The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

SCM1959, would you mind posting a pic? Or PMing me one? I have my horses in what sounds like a similar outside pen setup and wonder if perhaps putting the pellets down over the top of the gravel would be helpful to give them a soft place. I'm not sure if your setup includes any shelter or is completely exposed to the elements as ours is.

I have had another adventure with Photobucket, but I *think* the following link will work for pictures of the pine pellets in Rocky's outside pen:

http://s1177.beta.photobucket.com/us...lvin/library/#

Okay, just checked ... this will bring you to my photobucket page. Click on Pine Pellets from Tractor Supply in Outside Pen and you will see the 7 pictures I took this afternoon.

Oh wow - that looks PERFECT for what I'm trying to do. I was afraid if it got too wet, that it would just cause more problems. Thank you, SCM1959!

It is truly just amazing stuff! It rained very steadily all day long on Wednesday and when I went out to clean up the manure and fluff the pellets, they were dry underneath. On Thursday morning, when everything around the pen, including my front lawn, still had standing water, the pellets were almost dry. I fluffed them up and turned them a little by raking at them with the manure fork and they were just lovely. Rocky lies down often which pleases me because before I put these pellets into the pen, he was not lying down to rest. I can tell he has been lying down because he looks like he has been "breaded", ha, ha. The weatherman has forecast another drenching rain tonight into tomorrow, but I know the pellets will stay put and will stay comfortable.

I used 20 bags of pellets @ $5 per bag - so $100 was all I spent for this very cushiony (is that a word) pen!

Remind me how big your area is? I need to do three, 12x12 stalls, starting from scratch, but it will be over crush and run, not mud.

SCM it looks fantastic!!! Yours is bedded super thick and cushy.

This picture shows the difference in what my field looks like inside the pen (with pine pellets) and outside the pen (MUD!)

And here is a picture of pine pellets up close (I need to add a few bags!)

katy... my area is 30' x 24' and I needed maybe 10 bags to get a nice covering, then add a few bags every couple of weeks. For a 12 x 12 stall I am guessing you would need 5 bags? Start with less because you will be shocked at how much more you have once you wet it down. It expands like crazy.
    "No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle" - Winston Churchill

Check out Central Virginia Horse Rescue

I knew I should have measured my pen.... I am not sure how big it is. My husband estimates 10 feet by 20 feet. I purposely used a lot of pellets since my horse needs to stay in there for 30 days and I wanted it to be very soft and cushy. OTTBCooper is correct ... the pellets expand like crazy. It is amazing. I used 20 bags and could probably have gotten by with 15.

Thanks!

Okay - it's installed. I'm not sure I wet it enough. I sprayed it w/ the hose, but just until damp. How much is enough?

Quote Originally Posted by katyb View Post
    Okay - it's installed. I'm not sure I wet it enough. I sprayed it w/ the hose, but just until damp. How much is enough?
    I only wet them until damp and they still look like pellets. In the morning it will be a different story You will have to let us know hat you think. There will be so much more volume wise and it will be nice and thick and cushy.

1 members found this post helpful.

Checking in here to let you know that we have had two and one-half days of steady drizzle and my pellets are holding up beautifully. For the first time today I had to shake the manure fork a little bit more as the pellets sort of clumped up since they were so wet ... they did not just sift through the tines. But still, so much better than getting the tines of the fork stuck in grass/weeds/roots and the bedding is still thick and cushiony soft. My horse looks like "Shake and Bake" since he is still laying down full out for sleeping. We are supposed to have one partial day of no drizzle and then it is coming right back at us. Ugh. Thank goodness I have the pellets!

Also, still NO MUD peeking through at all. Absolutely amazing.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by OTTBcooper View Post

I only wet them until damp and they still look like pellets. In the morning it will be a different story You will have to let us know hat you think. There will be so much more volume wise and it will be nice and thick and cushy.
    I hope so - I was afraid to wet them too much. My husband is dubious, but I think they'll work for us. Of course, my dingbat horses thought they were food at first.

Mine all still looked like pellets after I sprayed them lightly, too. And, because I used 20 bags of pellets, I could actually see pellet shapes for a couple of days when I raked and turned them over. But - you will be amazed at how much each pellet expands. Mine have been down over a week now and we have had some really steady rain. They now look like sand. The good thing is, they stay put and they are still cushy soft for my horse, even though they are pretty damp. We have one more day of rain coming and then wind and then 2 days of sun, so I expect they will be dry again by Friday. I hope you like them!

Well, I got one stall just right, and it looks great. The other two need more spraying....which is hard to bring myself to do, in the rain - lolol!

The rain finally stopped at about 2 PM today. I was outside picking manure and for the first time since these pellets were put down (February 4th), my boots made a sucking sound as I walked. We have had so much rain it is not even funny. However, in spite of how saturated the pellets were, there is still no mud showing through. Rocky still had a nice lying down nap at about 4 PM, so it must still be soft. I am glad it is windy outside now; that will help dry things up. Sun for the next two days, thank goodness.

I know what you mean about having to go out in the rain. I am so over that! I am glad that at least one of your stalls is just right. You will get a feel for how much water to spray on the pellets!

We had 13" of rain in January, February has also been wet, and we ended 2012 way over for rain. I'm almost ready for another drought.

I know what you mean about the rain ... pretty much the same here. The weathermen still say we are in a drought (???) and Lake Hartwell (manmade lake that is tied in with others for hydroelectric power) is so far down that in some areas all you see is mud and grass. This makes no sense to me. Perhaps all of the rain only fell at my place?

All this wet and muck is why I was so worried about Rocky when the vet said he needed to be confined for 30 days. I envisioned a horse covered head to toe in mud, who would not lie down in the muck, and whose feet would be all nasty and thrushy if I couldn't figure out how to keep him dry. As I said in an earlier post, our sheltered area took a beating during some recent storms, and trees came down. We had just started the work on clean-up, re-grading, etc. and here came more rain, plus my husband has been out of town nearly every day this month. These pellets have been a lifesaver!

I am looking forward to a few days of sun. See if you can keep the rain in your area, ha, ha.

Just an update on the pine pellets in my outside pen. My horse had to have 30 more days of confinement; hopefully when the vet comes on April 2nd, Rocky can be turned out into a small paddock.

The pine pellets have been amazing! They were first put down February 4th. That is over seven weeks! I have scraped off the top layer and raked them heavily several times, to keep things as dry as possible. We have had record rain in our area, of course. Finally today, I put down 3 more bags.

Rocky has done so well in this pen. I am so pleased that it has never gotten to that "suck your boots/shoes off mud" stage. And it does not stink!

Everyone jingle that Rocky has a good report on April 2nd. When the vet came last time, he was thrilled with the progress but felt that 4 more weeks would be the belt & suspenders approach.

Same results here It's been weeks since I added any bags. I pick it out and rake it daily. I can say... I switched to pine pellets in the stalls off my "pen" after the baby was born (GOD I HATE STRAW) and I have to say I am not pleased at all with them in a stall. It's just like a giant disgusting litterbox and it makes me want to strip it every single day. I'll be going back to sawdust in the stalls, and sticking with pine pellets in the pen

JINGLES for Rocky!!!!