The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoMare View Post
    Kolibri, THIS is what you're looking for: http://www.frankdibella.com/vans_search

Alas, they're not cheap
    Let me get back to you once I win the lottery and find a job that pays 6 digits :P yeah lol... Nice but... Wow... I think that's a bit beyond my budget... Slightly...

Yeah, I figured... but they're nice to drool over!

Oh and Welcome to COTH!!!
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

If you are not using your tow vehicle as a main vehicle the argument can also be made that you won't be spending too much on gas since you'll only be using it when hauling. That's another point you could maybe use to win hubby over when considering larger trucks. Also keep in mind that if you spend a little extra for a diesel, you'll be saving money in the long run with better fuel mileage.

Personally I don't like towing with anything smaller than a 3/4 ton truck, even with a small 2 horse trailer. My daddy always told me growing up, much safer having too much truck than not enough.

Thanks But no, my husband is dead set against buying my own horse trailer and truck. I will belong to the group "begging for rides" for yet a while longer...

I am aware of the better mileage of Diesels and no matter what, when my car one day falls apart, the next one will be a Diesel Stick Shift (Manual). Preferrably the one my mum has.

Renault/Daja Duster (unfortunately they don't exist in the USA either :P But I"m also happy with an American car with the same specs as that one). But that's a 4WD SUV (very popular for horse trailering in Germany, but obviously not here, again :P ) and a diesel fuel milage of 40 miles / gallon ... Can't beat that ...

But ... *le sigh* since that is still so far the only thing more fun and cheaper in Germany than over here, I still prefer living and working here :P I like the States

Look for a used Mercedes-Benz ML300 CDI or a Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD (same engine on both).

I know the Jeep has a 7000 lb tow rating. I expect the M-B to be the same or close.

1 members found this post helpful.

I have the Jeep Grand Cherokee with the V8 Hemi and factory tow package. It pulls my Brenderup Baron like a dream. It's rated for 7200 lbs.

My coach had a client who hauled (a Brenderup, I think) with her VW Tuareg. Her German DH was a gearhead and beefed up the Tuareg as a tow vehicle.

My 2002 F250 Ford Diesel Powerstroke gets 23 MPH. I can pretty much pull Kansas off the map. Tell me how many smaller vehicles get that kind of mileage. And can tow anything over a baby stroller.

Quote Originally Posted by mjhco View Post
    My 2002 F250 Ford Diesel Powerstroke gets 23 MPH. I can pretty much pull Kansas off the map. Tell me how many smaller vehicles get that kind of mileage. And can tow anything over a baby stroller.
    Call Europe and ask.

the brenderup single horse trailers are designed to be pulled by smaller vehicles. Wish i could afford one, just cuz they're awesome!!