The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Thoughts on this Passier GT Saddle?

Hello!

Long time listener, first time caller.

I’m hoping for your thoughts on this lovely Passier GT saddle. It’s one of my trainer’s old saddles, and I love it. The only other saddle I’ve liked quite so much is the Theo Sommer 2000 I use when exercising one of the horses at my stable. I’ve been in the market for a nice used saddle, but due to my budget, I’m somewhat limited.

I’ve emailed Passier, and they’ve told me:

“The saddle with the serial number 211 745 is a GT dressage, size 17.5", havana-brown, medium tree width of KE 27,5 cm, flap girth, NO gusseted panel, NO deep seat. The saddle was built in November 1986.”

Considering it was born the same year the Beastie Boys released License to Ill, it’s in pretty good shape. A tear on the knee roll, and a fairly long split in the leather along the seat are the only flaws I can see (other than normal wear and tear). The leather is soft and supple, and it rides like a dream. For me, anyway. Also I dig the retro brown leather with white piping.

Anyway, I can't seem to post (or figure out how to embed) pictures, so I've uploaded them here:

https://plus.google.com/photos/10070...CJac99vPvNbeAQ

So…what do you think? How much would be a fair amount to pay? Is the split seat a deal breaker for you? If not, and I purchase it, should I get a seat saver (I've seen thin suede ones that might do the trick) to keep the split from getting worse?

It will be used for lots and lots of schooling and maybe a schooling show or two.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

PS - Yes, those are black Wintec Webbers I've stuck on there! If I do buy it, I'll get brown.

I am addicted to saddle shopping and I considered similar saddles. In my travels, I saw saddles of that vintage and type selling for $300 to $400. With those flaws (the damage to the flap would be visible to a judge) I would say about half of that range.
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    I am addicted to saddle shopping and I considered similar saddles. In my travels, I saw saddles of that vintage and type selling for $300 to $400. With those flaws (the damage to the flap would be visible to a judge) I would say about half of that range.
    Thank you! I am not sure what she will ask for it yet, but if that is the case, my budget allows for more. While I am tempted to wait for something without a tear, part of me would rather save the cash for future saddle or the great pile of horse-related stuff it seems I am constantly purchasing!

For the condition your proposed saddle is in I would probably pay max $300. Check the flocking, though - I tried a Passier GT and Grand Gilbert in my recent saddle search and both needed reflocking. That was going to run me and additional $200 at least. If you're going to spend money reflocking, you might consider just finding a saddle (even another GT, there are tons out there) in better condition and paying more. I wound up adding the cost of reflocking to my budget and buying a custom saddle on consignment for $900 that was beautiful, comfortable and ready to use.

Quote Originally Posted by twelvebelles View Post
    For the condition your proposed saddle is in I would probably pay max $300. Check the flocking, though - I tried a Passier GT and Grand Gilbert in my recent saddle search and both needed reflocking. That was going to run me and additional $200 at least. If you're going to spend money reflocking, you might consider just finding a saddle (even another GT, there are tons out there) in better condition and paying more. I wound up adding the cost of reflocking to my budget and buying a custom saddle on consignment for $900 that was beautiful, comfortable and ready to use.
    Thanks, Twelvebelles. Though I really like this saddle, it is good to be reminded that it might need reflocking in the future...right now it feels nice and soft! But, you're right, for a reflocking fee + $300 I could buy a saddle in better condition, even another GT. Something to definitely consider.

If the tear in the seat does get "too" big...it costs a lot to replace a seat.. maybe $600...that's just the seat..add reflocking and repairing the flap..cha ching.

It's a $100 in its condition (says the passier collector snob)
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Thanks, Fairtheewell and Petstorejunkie!

I've never had a seat replaced in a saddle, and, upon reading Fairthewell's comment did some Googling...yikes!

Petstorejunkie, I always love to hear a Passier snob's opinion on price! For $100, I'd take it just to ride around in a saddle I love until I find one in a better condition that would not need much repairing.

Full disclosure: I've ridden my whole life (since I was 6 - I'm now 37 - yeesh!), but, when my horse (lovely Honeycomb) died several years ago I stopped, gave away all my gear and swore to never ride again. Three years later...I'm back riding (shocker). But have no saddle. Well, I do have one. a Wintec AP I bought on a whim on Ebay (because I also foolishly thought I never wanted to ride dressage or have lessons again). Well. That lasted maybe three months (the no lesson/dressage thing - not the AP saddle).

For over a year now I've been riding in my instructor's dressage saddles (trying them all out) along with the saddles attached to the horses I sometimes exercise. As you can imagine I'm desperate for a saddle of my own that is not my Wintec (which is great for trails but not so much for schooling). However, my experience shopping for one is fairly limited, since I had the same horse for about 20 years and hardly switched up my saddle. Maybe three times?

All this advice is greatly appreciated!

I think the $300-$400 figure is fair. I'd recommend having a saddler or knowledgeable fitter check the tree to be sure it's all ok. You could have the seat patched for under $100 (or thereabouts) or replaced for about $600, and have the knee pads patched or replaced (under $100 for the former, about $250 for the latter). Do check the flocking as well, as others have suggested; if it's been well-maintained, it may need no more than an adjustment, but if it needs a strip flock, that's around $300.

As much as I like old (especially GT-georg thedorescou because of the comfort factor) passier saddles (and my youngest one is from 84, my oldest from 62), that saddle is in ROUGH shape. Too much to redo (you can find them in good shape from 600-1000), so send the saddle pix (to a passier trained saddle maker like Jochen http://www.schleese.com ) and ask what it would cost. Knee roles are easy, flocking only perhaps needed, but the seat is not so easy. I would say only 100-200. You can also write passier to ask about the repair costs (and they have used saddles for sale).
    I.D.E.A. yoda

Quote Originally Posted by Gtmochi View Post
    Thanks, Twelvebelles. Though I really like this saddle, it is good to be reminded that it might need reflocking in the future...right now it feels nice and soft! But, you're right, for a reflocking fee + $300 I could buy a saddle in better condition, even another GT. Something to definitely consider.
    Unless the saddle fits your horse perfectly right now, you could easily spend $100+ having it fitted to your horse. Once the fitter opens up the saddle, they might recommend replacing some of the compressed wool.

Personally, I would not buy a saddle with that much damage. You are looking at $600+ to replace the seat and another $100-200 for knee roll. I think you could find one of that vintage or younger in better condition for less than $500.

I would want someone to check the tree, too.

FWIW, there are a lot of nice used saddles out there in better condition that won't break the bank.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

First of all, I agree with the above, only it costs more to have a saddle adjusted to fit a horse. I just paid a total of $230 to have a tree adjusted and then flocking adjusted. I hate reading the humblebrags in these threads about the $300 saddle from eBay that fits like a custom! Why doesn't that ever happen to me?

Secondly, have you checked CL lately?

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv...555101116.html

. Enabling...
    A helmet saved my life.

I am super glad I posted about this saddle here – so much stellar advice! I have a lot to consider and research.

And, thanks, Bristol Bay, for being such an awesome enabler. Now, in addition to loitering on Dream Horse and pretending I have a huge budget ($25,000? Sure!), I’ll skulk about on CL and look for saddles.

As of now, I don’t own a horse, though I do lease one. She is wonderful but will never be for sale, so that’s that. I’ve got a little bit of a crush going on one of the horses I ride, but his price would be astronomical. So, I am focusing less on my saddle fitting a specific horse and more on one that will fit many horses decently. And then when I do buy one, I’ll cross my fingers the saddle will fit my future mystery horse.

On the saddle front, you all have helped me immensely! I had misgivings, and, hearing those echoed (along with solutions and suggestions) has made me less…barn blind, so to speak.

Thanks again!!

By the way, there are now three GT or similarly minimalist Passiers on eBay. Prices range from $200 to $400 without major blemishes or tears.
    A helmet saved my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    By the way, there are now three GT or similarly minimalist Passiers on eBay. Prices range from $200 to $400 without major blemishes or tears.
    Oh, word?

(goes and checks)

I'm on it! Thanks, Bristol Bay - definitely going to look into scoring one!