The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What's with this horse burping?

We have a young horse going under saddle that we occassionally hear a burp, usually when standing quietly while being ridden. His weight is good, and his management should not be a contributor (out 24/7 with grass,hay and a friend) Not a stressful life.
    He did come to me 1 1/2 years ago from a situation that could have contributed to ulcers then ........
    Ideas???
    www.flyingcolorsfarm.comHome of pinto stallion Claim to Fame and his homozygous son, Counterclaim. Friend us on Facebook!https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Fl...04678589573428

One of my horses (bred and raised here) has always been a "burper". Never a problem or a health issue...he just turned 21 years old.

I would love to know. My big brown horse used to sort of gurgle belch too. I thought they couldn't ? He was a terrible cribber, so I attributed it to that.

There is a thread a page or so back-

Try giving 1/4 scoop alfalfa pellets and 10 tums right before bridling and then see if he burps under sade. Mine was ulcer related. You can PM me if you want.

I too had a burper. He was a cribber, but also had to be tube fed as a very young foal. I always wondered if the tube feeding contributed to being able to burp more easily than other horses, as he was never more gassy at the other end (which I assumed he would be if he was simply gulping air while cribbing.). Maybe having the tube passed so frequently mildly damaged the esophageal sphincter?