The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Trailer & Car combination question.

Hey
    I am fairly new to this board here and have to admit I love the overall mood here. I found it warm and welcoming Thank you all for that.

Now, I am also very new to horse ownership. I don't have a trailer of my own, and so far always was lucky to have friends trailering me when I needed it. But this is not a permanent solution I feel...

I have a 4WD Hyundai Santa Fe. And a 750lbs 15.2hh horse. Is there a trailer light enough in existence for that combination? How much do they normally sell for Are they rentable, too?

Thanks already for all your answers,

K.

"Kolibri;6804242]Hey
    I am fairly new to this board here and have to admit I love the overall mood here. I found it warm and welcoming Thank you all for that.

Now, I am also very new to horse ownership. I don't have a trailer of my own, and so far always was lucky to have friends trailering me when I needed it. But this is not a permanent solution I feel...

I have a 4WD Hyundai Santa Fe. And a 750lbs 15.2hh horse. Is there a trailer light enough in existence for that combination? How much do they normally sell for Are they rentable, too?

K."

I don't think so.
    Trainer's website - photos of my horse Airborne under About and Francesca Edwards also in media page 1

http://www.patricianorciadressage.com/

The highest tow rating I can find for the Santa Fe is 3,500 pounds.

IMO, any combination is going to be pushing it for that vehicle, especially if you are in a hilly area.

Yes, you could do it, and probably get away with it for a long time, but that vehicle just does not give you any cushion if things go awry.

BTW, most 15.2 horses we have put on our digital scale are between 1,000 and 1,100 pounds.

1 members found this post helpful.

Maybe with, like, a Brenderup which is made extra-light. And if you had a really good tow package on your vehicle.

But I agree with airhorse in that, at least, 750 pounds sounds pretty low for a 15.2 hh horse.
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

That must be one skinny horse.

Quote Originally Posted by gumshoe View Post
    That must be one skinny horse.
    I thought the same thing when I saw that. A 15.2hh horse should be AT LEAST 900-1000 pounds for a more refined breed. QH's and Draft crosses could easily be in the 1300-1500 pound range at that height.

I know of people that have hauled Brenderups (Baron and Royal) with the Santa Fe, but they struggled on anything other than flat terrain. You'll tax your engine and transmission to do it with any regularity. I haul my brenderup with a 6cyl. 4WD Chevy Trailblazer but the 6cyl. is large and I have upgrades done to the truck to make it a safer haul vehicle.

If I were in your position, and couldn't change haul vehicles, I'd do a Brenderup solo (one horse trailer) and haul sparingly until a slightly beefier towing vehicle could be had.

Quote Originally Posted by Kolibri View Post
    Hey
    Give it a few more days...

K.
    I would NOT tow a trailer with a Hyundai anything
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

2 members found this post helpful.

No. If you got a hitch and transmission cooler professionally installed, you might technically meet the specs for the smallest Brenderup, but it would be too close to the limit for me to consider safe.

the Brenderup solo, maybe.

They are not cheap to buy - if you can find them, and as far as I know you can't rent them either.

I am not familiar with the car and I am too lazy to look at it.

but you do need a good size sedan/SUV/Wagon to pull a horse trailer of the Brenderup style.
    But for the price you can buy a old truck and regular US made trailer.

(BTW, are you German?)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

As you are new to horse ownership and also (fairly) new to these boards, you obviously haven't witnessed the wrath that generally erupts over "cars" pulling horse trailers, lol... Be prepared to receive some snarky responses!

Anyway, I'll do my best to give a rational reply...

Rentable horse trailers are hard to come by, at least where I live-- I've only found one place that rents them. Actually they have ONE they rent-- a mid-grade 2H BP, which would probably be over your vehicle's tow capacity EMPTY much less loaded.

As Brenderups are rather hard to come by and worth a pretty penny even used, I HIGHLY doubt you will find a B'up to rent. And a single-horse B'up is about the only thing you could tow with your vehicle...

As others have said, towing with your Santa Fe wouldn't be the greatest idea, for a number of reasons... Just about any vehicle can PULL a horse trailer, but STOPPING is another matter. Stopping slowly and gently is all well and good, until you have to do it quickly-- and a Santa Fe just doesn't have enough "muscle" to safely and quickly stop a loaded horse trailer without risking a jacknife or a rollover.

Also, if you DO decide to tow with your Santa Fe (which I assume is also your "daily driver" vehicle), you will be subjecting the Santa Fe to a whole lot of extra wear and tear. (Call your dealership and ask them what it would cost to replace your transmission when it gives up the ghost!)

Rather than spending the extra $$$$ trying to find a light-enough trailer to haul with-- I've seen used B'ups approaching $10K-- you would be better off going on CL, finding a cheap BUT CAPABLE tow vehicle that is your dedicated trailer-pulling truck, and a used regular-weight 2H trailer. That way your daily driver doesn't get the added wear and tear, your horse gets hauled safely, and you can probably accomplish this (truck AND trailer) for LESS than the cost of a used B'up.
    *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by cnvh View Post
    As you are new to horse ownership and also (fairly) new to these boards, you obviously haven't witnessed the wrath that generally erupts over "cars" pulling horse trailers, lol... Be prepared to receive some snarky responses!

Anyway, I'll do my best to give a rational reply...

Rentable horse trailers are hard to come by, at least where I live-- I've only found one place that rents them. Actually they have ONE they rent-- a mid-grade 2H BP, which would probably be over your vehicle's tow capacity EMPTY much less loaded.

As Brenderups are rather hard to come by and worth a pretty penny even used, I HIGHLY doubt you will find a B'up to rent. And a single-horse B'up is about the only thing you could tow with your vehicle...

As others have said, towing with your Santa Fe wouldn't be the greatest idea, for a number of reasons... Just about any vehicle can PULL a horse trailer, but STOPPING is another matter. Stopping slowly and gently is all well and good, until you have to do it quickly-- and a Santa Fe just doesn't have enough "muscle" to safely and quickly stop a loaded horse trailer without risking a jacknife or a rollover.

Also, if you DO decide to tow with your Santa Fe (which I assume is also your "daily driver" vehicle), you will be subjecting the Santa Fe to a whole lot of extra wear and tear. (Call your dealership and ask them what it would cost to replace your transmission when it gives up the ghost!)

Rather than spending the extra $$$$ trying to find a light-enough trailer to haul with-- I've seen used B'ups approaching $10K-- you would be better off going on CL, finding a cheap BUT CAPABLE tow vehicle that is your dedicated trailer-pulling truck, and a used regular-weight 2H trailer. That way your daily driver doesn't get the added wear and tear, your horse gets hauled safely, and you can probably accomplish this (truck AND trailer) for LESS than the cost of a used B'up.
    ah, just a note: the Brenderup brake system is designed that once the trailer pushes agaisnt the vehicle the brakes engage...just a side note as to why you don't need a full size truck to haul one. Nor fancy electric break systems.
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Thanks for all the answers ... Yes, originally I am from Germany and they trailer very often with cars smaller than our Santa Fe but have not seen that done here in the states... As for the pounds... I think I messed up Kilos and pounds again. Garrrr... I'll never learn that...

I guess I will have to remain in the trailer ride begging group for a while longer. No way hubby is going to support a new car for me :P

Edit: double post.... Sorry

Thanks for all the answers ... Yes, originally I am from Germany and they trailer very often with cars smaller than our Santa Fe but have not seen that done here in the states... As for the pounds... I think I messed up Kilos and pounds again. Garrrr... I'll never learn that...

I guess I will have to remain in the trailer ride begging group for a while longer. No way hubby is going to support a new car for me :P
    Hey, guys love trucks!

I think you've made a wise decision Kolibri. We can get snarky sometimes, but there are lots of good folks here who know lots, as you have seen. Anyways, welcome to the board.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Haha, No , Alagirl, my hubby only sees the gas mileage and he reacts to a truck like a cat to a hoover... He doesn't love trucks...
    I really hadn't seen car/trailer combinations in the US. Hence my question because from back home I know differently and it confused me.
    Doesn't help that DH is from Europe as well and thinks the Santa Fe is enough....

Like... We trailer those: 2-horse trailers http://m.kleinanzeigen.ebay.de/s-anz...enger/98293878

Btw.. Used they cost 1500 EUR which is roughly 2000 USD ... Have I actually found the first thing ever thast's cheaper back home? :-)

Like this...http://www.google.com/search?q=pferd...iw=600&bih=904

But since trailering here is so different, I'm not even going to try :P ... Thanks Louise

The trick is, don't think of it as a "new" vehicle. Where husbands are concerned, never EVER refer to the anticipated tow vehicle as "new"-- always ALWAYS remind him that it is USED, and more importantly, CHEAP, and possibly cheaper than a new transmission for the Santa Fe, lol...

ETA, I see your Hubby is not a truck fan; ah well. All the more reason to have one IN ADDITION TO, rather than IN PLACE OF, your daily driver. I'd hate to drive my truck daily either; the gas mileage would murder my budget.
    *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"

Haha, No , Alagirl, my hubby only sees the gas mileage and he reacts to a truck like a cat to a hoover... He doesn't love trucks...
    I really hadn't seen car/trailer combinations in the US. Hence my question because from back home I know differently and it confused me.
    Doesn't help that DH is from Europe as well and thinks the Santa Fe is enough....

Like... We trailer those: 2-horse trailers http://m.kleinanzeigen.ebay.de/s-anz...enger/98293878

Btw.. Used they cost 1500 EUR which is roughly 2000 USD ... Have I actually found the first thing ever thast's cheaper back home? :-)

Like this...http://www.google.com/search?q=pferd...iw=600&bih=904

But since trailering here is so different, I'm not even going to try :P ... Thanks Louise

Is DH German, too? he sounds like my Dad!

And yes, you have found the first thing that is cheaper back home. Beer is the other. Good beer that is.

I particularly liked this rig tho:
    http://www.pomy-toys.com/katalog/img...-s-navesem.jpg

But yes, the tow vehicle would be a used one, a using truck.
    And seriously, another thing that is different form home, you really will appreciate the option of getting your own stuff hauled in the bed of a truck.

Kolibri, THIS is what you're looking for: http://www.frankdibella.com/vans_search

Alas, they're not cheap
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    Is DH German, too? he sounds like my Dad!

And yes, you have found the first thing that is cheaper back home. Beer is the other. Good beer that is.

I particularly liked this rig tho:
    http://www.pomy-toys.com/katalog/img...-s-navesem.jpg

But yes, the tow vehicle would be a used one, a using truck.
    And seriously, another thing that is different form home, you really will appreciate the option of getting your own stuff hauled in the bed of a truck.
    Hehe don't put down on the beer too much. I came here a completely arrogant beer snob, but actually managed to find very good beer here as well. Fat Tire astounded me, and some of the micro breweries get almost thed same taste as some of our German beers. If you like Landbier (heavy, sweet), some Alt Beers from the micros are really good.

The bed of the truck might yet win hubby over. Sometime in the far future. Once i find myself stuck somewhere and only a rig of my own will safe me : P

Scots and Germans have a few things in common. The fear of cars using too much gas is but one of them. :-)