The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Gelding scar tissue

Hi there! I was wondering what excessive scar tissue would look like or feel like. My gelding has had stiffness in the hind end since he was gelded. The vet checked him out 2 month after surgery and said he was healing well and everything looked good. But I'm not sure how well he looked. It's now been 5 months and he is still stiff and also makes a lot of "honking" noises. Both testicles had dropped before he was gelded.

I have a picture if that would help

Post a picture.

You don't say the age at which he was gelded. How was the surgery done? ( standing? laying out flat). Did he fall hard or abnormally when going down to where he could have hurt something? The noise you describe I have usually heard at the trot and seems to come and go on those who make it. Some say it is due to a dirty sheath, but who knows.

At 8 weeks post surgery he should be fully healed by now.

He was 2 1/2 years old. He was laid down with a table and had no trauma that I know of but he hasn't been the same since.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y12...33EBCC939D.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y12...33F00F0837.jpg

I had a 5 month foal gelded last September. 3 to 4 weeks after gelding he was very quiet and looked a little short behind. I thought possibly he was a bit infected so vet came and opened it back up, but there was no infection in there, but the side he looked short on the vet could feel a lump up inside. I think he said its the testicle cord not healed properley or something like that. He said give it another 8 weeks (by which time it should have healed) and if he was no better then he would have to go in to the clinic and they would open it back up and remove the lump of tissue or whatever it is. Couldn't see anything from the outside. He was fine by 8 weeks and not had any problems since.

That sounds familiar. Very quiet and seems uncomfortable behind even at a walk but especially at a trot. I've had him to all sorts of vets thinking it was a lameness issue but it started when he was gelded. At that time I just figured he was sore. Then I really never mentioned it to the vets

Anyone else have any experience with gelding scar tissue. Do you think it's possible looking at the pictures that this has anything to do with his gait abnormality? I know the pictures are hard to decipher because he is a paint. But one shows his sheath with the scar and the other is zoomed in.

Easier to see picture. The strap is the leg strap on his blanket

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y12...ps9f3298d5.jpg