The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Best place to find dressage horses for sale

So my dear Mom is looking for the perfect partner to help her get back into the swing of things after a bit of a hiatus. She has been riding my hunters for the past few years so isn't completely rusty - but is looking for an experienced dressage partner.

Of course the unthinkable has happened - we went to Europe with trainer and found the most perfect lovely horse for her. He passed the vet with flying colours and was to fly next Tuesday. Then of course yesterday he colics, is taken to the clinic in Germany and goes under the knife. Deal off - thankfully there was a 30 day guarantee on the payment. (Thankfully horse is going to be okay - but Mom is devastated).

As I said I am into hunter/ jumpers and have no idea where to begin looking for dressage horses for her.

I would appreciate it if anyone could help point me in the right direction!
    Braeburn Farms
    Collingwood, ON

Facebook

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

Quote Originally Posted by Braeburn View Post
    So my dear Mom is looking for the perfect partner to help her get back into the swing of things after a bit of a hiatus. She has been riding my hunters for the past few years so isn't completely rusty - but is looking for an experienced dressage partner.

Of course the unthinkable has happened - we went to Europe with trainer and found the most perfect lovely horse for her. He passed the vet with flying colours and was to fly next Tuesday. Then of course yesterday he colics, is taken to the clinic in Germany and goes under the knife. Deal off - thankfully there was a 30 day guarantee on the payment. (Thankfully horse is going to be okay - but Mom is devastated).

As I said I am into hunter/ jumpers and have no idea where to begin looking for dressage horses for her.

I would appreciate it if anyone could help point me in the right direction!
    If trainer found a great horse the first go round, why would you change anything ...
    I assume this is a dressage trainer who knows what suits your mom & knows how to assess a horse (& is industry knowledgeable)

If you're going to rule out any horse that has a colic history, that needs to be asked before any other consideration, make sure you have this in writing & a complete vet history on any prospect - though if horse has had more than 1-2 owners, chances are you won't know if there has been a prior colic.

I assume you have a decent budget & shopping will be fun

I would deal with Jeff at Impulsions Unlimited if I were to ever buy a nicer horse again.... http://www.impulsionunlimited.com/index.php/en/

From greenies to schoolmasters!

http://watermark-farm.net/

Thank you!

Yes alto still going to work with the trainer - I just want to be able to help out in some way and wanted to troll some dressage horse sites to see whats out there.

So true about the colic history - it can be hard to know if the horse has had more than a few owners. It's not exactly something that comes up on a PPE.
    Braeburn Farms
    Collingwood, ON

Facebook

Also these sites are great! Exactly what I was looking for
    Braeburn Farms
    Collingwood, ON

Facebook

If money isn't an issue: Irene Hoeflich-Wiederhold's Horses Worldwide. She probably has a lot of horses similar to what you saw in Europe. If you do go back to Europe to shop, get some backup horses

1 members found this post helpful.

Endel Ots and Caroline Roffman in Wellington.
    Lion Share Dressage-
    Highly recommend!!! and they have a HUGE selection!

Quote Originally Posted by SerenaGinger View Post
    If money isn't an issue: Irene Hoeflich-Wiederhold's Horses Worldwide. She probably has a lot of horses similar to what you saw in Europe. If you do go back to Europe to shop, get some backup horses
    Irene has really lovely horses, but be advised that most are not "experienced" dressage horses; most are 5-6 years old, well bred, very nice movers. More targeted to experienced ammys or professionals wanting a young horse prospect. That said, it wouldn't hurt to contact her and see if she has any suggstions/ knows of something that might fit. What level are you looking for? Is your mother also in Ontario?
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

Oh Braeburn, you have a gorgeous chestnut mare (Chaviva Voltaire) I was dying to buy from you to make my ammy hunter/eq horse. I ended up with another tall chestnut mare with chrome. (Maybe I have a type!)

Had to derail, couldn't resist, I really liked that mare!!
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

warmbloods-for-sale.com

I know and enjoy Jorge Gabriel at Casa Lusitana. I have known several of his horses (inclding Polo on "Horses Sold" page, who is currently a horse I am taking lessons on at my trainer's barn (patricia norcia, not Jorge Gabriel) and would thoroughly enjoy buying one of his horses, if I was in the market. http://www.casalusitana.com/ He imports and then trains his sale horses to a mid or upper level before they are sold.
    Trainer's website - photos of my horse Airborne under About and Francesca Edwards also in media page 1

http://www.patricianorciadressage.com/

Adult Amateurs who are not "21 anymore" seem to really enjoy the rideability/trainability and usually good nature of Lusitanos or PRE's. I hear they are usually easy to sit too.....Heather Bender has young ones, in Palm City but I am sure she has contacts for trained ones too. Good Luck, how fun to shop!

Sent you a PM.

There are loads of excellent prospects here in the States, many being offered by experienced breeders who post on this board.

But we aren't allowed to post our sale horses. However it's ok if some ELSE recommends us? Is that how it works?

Seriously Mods, this is severely unfair.

I would recommend deciding what sort of horse you are looking for (age, color, training, etc) along with a budget and a geographical area to limit you. Then simply start contacting dressage breeders who post on COTH. I doubt you are going to find any better horses in Europe than you will here in the States and you'll be supporting American breeders.

Quote Originally Posted by Braeburn View Post
    Thank you!

Yes alto still going to work with the trainer - I just want to be able to help out in some way and wanted to troll some dressage horse sites to see whats out there.

So true about the colic history - it can be hard to know if the horse has had more than a few owners. It's not exactly something that comes up on a PPE.
    Oh yes it does! My vet these days not only looks for a colic-surgery scar on the belly midline, she even looks at pasterns for signs of nerving; and this no matter whether the horse is selling for big $$ or small. She says it's amazing the stuff people "just don't mention!" Caveat Emptor!

Quote Originally Posted by dressageluv View Post
    Adult Amateurs who are not "21 anymore" seem to really enjoy the rideability/trainability and usually good nature of Lusitanos or PRE's. I hear they are usually easy to sit too.....Heather Bender has young ones, in Palm City but I am sure she has contacts for trained ones too. Good Luck, how fun to shop!
    Lusitano's are the original "hot blood" horse.....I haven't figured out why they are being marketed as amateur horses.

Different breeders focused on different breeding goals, so within the breed you will find hotter and and not so hot. But overall, they are hot, refined sensitive horses that require a rider with a confirmed seat.

Best place to get an AA horse is thru word of mouth referals.
    Do not confuse motion and progress. A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress.
    Alfred A. Montapert

I think partly because Iberian horses IN GENERAL have gaits that are pretty easy to ride. Not too much suspension in the trot, tend to hold their backs still and that's easier for some to sit...

The best place I have found to look for dressage horses of all levels and budgets is www.DressageMarket.com. Dressage Market allows you to search for dressage horses, the site is continuously updated with over 100 dressage horses currently and it is easy to use. I also love that they regularly send out newsletters with all the new horses. For example, here is the newsletter that I received today.