The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Supplement for Hindgut - Forco?

Anyone ever used this product? http://forcocolorado.com/horse_supplements.htm

I'm in need of a supplement that contains Sacchromyces (1st ingredient) for hindgut maintenance. This one seems to be the most cost-effective. Any comments/suggestions appreciated.

Thanks!

I've got a friend who swears by this stuff for her horse. I don't think she uses it for "hindgut management" but does consider it vital for keeping weight on her horse, and other probiotics have not performed as well.

1 members found this post helpful.

I have been at two barns where Forco was used exclusively, and it didn't work at either barn. Not quite sure why they kept buying it? If you're looking for something that will actually work, try AssureGuard by Arenus. Helped my mare out so much, her attitude changed noticeably. Not as cheap as Forco, but in my experience, much more effective.

However, I think some people on this board have had great success with it. Research both products and ask your vet for a recommendation, he/she will know what is best for your horse.

1 members found this post helpful.

Forco contains Saccharomyces cerevisiae, which is plain brewer's yeast.
    Saccharomyces boulardii is the strain that has show some ability to help the hind gut heal. It is more expensive, and not in the list of Forco's ingredients.
    Research the two strains of yeast and then you can make an informed decision.

2 members found this post helpful.

[QUOTE=csaper58;6866747]Forco contains Saccharomyces cerevisiae, which is plain brewer's yeast.
    Saccharomyces boulardii is the strain that has show some ability to help the hind gut heal.QUOTE]

This is helpful because I didn't know the difference and hadn't yet investigated further. Thanks!

Why don't you use Succeed . It works amazing. You may also want to look into changing your horses diet.

On my vet's recommendation, I put my 'prone to gas colic' horse on a hind gut supplement with saccharomyces (Proviable) ... have not had any more issues in over a year and he is in fabulous condition.