The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

on sticking...I have one horse that has sticked 16.2 by the vet and by me. She's a nice sized mare. I'm 5'9" and more than comfortable on her. Had a lady looking for a jumper (this mare is easy peasy jumping 3'6" and what the woman was looking for). She came out (was substantially shorter than me) and sticked the horse. She said she wasn't 16H. NO idea how she got the mare to stick that short. And didn't bother to try her. Was a huge waste of everyones time including my own. I now will not bother with any buyer who is so set on a horse being a particular height.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

BFNE, have you considered that that could have just been an excuse? Maybe buyer realized she couldn't afford/horse color didn't match her tack/was off her meds and knew she couldn't buy the horse and was just pulling out a red herring?

Sounds like it to me. Probably a blessing that she didn't even try the horse. Wasted less of your time then if she'd ridden. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Camstock View Post
    BFNE, have you considered that that could have just been an excuse? Maybe buyer realized she couldn't afford/horse color didn't match her tack/was off her meds and knew she couldn't buy the horse and was just pulling out a red herring?

Sounds like it to me. Probably a blessing that she didn't even try the horse. Wasted less of your time then if she'd ridden. :-)

True but she drove several hours....I think she was just a wacko who seemed to think if the horse wasn't 16.2 it couldn't jump the courses for her. She was highly concerned with how she "looked". Which is odd...because IME, most riders who REALLY do the Jumpers don't care about size...they care about clearing the jumps. But really odd is the mare is definately 16.2....I might accept that you could stick her at 16.1 1/2 but there is no way she is shorter than that!

It worked out in the end anyway but I'm now more sensitive to certain statements....that I think clue me in that the person is not one who I want to sell a horse to any way
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

I had a woman come out insisting that she could only look at a horse that was 15 hands tall, Now the breed standard for Fjords is 13.3 to 14.2. I thought I was clear that my sale horses were in that range with the exception of one who was 14.3. This latter horse was not in consideration because I required a show home for him given his performance record. This lady arrives, expresses shock that I have small horses, then insists on looking at one that is not listed for sale. This horse sticks at 14.2 but she insisted he was taller. Hey, what do I know.....have an aluminium stick, but not eyes that have been calibrated by the National Bureau of Standards.

I never was so happy to see a horse throw in a buck at the canter. I could have kissed him. Normally I would be appalled, but getting rid of this buyer was imperative. Sometimes you dodge a bullet. I am sure the horse knew.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

1 members found this post helpful.

To be clear on my sticking issue, if you or a vet has actually sticked the horse and gotten a different measurement, that's one thing.

I'm talking about guessing or eyeballing, or deliberating inflating the height. My Men's heavyweight hunter search was years ago before digital photography was ubiquitous, so when I called a seller and told them my client was a 6'3' 200+ lb. long legged man who was hunt staff, and they assured me that the horse would fit him, I was not amused to find a leggy, light boned TB who only sticked 16.1 because of her TB wither.

So my list is still a legit height measurement, good confo shot, photos of the horse doing what it's advertised to do, not a lot of flowery adjectives in the description and a *short* video without annoying background music.

jeeze, I buy and sell and refer buyers and sellers, so I've been on all sides of the ads (or lack there of). For $2,000 you cannot expect oscar calibre video but you can expect to get in your truck and drive to their barn/yard/showgrounds. At $2k, if the horse isn't local and I've seen a photo that proves it's not a sway back nag and some sort of proof identity, I wouldn't expect the seller to make a big production cuz some of us are lucky if we can get someone to follow us with a camera...

Quote Originally Posted by McGurk View Post
    I used to say I was the only person in Central Virginia who actually owned a stick and used it.
    Worst of all was when I was looking for a true heavyweight hunter for a big and tall man who hunted hard. I gave up on carrying the stick, and started carrying his saddle, putting it on the prospect and pulling down the stirrup. Anytime the stirrup tread hit the elbow or below I said "next." It saved a lot of "He rides bigger than he looks." Or "He takes up a lot of leg."
    LOL I tend to carry a stick too and use it. When we go hunting for the husband horse I'll just take his saddle. He's long everything so a short neck/back/height horse just doesn't work for him. .

Op, including a picture of mom saddled up and doing something is not a bad idea either. If it's a baby. I will be the first to admit to being horrid about judging babies so I tend to look for ads with the mom in them. If it's a grown horse I want a great conformation shot with and without a saddle. Rider up is fabulous and I agree with others on the jump shot if it's flattering.
    Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
    Originally Posted by alicen:
    What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.