The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Eboshi View Post

TcSr. IS and can be fed as a "complete feed," if you have that much money. I'm actually getting improved results now, particularly with regards to palatability not to mention the price, cutting it 50/50 with BS Hay Stretcher as a "filler and extender" which is all forage.
    This is my recipe, too. The boys love it, the weight stays on, and my wallet doesn't wheeze!
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

Quote Originally Posted by ryansgirl View Post
    Triple Crown has twice the fat as the BS Sr. Great stuff but made my old guy lose his mind so I switched him back to BS but went with the Performance LS due to the high fat content. BS is much easier to deal with in the winter and I do prefer the extruded nuggets. All three i just listed have relatively low NSCs. You really can't go wrong with Triple Crown (my old guy just couldnt handle it) - my OTTB mare is on TC Lite & Safe Starch forage and looks great. A lot of horses do great on TC Senior!

Purina - um no thanks.
    I agree! Ive had much better luck feeding my older horses and hard keepers the Blue Seal Performance LS than I ever did their senior product (I'm assuming due to the higher fat content). TC isn't in my area so I don't know much about them, and I won't feed purina!

My vet suggested Purina Senior (complete) for my almost 24 year old mare. It's been a little over 60 days and she's gaining weight nicely. I add warm water and it makes a great mush - she loves it.

I don't think the other brands are even available in my area.

Does everyone like TC b/c of the higher fat content or do you just feel it's a better product overall? I checked and it is available, but almost $5 a bag more. I'm just curious as some poster have very strong feelings about Purina.

It has a higher fat content, MUCH lower NSC than Purina and Poulin in my area, and I don't like extruded feed (BS) unless I absolutely have to feed it. Too much volume in the bowl to reach the pounds you need.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

I wish Purina posted the NSC on their site, because if I remember correctly, their senior was quite high (over 20% I believe, which I consider "quite high" compared to TC's 11%)
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

We have a vet visit tomorrow and I'll want to discuss this. She's getting 5lbs of the Purina 3 x daily. I'm wondering if I could feed less of the TC and still get good results without actually having to spend more, especially if it's a better product.

It is trial and error though. I have learned the hard way that just because my other three geldings did GREAT on TC Senior, doesn't mean my current one will, and it is important to change only one thing at a time, so you can tell what is the change that made the difference
    FREE TACK/APPAREL ADS: BITS AND BARTER BOARD: http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=5450

Quote Originally Posted by Remington410 View Post
    Does everyone like TC b/c of the higher fat content or do you just feel it's a better product overall? I checked and it is available, but almost $5 a bag more. I'm just curious as some poster have very strong feelings about Purina.
    I like TC more because of the fat content, which translates to more calories per pound, and because it's a fixed formula feed (as are all TC products). So each bag is consistent and always has the same ingredients in the same proportions. Purina guarantees their analysis (ie each bag will have the same fat and protein %) but is not fixed formula. So what's going in the bag is dependent on which ingredient they can get cheaper at that time, if that makes sense.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

Question Why do some horses not do well on TC Sr?

Quote Originally Posted by ryansgirl View Post
    Triple Crown has twice the fat as the BS Sr. Great stuff but made my old guy lose his mind so I switched him back to BS but went with the Performance LS due to the high fat content. BS is much easier to deal with in the winter and I do prefer the extruded nuggets. All three i just listed have relatively low NSCs. You really can't go wrong with Triple Crown (my old guy just couldnt handle it) - my OTTB mare is on TC Lite & Safe Starch forage and looks great. A lot of horses do great on TC Senior!
    Posted by islgrl
    I have two friends that feed TC with great results, I put my horse on it and he was like a spider monkey on crack, I could literally see his heart beating out his chest. I switched him to Vintage (now Sentinal) Senior with great results.
    Posted by naters
    Crazy - I have had the same situation. I used TC Senior for years on a few horses (after having a different horse do lovely on Purina Eq. Sr for years), but my current horses went bananas on TC Senior, so I just switched to a 10% pellet. Results pending.
    (Bolding mine)

So, that's at least three people who describe horses that go nuts when fed TC Senior... Can you explain what you mean? What kind of behavior? And more importantly - do you know (or suspect) some specific reason? Is there something in the TC Sr that's not in most other complete feeds?

My retired 22yo OTTB gets TC Sr and keeps weight on very well. And I have used the TC feeds - including their Low Starch when I had a metabolic horse - and always been very pleased. My new 6yo TB was on Pennfield Fibregized before I got him, but there's no Pennfield dealer near me. Both the previous owner and TC customer service suggested that I transition to TC Complete. He loves it, but then he's pretty much a hoover! I was considering switching him to TC Sr so I would only have one complete feed to buy and store. Also, the TC Sr at 11% NSC is lower than the TC Complete at just under 20%. Then I saw this thread.

Thought maybe I should ask about "what kind of crazy and why" before switching. Enlighten me please?
    Fox Wood Farm

Quote Originally Posted by Remington410 View Post
    We have a vet visit tomorrow and I'll want to discuss this. She's getting 5lbs of the Purina 3 x daily. I'm wondering if I could feed less of the TC and still get good results without actually having to spend more, especially if it's a better product.
    Purina Senior has only 1225 calories per pound, so you might find that one of the others ends up being cheaper per calorie since they have 200-300 more calories per pound. Especially for a harder keeper, that can make a huge difference in how much you have to feed.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox Wood Farm View Post
    (Bolding mine)

So, that's at least three people who describe horses that go nuts when fed TC Senior... Can you explain what you mean? What kind of behavior? And more importantly - do you know (or suspect) some specific reason? Is there something in the TC Sr that's not in most other complete feeds?

My retired 22yo OTTB gets TC Sr and keeps weight on very well. And I have used the TC feeds - including their Low Starch when I had a metabolic horse - and always been very pleased. My new 6yo TB was on Pennfield Fibregized before I got him, but there's no Pennfield dealer near me. Both the previous owner and TC customer service suggested that I transition to TC Complete. He loves it, but then he's pretty much a hoover! I was considering switching him to TC Sr so I would only have one complete feed to buy and store. Also, the TC Sr at 11% NSC is lower than the TC Complete at just under 20%. Then I saw this thread.

Thought maybe I should ask about "what kind of crazy and why" before switching. Enlighten me please?

My old guy was always extremely stoic - quiet - laid back. Nothing ever really got him worked up. But when he was on TC Sr he just became a nut case - he wouldnt settle down, he was just a mental case - nervous, jittery. The only thing that had changed for him was the switch to TC Sr. I took him off it and got my old guy back - thankfully!! I put him on Blue Seal Performance LS and he did great on it - I always soaked his feed and this stuff made a great soupy mash and he was able to hold his weight just fine (much higher fat than BS Sr). He'd still be on the Perf. LS but I had to put him down last September at age 31 :-(.

I do like the TC Sr - it just didn't like my guy. It is much lower in NSCs than their Complete feed and a lot of horses do great on it. I never bothered to compare ingrediants to see if there was something that was a trigger point for him - I just knew he needed to get off the stuff asap.
    "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

I haven't read the other responses, but I would recommend Blue Seal Performance LS for a senior horse---has the lower NSC content in comparison to the BS Senior and Triple Crown Senior, and higher fat content.

My horse used to eat HEAPS of grain, but has been reduced to practically nothing on BS Performance LS. My friends 18 yr old horse has as well. If you can't get BS, I would go with TC senior as it would be my second choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    [George Morris] doesn't always drink beer, but when he does, he prefers Dos Equis