The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Any reuse for blankets with shredded lining?

I am now the proud owner of three relatively new (one has never actually been put on a horse) rambo blankets with shredded linings. The new one was a victim of a pony who pulled it off the blanket rack and had I found him and it and a snowstorm of fluff in his stall.

More recently two of my horses play A LOT. My grey horse runs up behind the older horse grabs his blanket around the loin area and will hold like a rat terrier as they gallop about. Once, I witnessed the grey horse actually being swung around by the blanket in his teeth when the first horse changed directions. And.. the blanket does not tear. Does 1200 Denier mean you can swing a 1200 lb horse by the teeth?

Sadly, the soft fluff and the tender nylon lining does not hold up as well.

The outer shells are in good shape, but I don't see how to repair the lining. Should I throw these away? Can you use the blankets with no lining as a sheet?

If the shell of the blanket is still good (and waterproof) I'd keep it. You could use it over top of lesser quality or more delicate sheets/blankets and use it for protection. If it's still waterproof, you could always throw it over any existing non-waterproof blankets/sheets if it's raining or snowing.

I have a Club Dry and HIB blanket (Gore-tex) and to protect them from abuse (ie my horse's turnout mates) I throw a Kensington-type plasticy flysheet on over top. If I had a Rambo balistic sheet (too expensive to be doing that hence the fly sheet), I would use that instead.

1 members found this post helpful.

We use the old blankets to cover up water tanks at night to save on energy.
    "I couldn't find my keys, so I put her in the trunk"

A lot of blanket repairers want old blankets so that they can cut up the outer shells for patches. You could save and repair other blankets yourself, or give/sell to a blanket repairer.

I think that I have seen a blanket repair place that will sew in a new lining (maybe a tougher material adn batting). Might be worth your while to aska few places.

Quote Originally Posted by clk View Post
    I am now the proud owner of three relatively new (one has never actually been put on a horse) rambo blankets with shredded linings.

The outer shells are in good shape, but I don't see how to repair the lining. Should I throw these away? Can you use the blankets with no lining as a sheet?
    You might check with the shop you bought these from - not every blanket repairer is up to this job, but some certainly are & as these are Rambo's it should be cheaper than new blankets.
    There may also be some warranty available, depending on the type & age of the blankets.

You might also look at picking up some of the Rambo liners (they run ~$60 - $80 depending on 100g, 200g, 300g, 400g weight) & just use these underneath; you could have have sewn in or use a clip system, but given how the previous linings shredded, I'd leave them unattached.

Duo Liner
    Optimo liner

How well would those liners work with sheets. The Rambo Original sheet while great, is not set up with clips.

Too soon old, too late smart.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

I just had a blanket repairer offer me $40 for my Amigo with a destroyed lining, I imagine she will either replace the stuffing and put in a new lining or just alter it into a turnout sheet.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

Default Thanks, great ideas!

Thanks a lot of great suggestions! I especially like the idea of getting one of the rambo separate liners. I buy the blankets a tic big to avoid shoulder rubs, so that might be just the trick!

Thanks agaiin to everyone. Will check out some blanket repair places as well.

I also just got one of the Schneider's stormsheild sheets. It's a big fella and fits my friesian cross much better than the Rambo. I thought if the blankets are going to be destroyed it would hurt less at half the price. We'll see how this blanket fares.

Default Don't throw away yet ~ you'll find a good use for them ~

don't throw them away just yet ~ many uses

with other blankets

cat / dog beds

truck seat covers for dirty dogs

covering a tractor

on and on and on ```
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Forget the blankets - please post video of your horses doing their tricks!!!
    Maybe you could sell it and let them finance their own outerwear?
    I would surely use one of these as a top/sacrificial layer.

I cut them up abd make tail bags out of them. A couple of stitches with the sewing machine and done!
    RIP Spider Murphy 4/20/02 - 10/31/10

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    You might check with the shop you bought these from - not every blanket repairer is up to this job, but some certainly are & as these are Rambo's it should be cheaper than new blankets.
    There may also be some warranty available, depending on the type & age of the blankets.

You might also look at picking up some of the Rambo liners (they run ~$60 - $80 depending on 100g, 200g, 300g, 400g weight) & just use these underneath; you could have have sewn in or use a clip system, but given how the previous linings shredded, I'd leave them unattached.

Duo Liner
    Optimo liner
    Check the warrenty like this poster suggests - Horseware might cover you (no pun intended!)

Also I've done the separate liner thing with my horses and find that to be the most economical solution given your horse's play techniques

Dog beds for the barn & to cover water tanks at night in winter!
    Whatever you do, or dream you can, begin it; Boldness has genius, magic, and power in it ~ Goethe