The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Purina Hydration Hay

I picked up a case of the hydration hay blocks by purina yesterday because I was curious to try them and its been so cold here, i would like to see my horses get a little more water in them. (and had a $10 rebate!) but I have to say my horses were not too enthusiastic. My gelding wiggled his nose around the bucket, and picked at it a little, and my mare are some but them went to picking at the scraps of hay over her stall guard. By this morning both horses had finished it all, but I was surprised they weren't more interested in eating it.

I think the idea is neat, but I certainly don't see them replacing my hay source. It seems like a large, expensive hay cube.

I suspect that they are of more value to those who have difficulty getting hay or where most hay comes by ship.

Here in the NE hay of one quality or another is usually available without breaking the bank.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

It takes a little while for a horse to get used to eating wet hay. My two seniors had an adjustment period when it became clear that soaking their feed and hay was the way to go.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

It is fairly fine stemmed? Is it chopped like a chopped forage product?

MLB, it's very fine, similar to the Lucerene Farms Dengie.

I fed it to them again tonight and they seemed a bit more interested, though the mare walked away after a few minutes.

Tried it because Purina had sent me a bunch of coupons. My picky TB mare didn't like it at all...even when I used warm water and just enough water to rehydrate the brick. Tried it on another vet in the practice's horse and he wasn't too interested when I made it really soupy, but if I added much less water (which negates he purpose) he like it. Another employee tried it on her TB and he also gave it 4 hooves down. I've talked to some other clients who said their horses loved it. It's about $1/lb, so not cheap. I'm not convinced it's better than hay cubes with the exception that the Purina brick soaks down really quick.

I was a test person for the blocks. I thought I would really like them, esp for trailering long distances and for holds at endurance rides. While my horses ate them fine (but hey they're Morgans and they eat anything that isn't moving!), I really couldn't see much difference between using them and regular cubes. I actually don't think they hold quite as much water as well soaked cubes do. Then I saw them in the store the other day and say the price $$$$
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain