The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default GREAT short video, with an even GREATER msg for ALL horsepeople

So many battles being fought out there that affect just about every individual horseman, from every discipline and enterprise; homeless and jobless horses, property rights, road rights, the scourge of animal rights....

Like the man said - either we all hang together, or we'll all hang seperately.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtdGi...layer_embedded
    Last edited by michaleenflynn; May. 17, 2012 at 11:21 AM.
    VP Horse & Carriage Association of NYC

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-F...ref=ts&fref=ts

1 members found this post helpful.

Great video! Thanks for sharing!
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Matson View Post
    Great video! Thanks for sharing!
    Thank you, Mike, for watching

COTH member thedrafthorse made that video; she has made many, but I think that one is her best.

Feel free to share!

Really great. Makes you stop , slow down and think about things that's for sure.

Horses should be an international treasure. Without them a large number of cultures would not be where they are today .. Literally.
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

Great video, and I`m really happy to see it here so that even more people can enjoy it.

Great Video! Really makes you think

A good video but seeing those dead bodies in the ditch, made me thinks about how rough life could be for horses before these groups that are so criticized, existed. Some people on the forums do too much generalizing....implying that all "animal rights" people are opposed to Carriage Horses being used in NYC is like saying that all Roman Catholics are opposed to birth control...it just ain't so.

Quote Originally Posted by trafalgar View Post
    A good video but seeing those dead bodies in the ditch, made me thinks about how rough life could be for horses before these groups that are so criticized, existed. Some people on the forums do too much generalizing....implying that all "animal rights" people are opposed to Carriage Horses being used in NYC is like saying that all Roman Catholics are opposed to birth control...it just ain't so.
    I think there is a obvious difference between people with animal welfare in mind and people who are animal abolitionists. Those mentioned as of late are the later not the former. They'd have been just as happy to have had horses never be part of history.
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

There is a huge difference between animal welfare and animal rights.

If you really look at that picture, you will see that the horses are not "dead in a ditch" but are being buried in a mass grave. If you look at the men, you will see that they appear to be wearing some kind of uniforms. I am betting that is a photo from WWI-- as we all know horses from all over Europe and the US died in droves during that war.

This is a great video because it brings into focus just how close the human-horse bond is, and just how much a part of our history horses have been and deserve to continue to be for both our sakes.

Maybe some people here can imagine life without horses, but I don't want to. Horse owners are already a tiny minority in this country. If we don't stand up for ourselves, our horses and each other, who else will?

No amount of agitation from either animal welfare people or animal rights extremists could have saved those horses in the picture you referred to because they were either victims of war or epidemic.
    Last edited by bayou_bengal; May. 17, 2012 at 01:04 PM.

We are all about animal welfare! It`s the radical animal rights extremest that We are fighting. Carriage drivers and owners are only the fist target. Who will it be next? Three day eventing? Western reining? Roping? Barrel racing? Pole bending? I dont know! Do You really want to just wait around to find out or, dont You all think it would be better to stop them now. The whole Mane and Tail issue has shown us all, that We are vary strong in our numbers if, We stick together.

Great video.

Two questions: 1-the video is marked 'unlisted' in youtube, so only those with the link can see. Have you considered making it public so it can be more widely shared?

2-any plans to make some 'Share the Road Horses Paved the Way' bumper stickers? I think one would look very fine on my trailer.

*star*
    "Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit."
    - Desiderata, (c) Max Ehrman, 1926

You are right, the animal rights groups are not simply apposed to carriage horses in NYC. Their long term goal is to abolish all private ownership of animals.

If you believe what you typed you are sadly not opening your eyes to what the groups are really saying.

Well done ! Love the music and the message.

The only group who qualifies as an entity as you describe is the ASPCA, and they long ago morphed into a bloated behemoth which does more harm than good. The HSUS and PETA have, for the most part, been rotten to the core since their inception.

As for generalizations, I will double down on mine -- anyone who believes in "animal rights" is no friend to the human/horse relationship, and believes in something that does not and cannot exist. Animals do not have rights; people have responsibilities.

Additionally, anyone who says they support carriage horses but insist that they adhere to "animal rights", just simply does not understand the difference between animal rights and animal welfare.

Here's part of what one of the groups you are defending defines as "animal rights":

"Animal rights means that animals are not ours to use for food, clothing, entertainment, or experimentation."

http://www.peta.org/about/faq/What-i...l-welfare.aspx

"Advocates approach the issue from different philosophical positions, ranging from the protectionist side of the movement, presented by philosopher Peter Singer—with a utilitarian focus on suffering and consequences, rather than just on the concept of rights—to the abolitionist side, represented by law professor Gary Francione, who argues that animals need only one right: the right not to be property. Despite the different approaches, advocates broadly agree that animals should be viewed as non-human persons and members of the moral community, and should not be used as food, clothing, research subjects, or entertainment."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_rights

“Arson, property destruction, burglary, and theft are ‘acceptable crimes’ when used for the animal cause,” -- Alex Pacheco, co-founder and former chairman of PETA.

Even more insidious is the underlying theme for many RARA groups and individuals that we should be working toward a world without human/animal interaction:

“I don’t use the word 'pet.' I think it’s speciesist language. I prefer 'companion animal.' For one thing, we would no longer allow breeding. People could not create different breeds. There would be no pet shops. If people had companion animals in their homes, those animals would have to be refugees from the animal shelters and the streets. You would have a protective relationship with them just as you would with an orphaned child. But as the surplus of cats and dogs (artificially engineered by centuries of forced breeding) declined, eventually companion animals would be phased out, and we would return to a more symbiotic relationship – enjoyment at a distance.”
    — Ingrid Newkirk, The Harper's Forum Book, Jack Hitt, ed., 1989, p.223

“One day, we would like an end to pet shops and the breeding of animals. [Dogs] would pursue their natural lives in the wild ... they would have full lives, not wasting at home for someone to come home in the evening and pet them and then sit there and watch TV.”
    — Ingrid Newkirk, The Chicago Daily Herald, Mar 1990

“Pet ownership is an absolutely abysmal situation brought about by human manipulation.”
    — Ingrid Newkirk, Harper's, Aug 1988

Compare and contrast with "animal welfare":

http://homepages.sover.net/~lsudlow/ARvsAW.htm

So - which school of thought do you subscribe to?

These people are really dangerous.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by lolalola View Post
    These people are really dangerous.
    And we must never forget

Shared the video on Faceook
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Shared on FB as well.....

Quote Originally Posted by skykingismybaby1 View Post
    Shared on FB as well.....
    Thanx to all who shared!

Quote Originally Posted by ShotenStar View Post
    Great video.

Two questions: 1-the video is marked 'unlisted' in youtube, so only those with the link can see. Have you considered making it public so it can be more widely shared?

2-any plans to make some 'Share the Road Horses Paved the Way' bumper stickers? I think one would look very fine on my trailer.

*star*
    Thank you for the interest, and sorry it took me 8 months to answer

You can find both the video AND the bumper stickers at Blue Star Equiculture:

Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/equiculture?ref=ts&fref=ts

http://www.equiculture.org/horses.aspx