The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Succeed Fecal Blood Test for Ulcers

Has anyone ever heard using of the Succeed Fecal Blood test to test for ulcers? I had never heard of it until yesterday. Long story short, my horse is showing symptoms of ulcers, I think he has ulcers, my trainer thinks he has ulcers, and when the vet came out to do an exam yesterday he thought it was pretty likely that he had ulcers (I wasn't there for the appointment, but I've gotten a full report from my trainer and vet). The vet told my trainer that he could test with the Succeed Fecal Blood Test, and that would tell if he had ulcers, and if so, where. Neither she or I had ever heard of the test before, and I always thought you had to scope (Vet didn't mention scoping at all, and I don't even know if he has a scope that's long enough).

Today, the results came back negative- so now my vet told that the horse doesn't have ulcers. I trust my vet, but I don't know if I believe this. I'd like to know if the fecal blood test is an accurate way to diagnose ulcers, and if I should actually believe that he is ulcer-free. I'm somewhat doubtful now, as everything I've ever read has said that you need to scope if you really want an accurate diagnosis.

If you do a search for "succeed test" there are quite a few threads that have information/thoughts from people who have had it done or have heard about it.
    "No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle" - Winston Churchill

Check out Central Virginia Horse Rescue

I find the Succeed blood to be a waste of time and money. It only tells if your horse has bleeding ulcers in the hind gut.
    Only two emotions belong in the saddle: One is a sense of humor. The other is patience.