The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Racehorse paradise

I think if horses could get to chose where they were trained, they'd probably want to go hang out with this lady...

Happy horses - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vS0LyGlaRHU
    Ethos - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fR5hp8ABVE
    Facilities - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gq3GjBONpsY

Rebecca had a big winner yesterday at Cheltenham.
    She's also quite the babe.

5 members found this post helpful.

Those videos are great! I'm incredibly jealous. Do you know where Rebecca Curtis is located?

Great videos! Like the way it has been done.

That's how racehorses were trained in my day, makes for a well rounded sane animal.

1 members found this post helpful.

Drvm, "quite the babe"? She is a knowledgeable, experienced and extremely successful professional. I am quite sure she is not a "babe" in any sense of the word. Totally patronizing and stupid, a beautiful woman, really man too, has a difficult enough time in this overly image conscious world. Why make it sexual? Really offensive claptrap unless you of course are "licking your chops" over her, if so, might want to keep it "private".
    "I have brought on the hatred of Wall Street and I relish it".
    Franklin Delano Roosevelt

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Calamber View Post
    Really offensive claptrap unless you of course are "licking your chops" over her, if so, might want to keep it "private".
    I'm a woman, and I'm not offended. It seems clear to me Drvmb1ggl3 has, first and foremost, respect for this woman and her approach to training and horsekeeping. The comment about her attractiveness struck me as a mere footnote to the rest of the original post. It would be a different story if the OP had posted only to comment on what a piece of a$$ this trainer is, but that isn't the case here.

As far as beautiful women having "a difficult enough time," I believe it's been proven time and again that attractive people have an edge (hiring, salary, perception of character by others, etc.) in most life areas over average-looking people.

And that looks like a human as well as horse paradise! Scenery reminded me very much of that in International Velvet. Breathtaking.
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Over where it's HI in the middle and round on both ends.

Default Happy Horses

This is truly racehorse paradise! As a trainer I do my best to keep my horses happy. I have never been able to win races with horses that were not happy. I know other trainers can do it, they seem to force their horses to train until they are sour, refusing to gallop, flipping in the gate among other bad behaviors and they still win .
    Anyway, wish I lived near the beach to train.....Looks like FUN.
    My mom didn't raise no jellybean salesman!

Side stepping the whole derailment of the thread by what I'd chalk up as honestly a well intended compliment of Ms. Curtis being very easy on the eyes. I have to give props on the video quality Equine Productions with their assortment of offerings. Its worth checking out their other youtube vids.

The salt water gallop outs with her operation really would be treat to see if you were living right there on the coast. Per her site, with Fforest Farm, that's a private beach. I'd be very hard pressed to think of any US stables with a similar offering.

3 members found this post helpful.

I'm not against her, its definitely a very nice place to train and work horses, and I'm all for having horses be happy and enjoy their training instead of just gallop along because its all they know. However... am I the only one that goes, "What happens when the horses go from being turned out, and pampered, and galloping in the sea water, to a stall 23 hours a day at a chaotic racetrack??"

Just curious because that's such a Huge change of atmosphere... almost like pasture to stall rest.

Of course I'm no racing expert, I'm just a fan who loves the sport and horses, and I'm All for training centers like this, as I love and own horses (including an OTTB!) and try to keep them the happiest I can as I believe that a happy, healthy horse will be more willing to work for you.

Just curious...

I do love this place, though!! Gorgeous landscape and beautiful horses!! best of luck to the "Graduates"!!

Wonder where it is??
    ~Buy an OTTB, Save a Life, Gain a Forever Bond.~
    Let's say NO to Kill Buyers

Quote Originally Posted by TBHunterJumper View Post
    I'm not against her, its definitely a very nice place to train and work horses, and I'm all for having horses be happy and enjoy their training instead of just gallop along because its all they know. However... am I the only one that goes, "What happens when the horses go from being turned out, and pampered, and galloping in the sea water, to a stall 23 hours a day at a chaotic racetrack??"
    Aren't these jump racers in the UK? I don't think the track stabling would be quite the same.

Quote Originally Posted by TBHunterJumper View Post
    "What happens when the horses go from being turned out, and pampered, and galloping in the sea water, to a stall 23 hours a day at a chaotic racetrack??"
    Some horses ship in [to a track] and then out when the race is done. Those shipped in are constantly around other horses, so its not like these racers go from living alone 24x7 to suddenly with a circus around them. Chaos is a relative perception in my view as the backstrech can be relatively calm. The saddling enclosure or morning works - such that can be sometimes a high wire act. However lets face it in most races about 8 horses go out in the post parade ... not exactly a battalion of horses.

Some horses do live at the track all the time and while that's their life it doesn't mean they are any more accepting of it or not. (I'm assuming the underlying argument is a horse does better if they are acclimated to the track and stress with noise, activity et al.)

Agreed that claimers at the Big A who run a dozen times a year or more aren't exactly shipping up the Catskills and back every few weeks. They have a routine of being on site and maybe that makes them less stressed when hearing other horses, yelling, trucks and tractors. I still think getting a break away from being stuck in a stall is always a good thing.