The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default cost of flying a horse from east coast to west coast?

Soo, I was looking at the canter cuties thread and it got me thinking (dreaming and drooling actually). How much does it cost to fly a horse from california to virginia/east coast? I'm just wishful thinking here, but it may come in handy to know.

$5000 +

More than the horse is going to cost...

Ground shipping you can get done for ~$2k give or take.

The above estimate on flying is pretty accurate; the flight itself may be a bit less, but then you have to pay to get the horse to the airport and it must be then hauled from the east coast airport to wherever you are. If you and horse are close to airport, not so bad; if its a few hours on either end, more $$. I flew a mare a couple years ago; used Tex Sutton; he picked up at LAX and dropped off at Palm Beach airport. There are another couple guys who arrange flights, but three are required to the same general location (a pallet); they are put on Fed Ex planes and they will land at more airports. But its really hard to fill the pallet...

I would guess shipping by ground will be closer to $3 grand, based on a quote a friend got a few weeks ago.
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

Hmm, interesting. There is an ever so *slight* possibility that I will need to ship the mare to NY from CA this year, so this is good info. Not to hijack, but do horses shipped via air need FEI passports and/or insurance? Also, does anyone know if horses can fly out of SFO?

Yup, it's about $4900 for the flight, a couple hundred bucks on either end for ground shipping.

They need only coggins and health certs, same as shipping ground domestically.

They don't use SFO- FedEx will fly into/ out of Oakland, Tex Sutton you have to ship to Ontario.
    When the boogeyman goes to sleep, he checks the closet for George Morris. -mpsbarnmanager

Quote Originally Posted by 2tempe View Post
    I would guess shipping by ground will be closer to $3 grand, based on a quote a friend got a few weeks ago.
    Sent two from Seattle to northern VA last year. It varies quite a bit depending on the shipper, route and stall configuration (stall and a half vs. box). Was quoted between $1850 and $2450 for 1.5 stall and $2300-$3000 for a box stall from Seattle to VA.

If you consider flying the more notice you give them you are far better off, especially if you don't need a exact date. That way they can fill a flight and it is cheaper. Tex Sutton does a great job, have flown with them a few times, actually with the horses on the plane. It is very easy on the horses, no so much on the pocketbook.
    Forward is good

BlueBuckets: I started w/ this company: www.equiairshipping.com
    When they couldn't fill a pallet they referred me over to Tex Sutton. Bruno at EquiAir was very nice to work with.

Wanderlust - yes, I was thinking of box stall as that was the quote my friend got for Seattle to Florida. But you are right, it can be a pretty big range, depending.

I opted for airfare partly for the horse's benefit and equally for my peace of mind, which wouldn't have coped well with what was looking to be a week long trip...

And reading another post, I think I was wrong on LAX; think my mare went to Ontario. Ah the memory gets fuzzy w/ age.....
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........