The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

The second day after having my gall bladder out in which I had a larger than normal incision because I had a gall rock instead of just having some stones, I showed mynthen yearlijg colt in hand. I HAD to, my mother, God bless her, had "tried" to show him the daybefore and he had reared up in the make up ring and came down on her shoulder. I couldn't let him get away with that behavior as he is an actively shown and bred stallion now. I got the point across and he is a very well behaved animal.
    \"In all manners of opinion, our adversaries are insane.\" Mark Twain

Default Flat out craziest thing is probably what I did...

My car broke down, I needed to get feed out to my horse at the barn. Just before Christmas I walked carrying a 50# bag of feed almost 15 miles. I didn't even get offered a ride till about 3 miles before I got there.
    " iCOTH " window/bumper stickers.
    http://bluemoongrafixva.webs.com

6 members found this post helpful.

This is a very entertaining thread. What is the Eq diet?!

@WannabeDQ the Eq diet (there is a post on it a few scrolls down) changes barn to barn and most barns don't even have it. It is either super high protein intake and not much else, a ephumism for eating disorders, a joke when you eat junk food or a crash diet
    Thanks everyone for responding!
    My Horse Show Photography/ Blog

I love how crazy we horse people are.

I rode the day after I had my gallbladder out. The surgeon claimed it was a bad idea, but what did he know? He only went to med school, he wasn't a rider.

I have a serious medical condition, chronic pancreatitis. I've gone back and forth with my doctor for almost 4 years about riding. He claims it is unwise and that there is too much "bouncing and stopping" involved. (Technically, he is saying I am risking ripping my dear little pancreas to shreds because of the location against the spine and the fact mine is already damaged.) I ask him to come ride so I can show him it isn't like that and he always declines saying he is not a horse kinda guy. I tried to explain that is you ride correctly there isn't much bouncing involved, that you actually bounce more in a car. I like to say that his views of horses and riding are hogwash.

To this day he thinks I am out of my mind. I tell him I'll do everything else he wants but the riding is non-negoitable. He still tries but I think he's accepted that he's lost the battle. In fact, I now send him emails to let him know when I've won ribbons at shows. Just so he knows that the "risky behavior" has a reward.
    Hope Blooming- Life with Chronic Pancreatitis

My blog: Life with Pancreatitis

Quote Originally Posted by horsetales View Post
    Somehow managed to get him from living in the city with once a wk school horse lesson to buying a 30 acre farm and breeding
    You're my idol. Share your secrets with me, oh masterful one.

I'm working on getting my DH to pick up and move to Ocala.

4 members found this post helpful.

Molded my whole life around the ability to own and keep my ponies. This includes the job to fund it and the lack of the social life growing up. My parents are still hoping 40 years into this that I will one day spontaneously outgrow it.
    Proud to have two Gold Prince POAs!
    Takaupas Top Gold
    Gifts Black Gold Knight

9 members found this post helpful.

I used to sacrifice my health for my horses. Now, if i'm not feeling well, I don't push it. I won't do a full hour lesson. If it's too cold, I won't ride because then I'll end up being sick.

I love my horses more than anything, but I've found that if I push myself to my limits, I end up having to take more time off.

2 members found this post helpful.

I guess I have to admit to getting back on and riding in a 2 hour
    Julie Winkle clinic with a sprained MCL, torn meniscus, and tibial plateau fracture that occured immediately after mounting. I wish I could say I've become wiser with time, but this happened last Thanksgiving weekend. Since PT has only made it worse, I'll be scheduling repair surgery later this week. Hopefully my DH will keep me from being stupid during the recovery.

I had my 1700lb horse flip over on top of me, step on my helmet and leg while getting up. I shattered one rib, dislocated two, tore most of the muscles in my back, tore the muscles in my right calf, fractured my back in two places. Never went to the hospital and kept riding!

I ate my horse's horse biscuits while walking her for colic for hours on end because I was too afraid to leave her to grab the granola bar in my car.

I'm sure I've done some crazy stupid stuff for horses. Most of them should probably never be talked about, hahahah! ;]
    "This is a strange, new, and different world we are stepping into. In order to keep walking forward, we must learn to cope. And not only cope, but thrive. So take big, bold steps." - Myself

2 members found this post helpful.

I've been lucky with injuries and such. The worst I can think of is riding with 2 pink eyes. I was NOT gonna miss my dressage lesson! And horse showing in 30+ degree celsius weather with a bad fever. Good news was that I sweat that fever out of me and by the end of the day it was gone! Which was good cause I still had 3-4 days of showing left that weekend!

I taste everything before I give it to my horses. Always have, since I was about 12 (19 now). Dewormer, feed, treats, you-name-it-I've-tried-it kind of deal My favorite is the apple flavored gel Ivermectin. It's smooth but slightly tart

I hopped on my then 3 year old QH stallion in a 16 acre pasture and had a full round of W/T/C the day after a surgery on my shoulder to remove skin cancer, against the doctors advice to "not move at all for a week"

I know I've done a lot of crazy stuff, but I have horrific short term memory loss and can't think of any of it

Rode with a fractured sternum, it hurt so bad to release that I'd do a round get off puke get back on do another.

Rode with a smashed knee cap . No stirrups for a few months was great for me

Used to get up at 3:30/4am so I could get a few horses ridden before I had to be at work at 7:30.
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

Quote Originally Posted by grandprixjump View Post
    My car broke down, I needed to get feed out to my horse at the barn. Just before Christmas I walked carrying a 50# bag of feed almost 15 miles. I didn't even get offered a ride till about 3 miles before I got there.
    Point and game.

Wow! I'm no horsewoman in comparison, grandprixjump.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by zafirah View Post
    I taste everything before I give it to my horses. Always have, since I was about 12 (19 now). Dewormer, feed, treats, you-name-it-I've-tried-it kind of deal My favorite is the apple flavored gel Ivermectin. It's smooth but slightly tart
    'k, that's weird. But good on you for making sure "it's not poison" before you feed it to the 4-legged royalty.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

6 members found this post helpful.

Oh gosh. Mine isn't as crazy as some of these.

Sprained my ankle and doctor's orders were NO ACTIVITIES! I was out riding a horse probably a few days later. Won't forget the jarring feeling in my ankle while trotting! OUCH! And that was a month after the initial sprain, but during a really bad flare-up. Never went to the DR right when it happened like I should have.

I snapped my ankle in half riding of course, and had my first A show coming up in a few months. This was when you mailed in entries a couple of months before the show. As it turned out the cast ended up close to 4months on , and by the calendar was due to.come off three days before the show. So the 15yr old me somehow convinced myself that I had to ride with the cast on the entire 4mths.
    Today however 30 years later if I had the choice to do it do it again... With an ankle that should have been surgically rebroke when the cast came off, and still swells up to the size of a Mellon... I don't know if I would do it again... but maybe who knows
    Friend of bar .ka

You should join the infantry

3 members found this post helpful.

Most recently - spending $490 for a vet visit that only included a lameness exam and hock x-rays.

Seriously, I think I could pay off my house on what I've spent on horses in the last decade. It's not like I want to be a spendthrift, but everything is so expensive...

1 members found this post helpful.

Island of Heart Surrounded by the Sea of Intuition

NOW THAT'S DEDICATION!!!!!!
    The Love for a Horse is just as Complicated as the Love for another Human being, If you have never Loved a Horse you will Never Understand!!!

1 members found this post helpful.