The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation Best pull on bell boots

I have gone through way too many pairs of pull on bell boots!

My young horse over reaches a lot to the point where he has scars on his heel bulbs!

The bell boots I buy don't seem to last at all and the ones I just bought were too thin and flimsy.

What brand and where do you buy good longer lasting rubber bell boots?

Have you considered using something else?

My mare cuts through rubber bells like she has a knife on her feet - I finally switched to using Davis boots, which are frequently used on cutting and roping horses.

These are the ones I use. I trim them down a little so they fit my mare's feet better (she has very small feet!), but they last forever and really do a good job protecting her.

Samotis is offline Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

I keep them on him all the time so not sure those are meant to be on all day?

The worst cuts he has had have been in the pasture playing, so I don't like to leave them off!

http://www.chicksaddlery.com/page/cds/PROD/BB2425

Have you tried ones like those? We use those on our racehorses while they are out on the hot walker. The back panel is pretty heavy duty, on the good ones (I know nothing about that particular brand, but the Profressionals choice ones hold well pretty well). They stood up to months of horses with mega toe grabs bouncing around in them

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

I have succesfully used Davis boots for 24/7 wear. They do hold up better than anything rubber!
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

I also think the Davis boots can take more abuse than rubbed pull on bell boots. My horse lives in the Davis boots. I take them off to ride but he wears them on turnout and usually in his stall. Doesn't seem to be a problem. Other horses at the barn do too. I just make sure to get a size that fits and periodically clean them.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

I think the Davis boots are ugly :/

I use these and LOVE them!

http://www.doversaddlery.com/easy-st...FQf0nAodClkAPA

buy a size up than you use in Italians.

I love Italian bell boots...but they don't last quite as long as the easy stretch.

Original Poster

I wondered about the Italian boots.

I think I had them once before and they lasted a little longer.

I will take a look at the others, I just really prefer the rubber pull ons!

I like the Easy Stretch better than the Italians...I think they last a lot longer and are less expensive to replace.

Remember, the natural gum will stretch better than the white or black ones.

I have become a bell boot expert due to my baby horse's propensity for a) pulling shoes and b) eating bell boots. The ones that keep his shoes on best are the regular Davis ones with the velcro in XL. However, he likes to eat velcro. (Yes, even if it is smeared with any variety of disgusting no-chew substance you can think of. He is an idiot.)

The ones that he will NOT eat are the very expensive Italian pull-ons, but only if they are not the gum ones. He likes to eat the gum ones- he chews little pieces off. Sigh. The cheaper pull-ons don't have a long enough drop for him, as their XL is about an inch shorter than the Italian XLs. But these aren't as thick as the Davis so it is easier to pull shoes. However, if your horse doesn't have enormous feet, the cheapo pull-ons can be found with much thicker bottoms, and I would use them if I could.

The Davis are thick and tough (unless your horse has a taste for velcro), and I never have a problem leaving them on 24/7 (um, except for the velcro-eating issue).
    You can take a line and say it isn't straight- but that won't change its shape. Jets to Brazil

Quote Originally Posted by foursocks View Post
    I have become a bell boot expert due to my baby horse's propensity for a) pulling shoes and b) eating bell boots. The ones that keep his shoes on best are the regular Davis ones with the velcro in XL. However, he likes to eat velcro. (Yes, even if it is smeared with any variety of disgusting no-chew substance you can think of. He is an idiot.)

The ones that he will NOT eat are the very expensive Italian pull-ons, but only if they are not the gum ones. He likes to eat the gum ones- he chews little pieces off. Sigh. The cheaper pull-ons don't have a long enough drop for him, as their XL is about an inch shorter than the Italian XLs. But these aren't as thick as the Davis so it is easier to pull shoes. However, if your horse doesn't have enormous feet, the cheapo pull-ons can be found with much thicker bottoms, and I would use them if I could.

The Davis are thick and tough (unless your horse has a taste for velcro), and I never have a problem leaving them on 24/7 (um, except for the velcro-eating issue).

your horse sounds special

2 members found this post helpful.

Original Poster

Yes, he chews everything. I can't wrap him because he tears them off.

He ate the first two pairs of bell boots off, but now is getting used to them.

These last ones lasted a week. ;(

I need to buy stock in bell boots.

I just don't like the bell boots that Velcro and don't move. It seems they would be uncomfortable.

The rubber pull ons don't rub and work great, until they break!

My favorite favorite bell boots are the Eskadron, but I don't use them on the hard-on-bell-boots horse. Only the Davis seem to work for him. I don't use the no-turn ones, just the regular.
    ~Veronica

Oh, and for the person whose horse removes velcro-- have you ever tried putting them on inside out? They work just as well. A little tricker to get on... but you have thumbs. And then he doesn't when he tries to remove them
    ~Veronica

Hmmm.....thanks, vxf111- I will try that. Although, he has a prehensile lip, so I am sure it will just become a super-fun game for him. He, like Samotis's horse, likes to remove things that are attached to him. I was sitting on him talking to someone once and in about 2 seconds he reached down, unbuckled one of his front boots, and started waving it around in his mouth.

Samotis- try getting No Chew or Quitt or some other gross anti-wrap chewing or anti-cribbing substance. It hasn't worked for mine, but he, like someone suggested above, is special. That might be a quick way to cure your boy of his chewing habit.
    You can take a line and say it isn't straight- but that won't change its shape. Jets to Brazil

1 members found this post helpful.

I love the KL Select pull-on bell boots:

http://www.smartpakequine.com/kl-sel...TopPick-_-6613

My mare wore a pair of them for an entire year. The only reason she's not still wearing that pair is because they sprouted legs and walked off after the farrier took them off to trim her feet. All the horses in our barn that need bells wear KLs and they last forever. They're expensive, but totally worth it because they're so sturdy. They're also very easy to pull on and off.

I like the Davis bell boots, except after a few months of being worn 24/7, it never fails that the bottom velcro closure will rip. After that rips, the boot doesn't protect nearly as well.

I am going to bite the bullet and buy a pair of the more expensive KL Select bell boots to see if they will last longer. They sure have good reviews on SmartPak.

I like the Beval bell boots, I can't find them on their website, but they're the thickest and longest
    My Horse Show Photography/ Blog

I used to use the regular Davis for riding (love them), but when I went to pads and extended shoes, I switched to pull ons that were long enough for his pads but also provided coverage for the shoe. The angle of way the Centaur sits works perfectly, which is more upright, rather then a slight angle of the Davis.

I've been using Centaur pullons in black for a while now (smartpak has them). I've like how they've held up and they were easy to put on, esp after I learned to put them on inside out. I also just leave them on and ride in them too. I just flip them up and hose off any turnout/debris so they stay comfy.

My horse wears a Med in Davis but XL in the Centaur.

Quote Originally Posted by Kat. View Post
    I like the Beval bell boots, I can't find them on their website, but they're the thickest and longest
    I haven't seen an appreciable difference between the Beval & KL Select bell boots. I go through about 4-5 pairs per year because my horse wears them 24/7 over his bar shoes. At $30+ a pop, it's painful. There may be a pair of pastel, glittery Davis boots in his near future...