The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Looking for a stallion

I'm thinking about breeding my mare in a year or two, she's a 12 year old, 17.2 hand Oldenburg by For the Future (by Furioso II out of an Inschallah mare) out of an Alpenstern mare. I did the 3'-3'3" eq and hunters on her as a junior but we're transitioning to dressage now. First, would breeding at 13-15 be too old for her first time? If that's acceptable, do you have any suggestions of stallions for her? I'd want to get something ammy-friendly for dressage that could go up the levels, but no matter what the foal is I'd plan on keeping it forever. Her areas for improvement are that she's a bit heavy on her forehand and could use a stronger hind end and shorter back, but she's dead quiet and I'd like the foal to keep that temperament. Here's a picture of her:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/9264708...ream/lightbox/

Thanks in advance!

Inshallah was known for passing great temperament to offspring.

I have 2 thoughts for you. One, I would look at breeding her to Routinier if you are in the US. He is DOUBLE Inshallah with Rohdiamont/Rubinstein. I bred to him twice and both were exceptional. The Inshallah in the pedigree will most likely assure you of the temperament you want to preserve. You might also consider another Rubinstein grandson that may refine her more.

The other thought I had for her would be Diamond Hit to shorten her backend. I bred twice to him as well with exceptional results.

Ironman is an Inschallah grandson and he has a phenominal disposition he passes on. He is also very good at shortening backs, it was part of why he was imported.He is also very good at refining heads and necks. As well he has a powerful backend. While not usually thought of as a dressage sire, he has many offfspring that were very good at dressage and score extremely well. He tends to throw his sire, Inselfuersts movement.
    Nancy
    Home of Ironman: GOV, BWP, RPSI, CSHA, AWR, ISR Oldenburg, CWHBA, CSHA, CS, and PHR.
    www.ironmanonline.com

... and you guys want to double and triple up on Inschallah because of good temperament????

To the OP, at 13 to 15 years of age for her first foal I would probably look at stallions that are available via fresh-cooled semen or, alternatively, one that gives you a live-foal-guarantee (LFG) with frozen.

Secondly, I would look for a more modern boy with a longer front leg, as well as one that is known to pass on movement. Ampere is one of those in my opinion, but I'm sure there are Oldenburg stallions that will provide the same. You don't need size given your mare's height, so don't discount some of the not-so-tall boys.

Good luck in your search!
    Siegi Belz
    www.stalleuropa.com
    2007 KWPN-NA Breeder of the Year
    Dutch Warmbloods Made in the U. S. A.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by nsm View Post
    Ironman is an Inschallah grandson and he has a phenominal disposition he passes on. He is also very good at shortening backs, it was part of why he was imported.He is also very good at refining heads and necks. As well he has a powerful backend. While not usually thought of as a dressage sire, he has many offfspring that were very good at dressage and score extremely well. He tends to throw his sire, Inselfuersts movement.
    Nancy
    I met your stallion many years ago, he was very impressive, as I recall, and had a great temperament. I hope you are freezing him for the future?