How about using a pad with shims such as a thinline pad while you're waiting for him to fill out again?
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Bogie, I think that's the route I'll have to take, the problem is I can't keep borrowing the HDR from my friend (she picks me up for the hunt every couple weeks) because I need to start working over fences at home...and no saddle right now :/ It totally worked out before I moved barns but now I don't have any one to borrow from lol.

So either way I need to buy a saddle, the question is what? I will never be able to afford a BC, used or not. $1k is about my limit and that's stretching it.
    Team Ginger

I got my Albion Legend/K2 jumper with TB tree and trap panels from ebay.uk for right around your budget, including shipping. A shimmable pad might also help fill in around the withers in the meantime??

This is a very nice saddle for the price. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Albion-Kon...item1c2fa63a34
    I've found that you can always resell here in the states for *at least* what you paid, if not a profit, if it's not exactly what you need.

Another saddle that fits a lot of TBs well is the OLD Ainsley Chester. You can pick those up for less than $400. They are particularly good if you have long legs as they have the extra forward flap. I picked one up last year for $250 that was in nice shape.

Don't buy the newer ones though, they are not as nice.

There are certainly bargains out there if you keep looking on the used market. The problem is that they are harder to find when you really need them!
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Quote Originally Posted by NErider View Post
    I'm about to start ripping my hair out!!! I bought a Thorowgood T8 High Wither dressage saddle for my gelding this summer from Trumbull Mt. Its a medium, and fit perfectly until my gelding lost a ton of weight when my last barn got less than great hay and winter hit. Not the barn's fault really, we're in the midwest and hay is worth more than gold right now :/ We're in a new barn now and even in the last 2 weeks he's visibly gained some weight thank goodness.

Well, every saddle I try on him slips back now. I've been saving for a jumping saddle for him, right now we're borrowing a friend's HDR for when we go hunting every few weeks, but I've had to start using a breast plate to keep it in place. But that is obviously not going to work!

The thing is, I was told by Trumbull that he needs a BC Ricochet with wither gussets or a BC Quantum with wither gussets and trap panels. Problem is I only have about $1k to work with, AND he's going to go from the N/MN that he is now back to his M once he gains weight and muscle back, so I don't even want to spend $1K on a saddle I'll need to replace in 6 months or so.

I would love to find something in the 5-700 range while he fills back out and gets back in shape, I just don't want a saddle that will make him sore or impede his correct muscle development. We tried a friend's Senior Event with a half pad and he was happy in it but it also slipped back, and its a medium-narrow.

Is there a convertible saddle out there that would fit him? In that case I'll be willing to spend in the $1k range now! I will be doing some HTs this spring/summer so I need to find something pretty soon :/

I've read a billion threads on here and now I'm just overwhelmed and confused :'( His withers are massive and long and so are his shoulders.

Him now:
    http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15...psce5bbd91.jpg

Summer:http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15...DSC_8402_1.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15...e/DSC_8398.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15...Adagio0512.jpg
    http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15...e/DSC_8487.jpg
    Did you try a correction pad with shims to fill in the spaces until he regains his condition or a narrower gullet plate? The mentioned saddles would be the ideal fit but there may be other solutions.

I didn't, I only have a half pad and one of those front-riser pads. I am ordering a narrower plate for his Thorowgood dressage saddle.

I considered the Thorowgood high wither all purpose, but if I'm going to have 2 saddles, I really don't want an AP and a dressage saddle, plus I like the more forward feel and my horse tends to jump with a little extra oomph I ride with shorter stirrups to make sure I'm staying off his back and out of his way.

I know I won't find the perfect fit for my budget, but figured I should aim for something as good as possible, then tweak.
    Team Ginger

There are two horses where I board with major saddle fit issues. One broke his withers, one is narrow with shark fin withers and he's very cranky about saddles not fitting.

One of them has a fancy French saddle, but the other one, with the high withered narrow horse, has a Toulouse. It has the adjustable gullet on the narrowest setting, and I am pretty sure the saddle is wool flocked.

But what has solved both old their problems is this miracle pad called the Equipedic. I just had the local saddle fitter out, and the girl with the narrow horse was there. She had had him work on her saddle before, but when I asked her if she needed him, she said no thanks, this pad resolved all their issues once they got it shimmed up properly (her horse is also asymmetrical).

Here's the link.

http://www.equipedic.com/
    Last edited by Bristol Bay; Jan. 28, 2013 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Added link
    A helmet saved my life.

2015 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

NErider, I like Bogie's suggestion about trying a shim pad. It may not be perfect, but given that your horse's back is in a state of change, "good enough for now" may be all you need, as long as you aren't making him sore. If the saddle's slipping back, you may need something with a thicker rear gusset; an Albion K2 jump might be worth a try if you could find a used one (they're "only" $2100 brand new). The Ainsley Chester would be a good possibility, as would a Jeffries jump or a County Symmetry with a K panel.

As far as the Quantum or Ricochet, I think the latter would be a better choice. Based on the photos alone, the Quantum might be too flat in the tree ... and I don't think the trapezius panel will be quite what he needs. I'd say more along the lines of the standark Ricochet panel, or perhaps a K, and probably a full front gusset ... and again, that thicker rear gusset to help keep the saddle from sitting pommel-high.

You need a trapezius panel, but you don't necessarily need a BC ! WHenever you see a likely looking jump saddle in your budget, get a picture of the underside - LOTS of different saddles have them but people selling them often don't know what they have and what it's called. I've seen them on a lot of Prestige saddles and on various 'eventer' designed saddles - there's a 'mark Todd' saddle for example that has the best panels I've ever seen for your situation. What you can't get away with is a thin foam-panelled 'h/j' saddle set narrow, they jus won't ever get that support at the front. You can also temporarily cut up shims from a wool felt pad to fill in the hollow behind the wither, while you're searching and saving. If you go with a Mattes pad, you're another $250 off from saving for your saddle !

Do you know what the trapezius panel looks like, or do you need a pic ?

Kitt,

So for an interim saddle what should I go for? If I need to buy a $200 pad that chips away at my budget as well, but I agree might be our best bet.
    Team Ginger

Kate, I *think* so, but a picture would be extremely helpful

I feel hope returning!!
    Team Ginger

Quote Originally Posted by NErider View Post
    I'm in eastern Nebraska, unfortunately!
    Ah, yeah, that's a hike.

Either way, I'd still check out Stubbens. There are a bajillion of them on eBay for well under your budget. The good news is, they seem to sell pretty readily on there so when he fills out again, you could relist it and get a wider one if you needed to.

As far as a shim pad, look into the Prolite triple pocket pad by Hastilow USA. $130, really quite customizable with all the shims it comes with, and the best pad I've found for adjusting saddle fit.

Kate has a good point about the Mattes pad and the expense. You have to decide what works best for you money-wise at this point! There are other shim pads out there - some not as good as the Mattes, admittedly - but they might work. Also, the Mattes correction half pads are in the $140-$150 range, and they work really well. I'm just not a fan of buying a saddle for a horse whose back is changing rapidly if you can get along with something (without, obviously, doing any damage).

An old Race trick works pretty well for this problem, use an actual chamois (moistened) under your saddle pad. A real animal skin not a sham wow or any of the fakey's.