The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default SHIPPING WOES

I'm trying to ship a horse from west of Atlanta to northern Virginia. And am discovering that many of the larger shippers don't venture that far west off 95. Can anyone suggest a smaller firm that might take on that route?

Brookledge?
    They are my favorite long distance shipper.
    Northern Va. is not that far off the beaten path for commercial shippers in this area.
    Nate Chambers also ships - privately. Hope that helps!
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

Default Thanks!

Brookledge can't do, but thanks for the additional name. I've been calling around, and may have to ship this little horse via Fed Ex!

A few years ago I used Jimmy Parlier in Denver, NC to ship my horse from Midland, NC to northern PA. Not sure if he'd go down to Georgia, but would be worth a shot. I didn't have any problems with them.
    http://www.parlierequinetransport.com/index.html

1 members found this post helpful.

Equine Express out of Dallas, Tx. makes many trips each month west to east and back. They might have something going through Atlanta then north. They brought our stallion from Pa. to Ok. Good service. If you would deal with a commercial "slant" hauler, I have another name for you out of Ok who makes weekly trips that way.
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Scott

Pumula horse transport 8044327308
    Home base is Ashland Va

Try using www.travelinghorse.com

I've used them for years to find shippers for horses in various places. You put in where your horse is and when you want to move it and shippers contact you with quotes. I just moved a horse from MI to PA using the site.
    One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well. - Virginia Woolf

A few Finger Lakes buyers had success with this company: http://www.pinevalleyacres.com/

Scott Norris

We have used Horse Carriage Transport twice now and have been very pleased with them. They are great with the horses and very reasonably priced.

I've used Equine Express, since they are coming from the west.
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Try Bob Hubbard or Creech.

Trails End out of Georgia. Have used them once and I am presently using them again.

Default Problem solved

Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions! I made contact with Horse Jitney (based in Maryland) and, luckily, they had a trip planned this week to Atlanta. They sound very professional and horse-savvy, so I am happy that I don't have to find a very big carton for UPS.

2 members found this post helpful.

Jimmy Parlier transported my horse from Raleigh to Los Angeles. He promised me he stopped and took the horses off the trailer each evening. My horse became impacted along the way and thus had colic. I lost him after spending thousands of dollars in Phoenix. I want Jimmy Parlier to prove to me that he properly cared for my horse and took him off the trailer to rest and move around each evening. He refuses to tell me where and when he was taken off the trailer. He said he "doesn't remember where and when he stopped".

Quote Originally Posted by sorabird View Post
    A few years ago I used Jimmy Parlier in Denver, NC to ship my horse from Midland, NC to northern PA. Not sure if he'd go down to Georgia, but would be worth a shot. I didn't have any problems with them.
    http://www.parlierequinetransport.com/index.html
    I will NEVER use him again. He had injured my horse and at least 2 others I am aware of. PLUS " James Lee Parlier Jr, DBA: Parlier Trucking Co 5668 King Wilkinson Rd Denver, NC 28037 Ph # 704-477-6061 MC# 316590 US-DOT # 613581 According to FMCSA he does not have any insurance on file so his authority has been revoked and he should not be hauling for hire. And his US-DOT number is showing NOT AUTHORIZED So he is running illegally while hauling horses for payment." He became "authorized" AFTER DOT investigation Feb 26th 2014 and citations should be posted soon on their website"
    Last edited by nik022; Apr. 4, 2014 at 09:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by e3musict View Post
    Jimmy Parlier transported my horse from Raleigh to Los Angeles. He promised me he stopped and took the horses off the trailer each evening. My horse became impacted along the way and thus had colic. I lost him after spending thousands of dollars in Phoenix. I want Jimmy Parlier to prove to me that he properly cared for my horse and took him off the trailer to rest and move around each evening. He refuses to tell me where and when he was taken off the trailer. He said he "doesn't remember where and when he stopped".
    Off topic, but... do you really want your email address to be your username? I'd see whether this can be modified, else, it seems an invitation for SPAM.

Back on topic -- there's another thread about shipping with further comments about this shipper.

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...20967-Shipping

Glad OP got a shipper. I too was going to suggest Bob Hubbarb. I have used them many times to go to/from rather remote places.