The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default A YakTrax kind of morning!

Went out to feed the horses and the porch steps were covered with ice. Holding on to the railing I descended them and then found that the stone dust below was also SOLID ice! Turned around went back inside and put on my new YakTrax Pros. I have had regular ones before but the pros are heavier and have a strap that goes over your shoe. Anyway I was able to make it safely to the barn to feed.

No way am I putting the horses out though until it melts. I gave everyone extra hay and left them listening to Margaritaville.

Be careful out there in NOVA!!

That's what we will be getting shortly. So far this morning we've had snow about 6:30 AM, which turned to sleet about 8:30 AM, and it's supposed to turn to freezing rain and then plain rain. Right now the horses are out but I'm keeping a close watch because the snow will turn to ice when the rain hits. Right now it's just soft slushy crap.

Forecast for the next few days are for temps in the 40's to almost 60F which means the snow and ice will hopefully melt fast. I know I'm lucky in that I've only got about 1-2" of snow on the ground. Those people up closer to Lake Ontario probably have between 1-2 foot.

I've gotten to the point that I really HATE Mother Nature. It used to be that we had winter and snow all winter. Now we seem to have snow, warm enough to melt the snow and turn it to ice. Then more snow on top of the ice.... A very nasty vicious cycle for those of us with horses trying to turn out. I'm thankful I have an indoor that I can put the horses in to stretch their legs and get some exercise but that means multiple trips to the barn because I won't put hay in the indoor for them to eat because of the sand base.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Love those Yaktrax. I've had some for years and won't go without them. I have a pair of the Pros but haven't needed to try them yet. The first pair I got from the place I was working at then. They were bright orange. Easy to find if you lost one in the pasture. Now I have black ones for dressing up.