The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

my husband is 69,i am 61.we clean 18 stalls every day plus paddocks.I think we know what works best for us.that is the big rubbermaid wheel barrows and we pull,not push.They are very well balanced.
    mm

Glad to hear it Myrna! My bestest friend is named Myrna!!

Could be you folks are geneticly superior to the rest of working folks! Because most of the ones I work with get hurt picking up paper clips, just now and again. Less and less of the younger folks around without persistant soreness, doing horse chores. They don't know how to works safely, use their bodies well.

I come from a Company that trains employees on how to do jobs, because it saves them medical expenses in the long run. I moved a LOT of dirt, learning how to shovel and push wheelbarrows when I started working for them. Got corrected when I did things wrong, placing feet wrongly or swiveling body with weight on the shovel, leaned over instead of stooping down. Has kept me from hurting myself in moving a lot of things!

Hope you have many more, undamaged years of enjoying your animals and chores with your Rubbermaid wheelbarrows!!

Quote Originally Posted by goodhors View Post
    This can be VERY hard on your back, spine is not made to pull when swiveled!!

Adding weight to a pulled object is really bad for you, in that position. You want to be working when using both legs and arms equally, in pushing or pulling, so a person is balanced with a straight spinal column. Work ergonomics of various jobs should always be considered, so a person can stay healthy working over their whole life. I hear too much about "bad backs", bad shoulders, other body damage issues that develop from not working in good body position.

Makes for an ugly old age, lots of pain, since you are not able to do the things you would like to.
    Whenever I've used one of these, I find it easier to drag behind me (using both hands, so spine IS straight). I like them, but they are easy to overload and much more likely to push or pull you if you have to take the cart down any sort of hill to be dumped (ask me how I know!). Previous BO had one and the wheels were just about ready to break off from being overloaded.

Now, if you can cure me of a "bad elbow" from too much stall cleaning, I'd be pleased.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

1 members found this post helpful.

A two-wheeler sucks if you are trying to push it loaded over any sort of terrain that is not exactly flat.

I use a one-wheeler because its easier to maneuver to the shat pile than the two-wheeler.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

2 members found this post helpful.

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

I would want at least one of each. A 10 cu. ft. two wheeled (put tubes in the tires, and change the tub bolts to stainless steel at first assembly), and a metal 6 ft. single wheel.

The longest lasting single track I've had yet is from Home Depot. It's orange metal, with metal handlebars, and a solid rubber wheel. It also does get used for masonry work.

Thanks for all of the feedback. I am still debating on what would be best for me. Our terrain is flat. We rarely get snow or ice. The wheelbarrow is strictly for cleaning 3 stalls or the chicken coop.

Thanks, Bopper

If you have flat terrain and hardly ever have snow and/or ice, go for a two-wheeler. I wish I had that option!
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

I like a 2 wheeler for things like hay and grain. Stuff I prefer the stability when the load is not balanced and stuff I do not have to dump regularly.
    I find the 2 wheel type really hard to dump.
    For stalls I like a standard plastic single wheel wheelbarrow. It dumps easily, is easy to maneuver in the barn aisle and out in the paddocks.

I found my 2-wheeler harder to dump at first, but now I LOVE it. I can dump it up, let it rest there, and go around the front if I have to to scrape/pull stuff out. I don't have to flip it back and forth to get everything out.

But, I'm sure some of that is quite dependent on the shape of the tub

Two wheeled plastic, and an old one wheeled metal one ( )so far 7 years on one (plastic) with no problems EXCEPT a few flat tires. But that thing is majorly abused and still makes it through significant snow, mud, muck and whatever else.Hauls hay bales and manure - totally takes a beating. I HATE the one wheeled metal one, probably 50 years old!! only use in an emergency but it can be handy for me to haul tools around in!

I had one of each until the two wheel plastic one got ran over by the truck. I use my metal one wheel for cleaning the paddocks and the fowl houses. It's easy to maneuver and to get up the ramp to my manure pile. The two wheeler we used for pushing heavy loads like landscape blocks. It wasn't as easy to 'drive' as the one wheeler but definitely a heavy hauler and I will be getting another soon.

Don't skimp on the price. The b/o's DH bought some cheap plastic ones, and they were broken and worn out in no time. Finally they bought a good double-wheeled plastic one and it's doing fine. It's the replacement for a rubbermaid that lasted at least 8 years.

Rubbermaid – two wheels – large capacity

Years of being a working student – and self care boarding – and dealing with mud and muck.

I LOVE THESE

Worth the cost. They last, and they make EVERY day of my life easier!

I am 5’5” and never had any ergonomic issues – Our manure pile is at the top of a grade – but the path is well maintained and not muddy. I CAN be difficult to push any wheel barrow with NARROW wheels and heavy loads through mud. If your area is muddy, I recommend something with wide wheels (like the EZ haul cart). To empty, I tip up, then roll it over its side – I am not the “hulk” but I do not find it difficult to toss it around at all – and it takes the beating.

Two wheel for sure!

My absolute favorite for hauling big loads of manure is this wheel barrow. http://mantisdealer.com/loadumper.asp

It has the best wheel base balance and even with a really heavy load, it is very easy for me to push up a hill. The other two wheel wheelbarrow I have has the wheels towards the front, and its a big PIA to push up the hill. The only thing about the Mantis wheelbarrow is that when you start to load it, you have to load it right over the wheels initially, until it gets more full. Plus, love the ability to lift the frame away from the body.

Holds a ton too. And has a nice lower profile in the front, so it is great to push right up to the stall door to load it vs a higher profile. Plus, with the way the handle is made, you can tie the wheel barrow easily to a small lawn tractor and drive it along with a light support by your hand. I have done that when the load is really heavy and I didn't want to push it up the hill. I could never do that with my other wheelbarrow.
    Last edited by Edgewood; Jan. 29, 2013 at 01:28 PM. Reason: added details

I would focus on the wheel diameter -- the larger the wheel, the easier it will be to push. But there's a tradeoff in tire durability so I'd go with a solid tire (I think they call it semi-pneumatic?).

I love the idea of the bar-type handle -- there are so many times I wish I could have a hand free for a brief task, such as controlling a gate that I'm passing through. But another tradeoff-- your wrists are much stronger when they're in the thumb's up position, like when gripping regular 'barrow handles, vs holding a horizontal bar with your wrists flat to the ground. And you need to make sure the bar is wide enough to keep your hands at shoulder width, so you can use your arms and shoulders properly.

What would be brilliant would be some kind of hybrid handle--has a bar but also two pistol-grip type handles on the sides for heavy pushing.
    Try to break down crushing defeats into smaller, more manageable failures. It’s also helpful every now and then to stop, take stock of your situation, and really beat yourself up about it.The Onion

I have one of the the two wheeled, large poly bed wheelbarrow that others have mentioned. Must be close to 15 years old and only thing i have had to do is replace both tires onces.
    If I ever have money to burn I going to get one of these! http://www.paddockequipment.co.uk/mi...r-barrows.html
    Last edited by pds; Jan. 29, 2013 at 03:08 PM. Reason: spelling

There are reasons why I suggested to put tubes in the tires to start with, and swap out the tub bolts at first assembly.

I remember a new poster, I won't mention any names, here some years ago in a thread where we were talking about tubes in wheelbarrow tires. She had just built her farm, and said her wheelbarrow tires held air just fine, and she didn't see any need for tubes. A few years later, she was posting complaining about how to get wheelbarrow tires to hold air. Some things they don't teach in medical school. I've learned this sort of stuff the hard way too.

If you do these things to start with, none of the bolts are rusted in place, everything is clean, and the tires will release easily off the rims. Did I say everything is still clean?

At best, Pneumatic tires on a wheelbarrow will hold air for any length of time for maybe the first three years if you are lucky. Our two wheel bigun is probably 15 years old. With tubes in the tires, I might have had to top off the air in the tires once every two years. Another problem this avoids is getting air into a tubeless tire not only when it goes flat, but if it also comes loose from the rim. The price of two tubes is cheap compared to dealing with these Problems that WILL come up some time down the line.

If you use the cheap zinc plated bolts that come with the kit to assemble the wheelbarrow, the ones holding the tub on will rust out at some point, and then the nuts will also be completely sealed on making it a real PIA to get them off. Take the hardware package out at the store, figure out which ones are the tub bolts, and get stainless replacements to start with. Don't overtighten the tub bolts on a plastic tub wheelbarrow. That's a good place for Nylock nuts.

They all come unassembled, or you pay ten or fifteen bucks to get someone else to assemble it. It's a ten minute job. When I buy one, I assemble it in the parking lot in case I see some piece of hardware I want to upgrade. I like stainless Nylock nuts too.

The way to pick one up to put it in the back of the truck is to set it in the upright dump position with the tub facing out away from the truck, and the loop legs against the down tailgate. Stand against the top part of the tub, grab the loop legs pulling the tub against you, lean back to pick it up, the handles will rotate down by your sides until the now upside down tup is right above the tailgate level, and slide it into the truck bed upside down. To take it out, do the reverse, just grab it, pull it next to you, take a step or two back, and set it down. It gets easier after you've done it a time or two. With a new clean one is the best time to learn to handle it like that.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

What about the "never flat" tires????
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

They work fine, but don't roll as easily or as smoothly. For instance, it's more resistance popping over something. I haven't seen a double wheel one that they come on, and I wouldn't pay the price to swap them out.

The single wheel one I have from Home Depot came with the non-pneumatic one. It's okay, but if it hadn't come with the wheelbarrow, I wouldn't have gotten it.

My first choice is tubes.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

We have a 2 wheeler that keeps popping tires, because the crossbar is toast. It had 2 brand new tires put on in the summer, they both shredded this week. Wondering if the never flats would at least get us another year or so because even two run flats cost WAY lesss than a new 10 cu ft wheelbarrow.
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm