The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

OP-can you not ride in the morning, since you are a morning person? Then do chores at night?

In addition to bringing clothes to work, I make sure I have a substantial snack on my way back from work so I am only cold and tired, but not hungry.

For lights you could use something like these.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_394366-40642...hts&facetInfo=

Inexpensive and do a good job. At out previous farm we had a ring and I positioned these along one side and was good light to ride by. Make sure you tilt them down. Not good enough for jumping as they will create some mean shadows.

I am a morning person and used to ride before going to work as long as the temps were decent.
    "I couldn't find my keys, so I put her in the trunk"

Quote Originally Posted by FitToBeTied View Post
    For lights you could use something like these.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_394366-40642...hts&facetInfo=

Inexpensive and do a good job. At out previous farm we had a ring and I positioned these along one side and was good light to ride by. Make sure you tilt them down. Not good enough for jumping as they will create some mean shadows.

I am a morning person and used to ride before going to work as long as the temps were decent.
    We have two sets of these type of lights that Mr. PM and my boarder use to ride at night with. They work very well, were inexpensive and allow both rider to ride when they come home from work at night. We have them set up to light a small (20 by 40) dressage ring. Certainly gets the job done!

Motivation is that if I don't ride, we won't be ready for the next competition, or the next lesson.

Not tonight,of course with ice and freezing rain.

Typically I leave the office between 5:30 and 6, get home between 6:30 and 7, change and tack up between7:15 and 7:45, ride until about 8:30, feed.water, hay, muck till about 9:30, though there are plentyof nights I do not get back into the house until after 10.

If I leave the office before 5 (not something i can do on a regular basis) I can get home and trailer to a lesson at Blue Top (7 miles away) by 7:15.
    Last edited by Janet; Jan. 28, 2013 at 11:18 AM.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm a morning person too, but my job starts at 6am and I usually don't get off work until 5pm. I tried (I really did) to ride at night, but I lost motivation (not to mention much of my fiancé's goodwill) when I didn't get home until after 9pm. I'm fortunate that the barn I board at is only 10 minutes from work, so I take a bit of a long lunch (the only perk of my work hours) and ride or lunge then. Though my horses may only get a lick and a promise with a brush and a short workout (20-30 minutes), it really helps get one horse done. If I need to ride both, I'll do one at lunch and one straight after work, so at least I'm home at a decent hour. Ditto about bringing your barn clothes into work so they're toasty when you put them on

My motivation: correct clothing + knowing there are only 365 days a year to ride.

I've never been a fair weather rider, but I've been more and more reluctant to ride when it's below 50 and raining. Now that I have all my rain gear for riding, no excuses!

Now I just have to do battle with my stupid workload.

I love riding at night under proper lights. For some reason the horses seem very relaxed to me and it's a great way to unwind from the day.

We are light out here until about 6PM right now .... this will be increasing more every day. Even one big light placed at the end of your arena should be enough to get a good flatwork session in. We have a portable clamp thingy (like they use in garages for mechanics) and it's more then enough. Can't jump but flatwork/poles are fine. I jump on the weekends when I have daylight to work with.

Wish I knew, but the journey is interesting

Dirty horse? Don't groom more than the head and saddle patch/girth area and feet. One less task and no one can see you in the dark!

2 members found this post helpful.

Yes, getting out there is more than half the battle for me. Once I'm there, it's easy, and I wonder why I was so bummed about coming out.

But sometimes even when I get out there I'm tired, and not feeling it. On those nights, I try to make a point to still ride, but do something fun/easy/relaxing. Maybe throw on a bareback pad. Maybe ride in a hackamore. Maybe just walk the driveway loop in the moonlight for a half hour- or, if I'm ambitious, work on walk-halt transitions in the moonlight on the driveway loop

Also a morning person, but this time of year, often end up riding at night because I'll have a better chance of the ring not being frozen. I find it really helpful to make sure I have a snack in the car or something ready to be grabbed if I swing home first, so that the triple demons of tired-cold-hungry aren't ganging up on me. Even so, sometimes it's hard to think about doing a serious flat school in cold weather after a long day at work, so I try to make my evening rides more of a long-and-low stretchy flat or a no-stirrups school.

Plus, when it's wicked out, my boys get the day off. This time of year, they just don't need to be that fit, and they'll be just as happy with long turnout during the day and cozy stalls at night as they will be having to make stiff older bones do 10 meter circles

I have to admit I am a procrastinated when it comes to riding...I have so much else to do and even when I put on breeches boots I enjoy making the schooling plan and then watching someone else do it...But I have learned once I put my foot in the stirrup I always wonder what took me so long..HAVING A VIRTUAL RIDING BUDDY IS A GREAT IDEA. until we bought the farm I worked 9 to 5 and unless I had myself locked into changing at work driving home going straight to barn and loading horses for a scheduled lesson it was easy to go to the house 1 st and find things to distract me. Good for you to get your Spring plans going.....

I am also a morning person and have to ride at night. Once its dark my will to ride plummets. I do not go home first, try to get there before its dark so that at least its light while I'm taking up and getting on, we have lights outside which helps. I will echo the poster who said commit to 15 minutes. I also had an instructor who told me that if I had time to ride for 15 minutes I had time to ride, that has stuck with me, so even if I'm not on long, he is staying in a program....

Wow, great response to this thread! I am vowing to ride tonight. It is rainy and cold now but the forecast says it will be almost 40 and no rain.

I wish I could ride in the morning, but at this time, my work hours are 8-4. Eventually, I am pretty sure I can get those changed to 10-6. Then... I will ride in the morning, for sure.

Remember, I vowed to ride tonight. I am hoping that this group will hold me accountable!

I also am a morning person. I have to be at work at 6:30am, so I don't ride in the morning. I work until 5 and then have to ride in the dark, outside. Here on the Washington coast it isn't cold, but it's wet. Really wet. Let's just say when we all are feeling the winter blues we grumble about living in the "toilet bowl" of America.

I second changing clothes at work or the barn. I also treat myself to nice barn jackets, warm, cute socks, and fun hats. I am always tempted to sit down at home, so I keep beer and wine at the barn Not everyone is motivated by that, but I find that getting to have a sip of wine between stalls, chores, and cold, wet rides helps.

My big motivation? Four horses that need to be ready for competition. And being a better rider. And I make it a point to remember that all my favorite British riders don't have indoors either. I think I read or watched an interview with Lucinda once, who said that part of what makes a great rider is that there are no excuses, it's the days when you don't want to ride that you still push yourself to get in the saddle.

Plus, you so get the bragging rights of being one tough mudder!

Yes! Go to the barn straight from work, do NOT stop moving, tell yourself you will ride at least 20 min.

I struggle with this too, I admit I could have fit in a midday ride (unexpected break) but I'm on here instead (bad!) and planning on riding at 5 when work is officially done..... At least there may be someone at the barn then.

Jennifer

the triple demons of tired-cold-hungry
    Ugh. These kill me.

I don't have to ride in the evening, but I know the exact thing you are struggling with, because it is what keeps me from doing things like riding a bike or, when I had a membership, going to the gym. The best two things to do are either have the clothes with you, or don't sit down (sitting down is my downfall since my bike is set up on a trainer in my living room....most nights are "I'll just sit and decompress/eat this snack for 15 minutes." 3 hours later.....). Keep moving!!!

I do think having a snack with your clothes or grabbing a cup of coffee or tea on your way to the barn can help. Eat something healthy that will give you an energy boost like some nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by CupcakeTough View Post
    I am always tempted to sit down at home, so I keep beer and wine at the barn Not everyone is motivated by that, but I find that getting to have a sip of wine between stalls, chores, and cold, wet rides helps.

My big motivation? Four horses that need to be ready for competition. And being a better rider. And I make it a point to remember that all my favorite British riders don't have indoors either. I think I read or watched an interview with Lucinda once, who said that part of what makes a great rider is that there are no excuses, it's the days when you don't want to ride that you still push yourself to get in the saddle.

Plus, you so get the bragging rights of being one tough mudder!
    Wine at the barn? Wow, I had not thought of that. I'm not much of a drinker but that really might make the evening more tolerable.

I am also motivated to get riding in. I really want to compete at Southern Pines but we are NOT ready. And I have another for sale and in need of getting out and about asap.

There are no excuses.

I don't do it as much anymore (different employers with different feelings about alcohol in the barn), but I did love to have a beer in the evening as I finished up the last of the chores. I also find that if I'm braiding the night before a show, a beer is mandatory. I also prefer to drink while clipping....but that probably has more to do with my feelings toward that chore than anything.

For those who don't have lights...do you have a good arena? I've found that my horse does fine in the dark, as long as we ride in the arena. My eyes adjust, and of course it's all flatwork, but at my barn there are several of us who go outside at night in order to avoid the kids/lessons/mucho traffic in the indoor.

Quote Originally Posted by ahbaumgardner View Post

I wish I could ride in the morning, but at this time, my work hours are 8-4. Eventually, I am pretty sure I can get those changed to 10-6. Then... I will ride in the morning, for sure.
    How long is your drive? Can you ride at 6 am or some such?