The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How to "overuse" a rope halter

Ray Hunt is rolling in his grave.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4YY2GXiOLA

This chick is apparently hosting a clinic, tries to do a demo with a horse who appears a bit confused/stuck, and just loses her cool with him. Yikes!

Anyone know any more about this?

I didn't even make it the whole way through... that poor horse. What an idiot.

Ugh....great way to treat a headshy horse.I hate this sh--.You're right Ray Hunt and Tom Dorrance would rip her a new ass----.It amazes me how the wonderful method of these masters has been so corrupted.

1 members found this post helpful.

I didn't get past the first minute, we know how that goes on from there.

She must have learned under Linda Parelli.

The horse looked like a sweetheart just standing there when it started.

Yes, there are better ways to teach a horse to respect your space and it involves teaching over time and without stirring up the horse and confusing it.

Now, a three year old colt super fit and on the muscle, you may have to do something to get it off you, but you hope you have it better trained by the time you are in that situation so no fireworks are necessary.
    That horse?
    Sorry, non-sensical training there.

3 members found this post helpful.

Where's Linda when you need her?
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

OH LORD!

whats wrong with people.... poor horse..... where was the owner?

I dont care who it is, if anyone tried this with MY horse, I would have definitely stepped up... jeesh! (smack forehead)

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpin_Horses View Post
    OH LORD!

whats wrong with people.... poor horse..... where was the owner?

I dont care who it is, if anyone tried this with MY horse, I would have definitely stepped up... jeesh! (smack forehead)
    Yes, stepped up and teach the lady how to do it without fighting the horse.

My old gelding would have killed her. He has a very good sense of what is fair. He's corrected me a time or two and I have to say, I deserved it.

I like rope halters in general. They don't have metal loops on them though and I don't snatch and jerk on them. So that woman was putting on the clinic? I would have knocked her down if she'd been treating my horse like that.
    "Dogs are man's best friend. Cats are man's adorable little serial killer." -- theoatmeal.com

I watched the whole thing, she goes on later to kick the horse in the side a few times. I am amazed at how far this type of training has spread.

I couldn't watch it all. And I don't consider it "training".
    "Dogs are man's best friend. Cats are man's adorable little serial killer." -- theoatmeal.com

Only thing that horse is guilty of is not plowing that B over! I'm still wondering why they blocked out her identity.
    The one good thing about repeating your mistakes is that you know when to cringe.

About halfway through, she kicks the horse in the side. I have no idea what she was trying to teach, and neither does that poor horse. Congrats, idiot owner. You had a nice, quiet horse standing relaxed on the lead. Now you have a headshy, reactive horse who is afraid of the lead.
    This is abuse and I wish they weren't protecting her identity. The owner is at fault too. The first time she shanked my horse like that, I would have taken my horse out of there - not that I'd be caught dead at one of these things.

And believe it or not, a couple NH'ers in the comments justify the treatment saying the horse was pushy. These people read horses about as good as the instructor. Maybe they were the ones giggling in the background while she kicked and shanked that confused horse.
    Her name is outed in the comments, but I won't post it in case it's not really her.
    You are what you dare.

Oh my. Poor horse, he didn't do anything wrong!

Unfortunately I have met my fare share of "trainers" like this. Idiots, all of them. I'd like to put some dental floss across her nose and start yanking on it...

And it's trainers like that that make me look a bit askance every time I see a rope halter. I know they have a use for many situations, but I've had just as much luck with a regular halter and an occasional visit with Mr. Chainoverthenose.

***edited for clarification--Note: I do NOT think this situation and this horse warranted Mr. Chain. I was referring to general brattiness and not this horse. I have no effing clue what this asshat was trying to accomplish here.
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

3 members found this post helpful.

Don't worry, that video has been all over the web in France and her name is known. She even defended herself on a French forum (it did not go well).

She was taught at La Cense, where they used to do Parelli but are now doing their own program. La Cense posted a statement to say they did not endorse anything that this woman is doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Isaline View Post
    Don't worry, that video has been all over the web in France and her name is known. She even defended herself on a French forum (it did not go well).

She was taught at La Cense, where they used to do Parelli but are now doing their own program. La Cense posted a statement to say they did not endorse anything that this woman is doing.
    Of course, no one believes that, when we have seen the Barney and clunking videos ourselves.

In all fairness, I never did see the kicking at the horse, just the bad techniques they teach and with such terrible timing and they have been at that for decades now, uggh.

What do you guys mean, she is doing phenomenal! After all, this is her inspiration and she is following in those footsteps:
    http://youtu.be/xIjDkqkNXFw (WARNING - disturbing images)

** Hope you know sarcasm when you read it **

It is worth watching that first video to the end as that poor horse does a perfect back up for his owner at the end (and the "trainer" never even gets a step.)

I have never understood the reasoning behind making horses back up with their head way up in the air and their bodies inverted as both videos show. Not something you would ever want under saddle so why practice it on the ground?

Love the markings on the horse in the first vid. He has a perfect white cross on his nose. Cute!
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

Quote Originally Posted by BEARCAT View Post
    What do you guys mean, she is doing phenomenal! After all, this is her inspiration and she is following in those footsteps:
    Good god. People can be such asses.

Quote Originally Posted by BEARCAT View Post

** Hope you know sarcasm when you read it **

It is worth watching that first video to the end as that poor horse does a perfect back up for his owner at the end (and the "trainer" never even gets a step.)

I have never understood the reasoning behind making horses back up with their head way up in the air and their bodies inverted as both videos show. Not something you would ever want under saddle so why practice it on the ground?

Love the markings on the horse in the first vid. He has a perfect white cross on his nose. Cute!
    To put that video in perspective, that was a video from the instructional series they sell on how to train horses.

I am surprised it has re-surfaced, as it was pulled off youtube by the Parelli's because of copyright law impingement.

The reason they teach people to back a horse by bopping it like that and don't see that the horse is learning bad motor skills, high head, inverted, scooting discombobulated, is because the ones teaching that are clueless about the basics of horse movement and training to help a horse to move for us smoothly, so it becomes effortless.
    About like me trying to teach someone English.
    (I am having trouble getting my thoughts across.)

Seriously, that happens when you teach without really knowing what you are doing.

What a bizarre interaction – Some of this NH stuff uses the weirdest body language! Why was she constantly looking down and away from the horse while pawing at its face / eye. Was this supposed to sooth the horse? The one she just shanked, slapped, and kicked for no apparent reason?

These poor noobes (and their more unfortunate horses) that get drawn to the snake oil sales men that so many of these NH Clinicians are.

No timing, no empathy, no feel - just follow the steps the DVD told you.

Edited to add… I had never seen the whole “Barney” video before.

What fools – what utter fools.

It’s a shame that so many get bamboozled by the whole “you can train horses after watching DVDs” thing. I wonder if it is a result of the greater urbanization of the country, and our greater distance from the time when horses were an everyday part of life.

Brings me back to my first experiences with horses – riding with kids from ranching families. Families which had horses as a central part of their life for generations. Growing up, I kept my horse at “old Hayden Coggins’ ranch”. Mr. Coggins was in his late 80’s at the time – and spent much of that life on horse back. He taught me basic handling – and how to teach a horse those basics – I can tell you, he would NEVER, not for a moment, allow a horse to be handled as crudely as these fools.

I think this is an ugly symptom of the disconnect. These people have no common sense when it comes to horses. They do not benefit from generations of knowledge – They are unfortunately ignorant, and ripe to be exploited by the money hungry machine that is the Parelli’s and other train by DVD types.

You can’t teach feel over a TV (not that Linda, or this French lady have it anyway).
    Last edited by Appsolute; Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:47 AM.

2 members found this post helpful.