The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

101 degree temperature made me decide to try to get the bags of pellets tomorrow. I hope I feel better. Weather report is for buckets of rain on Wednesday, of course. My hopeful plan is to drop my toddler off at his preschool program and then go to TSC to buy pellets.

I am so hopeful that this less expensive way to combat mud will work.

Just 3 hours before my little one goes to bed. I will go to bed in 3 hours 5 minutes.

If it's going to rain a bunch, I wouldn't put the pellets down yet. You're just going to waste them I think.

I've used them outside but always in a run in situation, not out in the open in the rain. So your mileage may vary on that....

FEEL BETTER SOON!
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

I put them down right before a ton of rain and it was wonderful. Once the rain stopped, I was able to rake them out really nicely. My only advice would be to keep them in a smaller area so you are able to spread them out well once the rain stops. I hope you are as thrilled with how well they work as I am.
    "No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle" - Winston Churchill

Check out Central Virginia Horse Rescue

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ayrabz View Post
    OTTBCooper: just wanted to say, your post, explanation and how you added photos is really well done and helpful ! (You guys are making me a bit worried about my expensive interlocking mats in my 12x24 run in.....uh oh.....HOPE I don't regret it, due to slippery???---and ReSomething: thanks to your (!) helpful hint, I guess I can always pick em up and flip em over! )--- love this board.
    I always take, take, take on this forum (so addicted- great advice on practically every topic) so I'm glad I could actually be of help for once!!

I would not worry about your mats, if you haven't noticed them being super slippery they shouldn't be a problem. You could always put shavings or pellets down on top. If you did put pellets down on top of mats, definitely water them well so they are cushiony.

Quote Originally Posted by OTTBcooper View Post
    I put them down right before a ton of rain and it was wonderful. Once the rain stopped, I was able to rake them out really nicely. My only advice would be to keep them in a smaller area so you are able to spread them out well once the rain stops. I hope you are as thrilled with how well they work as I am.
    PS I definitely wouldn't water them much if you put them down right before rain!

Here I am back again ... my sickness was the flu and I have been out flat. Thank goodness my husband got home from his business trip and took over the horse care and toddler care jobs. Now I am better, and our toddler has the flu, but nowhere nearly as bad as I did. This, by the way, in spite of both of us having the flu shot.

I am on my way now to get pine pellets from TSC. I just called and they have a whole pallet of them and hooray for me they are on sale!

Thank you to everyone for your responses. I am so looking forward to getting these pellets into the pen for Rocky. I am sure he will love a comfy place to lie down and I know the manure picking will be easier.

Quote Originally Posted by SCM1959 View Post
    Here I am back again ... my sickness was the flu and I have been out flat. Thank goodness my husband got home from his business trip and took over the horse care and toddler care jobs. Now I am better, and our toddler has the flu, but nowhere nearly as bad as I did. This, by the way, in spite of both of us having the flu shot.

I am on my way now to get pine pellets from TSC. I just called and they have a whole pallet of them and hooray for me they are on sale!

Thank you to everyone for your responses. I am so looking forward to getting these pellets into the pen for Rocky. I am sure he will love a comfy place to lie down and I know the manure picking will be easier.
    I was wondering how you ended up liking them! Glad you are feeling better, hope the baby doesn't get any worse

Definitely update once you have them down! I picked up a new load several days ago but the frozen ground and snow have prevented me from getting then down.

Default Success!!!

OTTB Cooper, I cannot thank you enough for the pine pellet bedding idea for my horse's outside confinement pen! I got 7 bags on Sunday, not knowing how many I would need. I put them out yesterday and then went back this morning and bought 13 more. They were on sale for $5/bag.

For $100, I have been able to bed the entire pen and manure pick-up is a breeze! My horse laid down for most of yesterday afternoon and I saw him lying down this morning when I peeked out at 7 AM. I love how the pellets fluff up and expand and seem to renew themselves overnight.

So much easier than rubber mats and obviously so much cheaper! I was able to empty and spread all 20 bags of pellets by myself in spite of being energy depleted from having the flu.

61 degrees is the forecasted high for this afternoon. I have a feeling Rocky will be taking a nice sunbath/nap before too long.

Thank you again. I love COTH. "Anything you want to know about horses....."

SCM1959

2 members found this post helpful.

Are you all using the TSC brand? Some of the reviews say the store brand isn't that great, so I just wanted to verify you all like those. My barn is being built right now, and I'm thinking of trying this before mats. I have a base of 2" gravel and then tons (24 of them!) of crusher run in a 24x24 area.

Yes, the TSC brand. I did not read any reviews - I just went on OTTB Cooper's recommendation and the pictures she posted toward the beginning of this thread. $5 a bag for a 40 pound bag.

I think y'all have convinced me to try adding some pellets to my run-in. Don't have a mud problem, but the footing is just plain old sandy orange fill dirt and it gets dusty. I have the same base in my stall, but it has several bags of fine shavings worked into it from when my old guy had to be on shavings instead of straw after a choke, and I've noticed that it seems much less dusty/dirty where the shavings have mixed in, even after several months. I'd thought I might just get some bagged shavings to try, but it sounds like the pelleted bedding might work better...

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Oh, good. I'm glad to hear that the TSC brand is good. I noticed they had some when I was there earlier. I'm going to try this, on top of my crush and run, before going to the expense of mats. My older mare has some arthritis, so I want it to be cushy for her.

SCM: Wooohooo!!! Yipppee!! So glad it worked as well for you as it did me. I am totally sold on the idea, doesn't it seem like each day when you go out there is even more there? It's so nice and cushiony too I find that my ponies spend even more time in the run-in now.

katyb: I have used both the Guardian pellets (what my coop carries) and the TSC kind; they seem pretty similar to me and I do not have a preference, I buy whatever is cheapest. I believe the negative reviews on the TSC kind were that they got dusty which obviously isn't as much of a problem when using outdoors in the run-in verse using in the stall.

bdj: totally recommend giving them a try. I don't think I'll ever use shavings again. There is virtually NO waste.

Day 3 with the pine pellets and I swear, they have expanded to three times the original coverage! I am fascinated with this stuff and wonder where it has been all these years?

I cannot describe enough how easy it is to keep this pen clean with these wonderful pellets. It doesn't hurt that Rocky is exceptionally neat, but I think even with a pig horse, it would be easy to clean up the manure.

Love these pine pellets!

SCM1959

1 members found this post helpful.

I wish I could find someone that would deliver a load like the sawdust guy!!

I am probably driving everyone crazy with all of my posts about these wonderful pine pellets, but I have to report about today. We have had a steady rain all day long. I look at the muddy areas in the pasture and even on my front lawn and the water just sits there in puddles. It is terrible everywhere EXCEPT in the outside pen where my horse is confined. In that pen, which is bedded with pine pellets, it is lovely and fluffy! You would think the pellets would be totally soaked. They are not! I was out there at 4 PM, cleaning up the manure piles (simple and easy and quick) and I raked the pellets around ... under the top layer, they were dry and fluffy. I checked again at 7 PM ... still soft and nice. My horse is shod on all 4 feet. He is not a pacer in this small pen, but neither does he just stand there. You would think he would at least churn up the area, but it just looks lovely. Surrounding this pen, the water is running all over the ground; the clay just does not absorb anything much and the grass is non-existent since it is winter. I am just thrilled with these pellets and am so happy that my boy has a soft, clean place to be during this enforced confinement.
    Last edited by SCM1959; Feb. 7, 2013 at 08:13 PM. Reason: punctuation

3 members found this post helpful.

I am just thrilled you are as happy with the setup as I am! Same thing for me, the entire area around the pen is a disguisting muddy mess. Inside the pen? Lovely, cushy bedding that is so easy to clean! Another win for COTH!!

In the winter- like now- I use the pellets with some shavings on top so the horses can lie down somewhere fluffy when we just have hard frozen ground.

In warmer months, just pellets.

This idea of using them outside is interesting. I have a few muddy spots I'd like to even off.

Ruth0552, I am going to throw a couple of bags of pellets in the sunken area in front of one of our gates to see what happens there. $10 is so little to spend and I figure why not try it.

Quote Originally Posted by SCM1959 View Post
    Ruth0552, I am going to throw a couple of bags of pellets in the sunken area in front of one of our gates to see what happens there. $10 is so little to spend and I figure why not try it.
    I did that once...didn't work out well for me. Just ended up in deeper, churned up mud a couple of weeks out. If you're going to dump anything...I would dump stone dust.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant