The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thanks, everyone! One of the humane societies nearby posted pictures of dogs they will have available for adoption soon to their Facebook page. One is a ~1 year old, low-key Australian Shepherd mix. I went by to visit today and he was not available to see since he's in the quarantine area being treated for Kennel Cough, but they put my adoption application in his file and said they will call me once he's available The volunteers said that he only arrived yesterday, but from their interactions he seems super sweet. His behavioral assessment from the previous shelter looked great too (they will also run their own test on him). Fingers crossed!!

I feel a little nervous about adding a second dog...I hope that's normal!! Not bad nerves, just that it will be a big change
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by mg View Post
    Thanks, everyone! One of the humane societies nearby posted pictures of dogs they will have available for adoption soon to their Facebook page. One is a ~1 year old, low-key Australian Shepherd mix. I went by to visit today and he was not available to see since he's in the quarantine area being treated for Kennel Cough, but they put my adoption application in his file and said they will call me once he's available The volunteers said that he only arrived yesterday, but from their interactions he seems super sweet. His behavioral assessment from the previous shelter looked great too (they will also run their own test on him). Fingers crossed!!

I feel a little nervous about adding a second dog...I hope that's normal!! Not bad nerves, just that it will be a big change
    Hope this guy works for you he sounds charming
    - B.U.T I don't know if I'd expect him to remain low-key once he's happy & settled
    (it's not exactly a breed characteristic of any Aussie/Aussie mix I've met )

Nervous-excited is just fine

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    Hope this guy works for you he sounds charming
    - B.U.T I don't know if I'd expect him to remain low-key once he's happy & settled
    (it's not exactly a breed characteristic of any Aussie/Aussie mix I've met )

Nervous-excited is just fine
    Yeahhhh, I think you're quite right. I took him home yesterday as a two week foster and holy. cow. I think I was mislead about his energy levels. I was told he wasn't high energy, just could get rude at the door when taking him out for walks. I can deal with door rudeness, so thought no problem! I was surprised at him being described as such...should have trusted my gut! To be fair, it was the description from the sending shelter, not from my local place.

He is the CUTEST thing ever, only 25# and looks to me more like a Border Collie x Papillion to me (basically looks like a very small BC with Pap influence in the ears and tail). He is very snuggly and is an absolute riot. I believe he could have been the perfect dog for me 3 years ago when I had time to really dedicate to hardcore training, but I'm not so sure about right now. He would make a very very cool agility or fly ball dog, but I'm not sure I'd ever be able to trust him off leash at the farm :-\

I'll give him time to settle in and see. If nothing else, it's a good learning experience and it will give the humane society a much more accurate description of him from my fostering experience!!
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

We got our first dog as a puppy. At the time I was in school and had the ability to let him out in the middle of the day. We crate trained him and put puppy pads down.

A few months ago we decided to add another dog to the family. We decided to adopt a dog. The dog we ended up adopting is about a year and a half and was picked up as a stray so her past is questionable. We found out she wasn't completely house trained. We went on Craigslist and bought a crate and now she's crated when we are not home. When she goes potty outside we praised her and gave her treats. She has learned it is not ok to potty in the house and when she has to go out she wines.
    "There are only two emotions that belong in the saddle; one is a sense of humor and the other is patience."