The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thoroughly researching Leesburg.

So far, read many many good things about the town. I like the Washington Old Dominion Trail and other parks to bike/walk, and the "walkability" of the downtown historic area. Also love the proximity to Middleburg horse area, and the many other barns in Leesburg that I have been online browsing websites.

As always, tend to dislike traffic...as well as new construction/subdivisions/strip malls further out, but that seems to be inevitable anywhere you go and is therefore not really a determining factor I suppose.

One more question: some other forums have talked about living in Virginia over Maryland for tax purposes? Does anyone have a really strong opinion for VA vs. MD for reasons such as this?

Thank you thank you, this has all been wonderful information!

I live/ work in the Reston/Dulles area, commute to my horse in Pville and am a mid 20something and quite happy! Feel free to pm me.
    "And my good dreams? They all come with a velvet muzzle and four legs. All my good dreams are about horses."--In Colt Blood

COTH Barn Rats Clique!

One more question: some other forums have talked about living in Virginia over Maryland for tax purposes? Does anyone have a really strong opinion for VA vs. MD for reasons such as this?
    I believe MoCo has some of the highest taxes in the country (it is a VERY wealthy county. I think I've heard some pretty outstanding statistics on that, too). I can see that being a detraction for a lot of people.

I prefer VA over MD, but I am and always will be a Virginian.

As far as Taxes MD is taking lessons from California and electied officials answer to most budget issues is well, to increase taxes - right now they are discussing a gas sales tax + allowing counties to do their own thing with a gas tax; MontCo just added a 5 cent bag tax and who knows what else. MD is keen on preserving some rural and ag areas (Much of Poolesville is now in the Ag reserve so development is supposed to be limited - we'll see) MD just added the old Millionaires tax too -lucky me I don't fit into that category LOL. On the whole some things probably even themselves out - MD doesn't tax all groceries, VA does for instance.. I guess the main question is where are you planning to work? or do you have a job? JenR and Yellowbritches are pretty much right on w/ their posts