The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 6 yo 16.1 hand TB gelding recovering from pneumonia- MD

I have Opie listed on Kim Clarks website here in Maryland (TPR).

His registered name is Operative, and he is a very sweet young horse with good bone and good size. His last race was a few days before Christmas, and unbeknownst to me and everyone in my stable, he was sick. Within a few days he became very ill and by Christmas day we were not sure he was going to make it. Laurel and Bowie at the time had many sick (upper respiratory), and my poor vet treated around 5 horses on Christmas all with pneumonia.
    After lots of care and antibiotics, he is on the road to recovery. His lungs are still very weak, and he is in need of some TLC and rehab. He will never recover to race again, and may not be able to do much strenuous work either. But honestly, I have no idea. I have no desire to push him to try.
    I"ve had him for about a year and a half, and won two races with him. I enjoyed getting on him, as he has a great mouth, and is a spunky young man. He will not be suitable for an inexperienced rider, and again, I really don't know what he will be able to recover to do. It is possible he can do low level jumps and dressage, but I'm not sure how the vet would establish that yes he could. He is sound otherwise.

However, he is finally able to walk for about 15-20 minutes, and needs to be slowly rehabbed into turn out. It will help his recovery to be out of the stale air in the barns at the track. I cannot move him to my farm as he is simply too high maintenence right now I want to ensure he gets more than I can offer him away from the track.

He's a very sweet, in your pocket type horse. Under saddle he can be a bit "much", but never more than just a young energetic horse. The vet has said he is ready to be rehomed, and I would like to find the ideal spot for him asap. He needs a different spot than his stall at the track.

Thanks please text or call Katie at 617-817-7936. He is stabled at Bowie.
    Race training and retraining Thoroughbreds.

1 members found this post helpful.

Someone must be willing to help opie finish healing!

I had one mare who had pneumonia twice and pleuritis once and came back to run the highest beyer of her career, a 93. New Bolton gave her a 50/50 chance to live and she was hospitalized there a week and at a rehab place for a month. She was a very bad bleeder after all that due to the scar tissue in her lungs so we had to treat her carefully but it didn't hinder her performance at all and she is eventing at age 14 with no problem. Not saying you should run him again but pointing out that the outlook might not be as bleak as you fear. FYI, I have rehomed close to 100 horses via COTH but couldn't place a single one without pictures. People have to see the horse to make a connection I guess. I can post them for you if you need me to.

There are pics on Kim Clark's site but ill get some to put up.
    He was a bad bleeder prior to this so racing is a definite no no now but I have hope that you are right!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (1).jpg 
Views:	318 
Size:	16.5 KB 
ID:	37574Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	318 
Size:	16.5 KB 
ID:	37575

Here he is! What a handsome guy! I should add that I have a thread on here about one of my horses who had pneumonia 7 times by the time she was 3 years old. She is retired from racing but is doing fantastic in her new home and has no limitations.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (2).jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	11.3 KB 
ID:	37576  

Thank you Laurie!!!

He's really going stir crazy... Needs a new home ASAP

Bump

I have handled this handsome boy at the track. He is a good looking boy and has a good temperment. Will settle right down when off the track and be someone's lovebug! let him get healthy and take a chance on him!

Bump for Opie - he is also listed here (scroll down, search for Opie):

http://www.goodhorse.org/Looking_for_a_Home.html

Someone needs this guy in your barn!

Looks like Opie found his home! Hurray for Doublete and TPR!

3 members found this post helpful.

Ummm no he didnt!?

I did have him placed I thought, but the potential home refused to sign a very standard adoption contract which definitely raised enough red flags that I was unable to look past.

2 members found this post helpful.

Good for you! We are the only advocates they have and it is up to us to choose wisely. Hope he gets the perfect home soon. He should be well on his way to recovery by now.

Quote Originally Posted by doublete View Post
    I did have him placed I thought, but the potential home refused to sign a very standard adoption contract which definitely raised enough red flags that I was unable to look past.
    Just curious--what was in the adoption contract that the prospective owners objected to?

Sorry that I'm too far away to adopt Opie--he's very cute!

The part following "horse may not be sold at auction or sent to slaughter" which said if that was violated the adopter could be liable for legal fees. Their argument was although to most it means not for auction/slaughter, they felt legal wording can be read however the reader wants meaning they could be sued if they didnt send updates every 6 months or somehow didnt do what the contract asked.
    I honestly didnt see it as it is an extremely standard contract and the red flags were endless.

FYI, it is not a standard contract when you threaten legal fees. I would not sign that either, too many red flags for me, ie strings attached. Ask Bev of Mid-Atlantic Horse, what her contract states. I am pretty sure she has the horse's interest in mind too but is much more reality oriented. This horse is recovering from pneumonia, you are not sure what he can do in the future, and you are asking someone to take him on, and then threaten legal fees which you feel will protect him from ending up in auction or the slaughter house and right now you cannot even give him the time to get out of the stall? In reality, how many people would sign such a contract? Perhaps you can amend it a bit to protect the new owner and the horse.
    Last edited by Calamber; Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:18 PM.
    "When written in Chinese, the word "crisis" is composed of two characters, one represents danger, the other represents opportunity."

John F Kennedy

Asking them to agree to something without a penalty for not following through on that agreement is a waste of time. I think the contract is fine as is. I think only someone who was hoping to preserve the out of dumping the horse at New Holland if he proved to be unsuitable would balk at signing that. Perhaps if you put in the contract that you would take the horse back at any point in time regardless of his condition they wouldn't have to worry about that out of sending to slaughter?

2 members found this post helpful.

Good for you, Doublete for seeing the red flags and calling a halt to the whole deal. Have you put him on the Retired Racehorse Training Project website? http://retiredracehorsetraining.org/

He's a beautiful horse. Someone will be very lucky to have him.
    "The captive bolt is not a proper tool for slaughter of equids they regain consciousness 30 seconds after being struck fully aware they are being vivisected." Dr Friedlander DVM & frmr Chief USDA Insp

Regarding the contract it is not mine.. it is s well supported rescue in the area.. and they use it for all of their adoptions.

And fyi calamber why don't you read the post? It is s rescue that's placing him and they will take him back. And time to get out if the stall? Again think and know before you post. You just made my blood boil. He is an ex racehorse that got sick. He was recently released by the vet but at the track he cant be turned out and I do not have resources to turn him out safely at my farm. He must be placed from the track.
    But please think before you attack. He id being extremely well cared for and protected. And every contract ive ever seen mirrors this particular one! So honestly. Get a clue. If there is nothing in the contract that States you cannot sell at auction or slaughter and if that contract does not provide for a legal remedy if that part of the contract is violated then what.in the heck is the good of that contract!!!!

3 members found this post helpful.