The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Hi doublete I just sent you a PM!

It is no attack, you said he could not get out of the stall, if he is so ill he cannot be moved, how in the world could he be placed? Observations about the efficacy of the contract and what was stated by you, yourself, that you do not know if he will recover or not, all observations. If he has been placed and he is safe, that is great. Good for him and for you. I have myself seen plenty of contracts and very few that stipulate fines, etc. I like a horse to be mine when I adopt it, and free to do with as I like. If I were to sell the horse, and then it ended up in a bad situation, it is very likely in today's courtroom that someone could twist that and hold you liable. Usually they are really not worth the ink that is spent on the paper unless you like to spend money on lawyers but certainly a sick horse needing months, perhaps a year of rehab, should have all kinds of strings attached. I hope that this works out for the best and he becomes a useful horse for whoever spends the $3 - $5,000 it will take just to feed and treat him to get him healthy.

Here is your quote about what was and was not good for the horse. Your self righteous anger has no merit.

"However, he is finally able to walk for about 15-20 minutes, and needs to be slowly rehabbed into turn out. It will help his recovery to be out of the stale air in the barns at the track. I cannot move him to my farm as he is simply too high maintenence right now I want to ensure he gets more than I can offer him away from the track."
    "I have brought on the hatred of Wall Street and I relish it".
    Franklin Delano Roosevelt

I wanted to forward the info to a friend but could not find him on the goodhorse.org website.

My sales contract has the same thing in it. My horses are not to be sold at auction, to a kill buyer or resold with the intention to sell to slaughter. Should that happen and I find out, I can sue for the costs to get the horse back as well as vet, shipping and at costs. I also added in that the horse is not to be raced, trained to race or even step foot on the racetrack. I have never had a single buyer refuse to sign. If they did....they can look elsewhere.
    RIP Spider Murphy 4/20/02 - 10/31/10

So I assume this horse has found a home,as I have not heard from anyone???

I am so rarely on this site, we are however in the midst of evaluating an adoptor.

Calamber... Learn to read. He is in need of a different situation as he is AT THE RACETRACK right now. We do NOT HAVE TURNOUT. And I am not at my farm nearly enough to move him there. I can't be there for the time he needs to keep an eye on him the first few times he is turned out. Why??? Because he can't be allowed to run the fence and get himself worked up. Have you ever taken a horse off the track? Have you ever taken one that had an injury or a lung problem such as him? Would you yourself, should you get sick with pneumonia, allow yourself to go run 2 miles before working yourself up to it? No. The doctor would (as my vet did), recommend SLOW rehabilitation and recovery back into former exercise. So please try reading before you state what you think is right. I would recommend being more informed when replying.

Quillcote.. I'm not online often and don't check this site often I did reply to your pm. He is being adopted through a rescue (a well known one that has a contract requiring references, etc) and we do have someone with first refusal right now. For now Opie and I are patiently (or not so, depending on how you look at it) waiting to hear if she passes the rescues standards.

Goodhorse.org took him off their site and I could not get a return email or phone call as to why when he was not placed. I guess because as usual, politics mean they couldn't use his placement to benefit them if I went through a rescue.

Honestly, people wonder why it is so hard to place horses safely off the track. Its very frustrating.
    Race training and retraining Thoroughbreds.

Hi, doublete, how are you, its me, Inyureye from the old pedigree board - just wanted to say good luck with Opie, and I know you will find someone to take him. I would feel confident about taking him 'as is' if I were in a position to take another horse, which I am not at this time. Spend some time in turn out, work in hand this spring, learning new things, being a horse, learn to be a good citizen, grazing while I read a book on a rock, going for walks, growing a little more heel starting on some walking rides later in the sppring or summer. Love the OTTB mind, and have taken along a few of them. I have a horse now, and no matter what happens he'll stay with me, and I will in the next couple years be getting a second one. My second horse will be an OTTB like Opie, but sadly now is not the time. Anyway, if I can see it, someone else will too. Hope all is well with you. Nice to run into you again.
    Trainer's website - photos of my horse Airborne under About and Francesca Edwards also in media page 1

http://www.patricianorciadressage.com/

Again thanks! I hope Opie finds his right human!!

He is adorable! I wish I was closer!

Regarding contracts...
    As someone who frequently takes in rescue horses, rehabs them, and then adopts them our for either free or a very small donation... A contract is a very small price to pay. No, I will not go one "blind trust" and give you an animal who has previously been abused and let you do as you will. I will come by and check on them, I will call you and expect a call back, I will expect emails being answered, and furthermore this is about mutual respect of an animal in peril. Be THANKFUL someone else loves your horse enough to give you a contract that reads "give me the first right of refusal."
    CasperTheWonderPony

I used to belong to Casper. Now I belong to Charlie (first and foremost), Perris The Heiress, Bella Lua, and Blanca and Gypsy the miniature donkeys.

Quote Originally Posted by Casperthewonderpony View Post
    He is adorable! I wish I was closer!

Regarding contracts...
    As someone who frequently takes in rescue horses, rehabs them, and then adopts them our for either free or a very small donation... A contract is a very small price to pay. No, I will not go one "blind trust" and give you an animal who has previously been abused and let you do as you will. I will come by and check on them, I will call you and expect a call back, I will expect emails being answered, and furthermore this is about mutual respect of an animal in peril. Be THANKFUL someone else loves your horse enough to give you a contract that reads "give me the first right of refusal."
    You must have missed something Casper, it was the wording that says that there will be fines attached, a little extraordinary. Never said no contract, and never said there should not be a right of first refusal. Contracts are still only as good as the person who signs them, and out of state, they are nearly impossible to enforce.
    "I have brought on the hatred of Wall Street and I relish it".
    Franklin Delano Roosevelt