The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Which is Better Senior Feed TC, BS, or Purina

Which senior feed does your horses do better on - Triple Crown Senior, Blue Seal or Purina?

TC Senior, but admittingly have never tried Blue Seal for obvious reasons.

1 members found this post helpful.

I (and my mare) loff TC Senior. IMO it's definitely superior to Purina. Have never tried Blue Seal, and it's not available in this area, so no comments on that one.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

Triple Crown

Triple Crown has twice the fat as the BS Sr. Great stuff but made my old guy lose his mind so I switched him back to BS but went with the Performance LS due to the high fat content. BS is much easier to deal with in the winter and I do prefer the extruded nuggets. All three i just listed have relatively low NSCs. You really can't go wrong with Triple Crown (my old guy just couldnt handle it) - my OTTB mare is on TC Lite & Safe Starch forage and looks great. A lot of horses do great on TC Senior!

Purina - um no thanks.
    "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

2 members found this post helpful.

TC, though I've never fed blue seal as it is not available in my area. I won't feed purina anything.

TC, but no Blue Seal available here.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

We do not have Blue Seal here.

Our horses definitely do better on TC Senior than Purina. We had several coupons for discounts on Purina and tried it for a few months. Our 28 y/o lost weight on it.

TC Senior

Blue Seal is 18% NSC, so if I have a choice (which I do because both are available to me) I choose TC Senior because its only 11% NSC.

TC Senior is also higher kcals/lb at 1546
    BS Senior is lower at 1450
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

I have two friends that feed TC with great results, I put my horse on it and he was like a spider monkey on crack, I could literally see his heart beating out his chest. I switched him to Vintage (now Sentinal) Senior with great results.

TC Senior.

Never lived anywhere where Bleu Seal was available - now I have to drive an hour to get my TC.

For the record, my boy is a OTTB, and acts the same on the TC. He'll still get a little nuts when we're in open country with a group of other horses, but that's his manners and not the feed.

Triple Crown.
    www.Somermistfarm.com
    Hunter Ponies & Quality GSDs
    www.UnleashedK9.net

I have fed both BS and TC Sr. For our purposes, I prefer TC Sr. BS is puffed up like cocoa puffs, so if you need to feed five pounds of it per feeding, you will end up having to put a lot of it into the feed bowl! TC Sr. fills the weight requirement I want for this horse without taking up so much room in the bowl. And because he is not an easy keeper, per se, the additional calories in it keeps the weight on very nicely.

On the other hand, a friend has an easy keeper, who also tends to choke if the feed is not extruded. He gets BS Senior and does very well on it. She doesn't feed so much of it, there is plenty of volume in the bowl so he thinks he is getting a lot of food and all stays happy in his kingdom. If she adds one cup of the Vintage Gold-style product per day, he porks out on it, so she sticks to the BS senior. Different needs, different products and applications.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

Beware of using BS Senior (extruded) as a complete feed--it is NOT and some very fine print on the bag will tell you not to use it as such. It does not contain enough forage/roughage for proper gut motility and filling. I found this out the hard way 8 years ago when I had NOT read that fine print and thought all Sr. feeds were analagous.

TcSr. IS and can be fed as a "complete feed," if you have that much money. I'm actually getting improved results now, particularly with regards to palatability not to mention the price, cutting it 50/50 with BS Hay Stretcher as a "filler and extender" which is all forage.

Used to have hideous chokes with Purina Sr. and will never use it again.

Blue Seal now offers e-cubes which are a complete feed. They have Growth, Horse, and Senior. They are a soft cube meant to be fed throughout the day as the only feed.

I haven't tried TC or BS. I have used Purina with excellent results. My neighbor used Purina on a number of very old horses she rescued from abusive homes and they did real well on it and thrived for years. She fed it as a complete feed, mainly.

My now 35-yr-old loved Triple Crown Senior. However, we moved and the nearest dealer is about a 3 hr round trip. I switched her over to Nutrena Senior and she likes that and has done real well on it. If you wanted, you could use the Nutrena and add some shredded beet pulp (mine hates beet pulp) as I think that's the main difference. I add a little vegtable oil (about a tbs a feeding as she eats about 4-5 times a day).

BC is the only feed that my old guy has EVER turned his nose up at....so, there's that.

He and his dearly departed companion did great on TC. Out of the three listed, that would be my choice.

Quote Originally Posted by ryansgirl View Post
    Triple Crown has twice the fat as the BS Sr. Great stuff but made my old guy lose his mind so I switched him back to BS but went with the Performance LS due to the high fat content. BS is much easier to deal with in the winter and I do prefer the extruded nuggets. All three i just listed have relatively low NSCs. You really can't go wrong with Triple Crown (my old guy just couldnt handle it) - my OTTB mare is on TC Lite & Safe Starch forage and looks great. A lot of horses do great on TC Senior!

Purina - um no thanks.

Crazy - I have had the same situation. I used TC Senior for years on a few horses (after having a different horse do lovely on Purina Eq. Sr for years), but my current horses went bananas on TC Senior, so I just switched to a 10% pellet. Results pending.

Anyway, to answer the OP, I have used all three with varying success on several different horses. Trial and error.
    FREE TACK/APPAREL ADS: BITS AND BARTER BOARD: http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=5450

I'm so glad I read this, it didn't occur to me until just this moment that one of my older geldings may be going coocoo from the senior feed he's on - when I first read this I was thinking "I love Legends Senior (at southern states here in NC)" because it put weight on both my 19 year old TB gelding and my 20 year old QH mare - they are both hard keepers. I had them both, and another mare, on Triple Crown senior for almost 2 years with various supplements - oil, omega Plus, rice bran, etc - with no change in weight until I switched to Legends Senior.

However, I've noticed a change in the gelding's behavior - he's more easily "charged" than he used to be - was my old steady eddie horse, but now you have to take care not to squeeze too hard to kiss too loudly when you ask for canter, or he'll HOP into it and sometimes do a little jump going into it - something he'd only ever done ONCE the entire time I've had him until I started him on Legends. I think I'm going to switch his feed back starting tomorrow, THANKS for the inadvertent advice!!!