The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default protective vests? for well endowed?

so I'm looking for a protective vest to do low level eventing. I`m a DD and nothing appears to fit me based on the size charts . Any suggestions or do any of the vests run "big"?
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" - Henry T. Merwin

"saddle up that Drama Llama and ride!" COTHism.....

Kan Teq vests are designed by and made only for women. I know there hasn't been a body that Wendy has not been able to fit. They can be expensive (start at 235 Euros) but I have heard nothing but kudos by women who have one.

1 members found this post helpful.

My mom uses a tipperary vest and she is quite well endowed to say the least (larger than you). They are extremely adjustable and flexible so they conform.

You might contact Airowear - there are more sizes listed on the UK site - & ask about a custom if needed.

Phoenix Performance also does custom vests (I believe CO still does as well).

thank you! it's so hard to find riding clothes that fit!
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" - Henry T. Merwin

"saddle up that Drama Llama and ride!" COTHism.....

Snug, tight fit ?? .... And one to wear in dressage!
    The truth is what you can get other people to believe.

-- Tommy Smothers

I'm also a DD, 36 ans the airowear fits me nice, got it from a shop in the UK and even with shipping still much cheaper then here.

Lots of sizing options available, I went with the medium slim long.
    Posted with my Android smartphone.

I have a tipperary, sized a bit on the snug side, and it fits me fine (I'm a tall 36DD). The side laces are really nice for customizing the fit.
    ---------------------------

Kan Teq. Strong enough for a man, but made for a woman.
    Click here before you buy.

I'm a 32H (gods...its TERRIBLE). I ride in a custom Rodney Powell. It wasn't too bad on the cost, and the perk of having something made for me (you can select different sizes front and back) was invaluable when you're short, and of odd measurements. Its also insanely comfortable.

When I was a G I wore a Tipperary and still wore it after my breast reduction when I became a DD/D. I just bought a KAN though and I have to say it actually allows me to breathe, something I struggled with in the Tipp. I haven't done more than flat in it at this point though. My one dislike of it is that it is basically impossible to do things that require you to have your arms over your head, like to remind the 17hh horse that he needs to put his head down to put his bridle on. Otherwise though, it's awesome.

Love my Airowear. I'm a DDD/E. I fit in the standard Large. I think it's not as light as some of the other vests, but since I can actually breathe in it, I don't care. I could never breathe comfortably in a Tipperary.
    Last edited by smhlin110; Jan. 27, 2013 at 06:25 PM. Reason: spelling

I have a large chest and short torso. I had a Tipperary. Actually sized down and adjusted the sides.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

I just got a Kan Teq, and used to wear an Aerowear.

The cover just arrived on Friday, and I wore it to ride on the flat on Saturday. I haven't jumped in it yet, but I am very pleased.

It is a completely diiferent kind of foam from most vests, and it is molded to the correct shape- unlike most vests which are "sheets" of foam - tailored rather than molded. It is the sme kind of molded foam used in Motorcycle back protectors, and made by Knox.

PS I wear an 'E" bra.
    Last edited by Janet; Jan. 28, 2013 at 07:23 AM.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).