The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default California CANTER Cutie!

Wow, just wow..... Someone grab this guy! http://canterusa.org/index.php?optio...ings&Itemid=61

And for the taller riders there's this boy. http://canterusa.org/index.php?optio...ings&Itemid=61

1 members found this post helpful.

I've been drooling over both these boys...so many nice horses, so little room in my barn and pocketbook!

He's adorable but do people really pay that much for OTTB's? I now of a cute TB that never raced, went to an English trainer, was doing his changes and ready to start showing that sold for $4,000. Was he under priced or are these OTTB's over priced?

ETA Is it just me or does he look a bit off in the video clip? He's so close, if he wasn't priced so high I'd be tempered to go see him.

Quote Originally Posted by SunNSand View Post
    He's adorable but do people really pay that much for OTTB's? I now of a cute TB that never raced, went to an English trainer, was doing his changes and ready to start showing that sold for $4,000. Was he under priced or are these OTTB's over priced?

ETA Is it just me or does he look a bit off in the video clip? He's so close, if he wasn't priced so high I'd be tempered to go see him.
    Yeah, I'd consider them overpriced.
    "One reason why horses are happy is because they are not trying to impress other horses."
    "Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction"

I think they are both a little over priced for the OTTB market - however, I really wish once they have training on them and have proven show results that they could sell for significantly more. Its sad to see a nice show horse sell for $2000 because its a thoroughbred `

There's a filly farther down the page already jumping, priced less than that.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

The price turns me off of quite a few of the horses. The prices are negotiable most of the time of course but if they are asking 4k do I even want to see if they would go to 1k? I for sure wouldn't go see it not knowing that since its a drive to get there for me. I don't see the reasoning to buy a straight off the track TB for 3k when I can go get a horse with some training for that price. What's funny is that there is another TB rescue around here and one of their volunteers "adopts" a horse from them and next thing you know she has the horse listed for sale for quite a bit more! She actually ended up with a horse I was supposed to get but had to back out of because we unexpectedly gained my old man after losing my sister's horse and a few weeks later I contacted her (she has an ottb program as well) and she offered me the same horse (not knowing that I was supposed to get him for 2500 when a couple weeks prior he was 750 from the rescue. I figure they must be aware that she is turning them around. It just makes it kind of funny that they say she "adopted" the horse.

Quote Originally Posted by SquishTheBunny View Post
    I think they are both a little over priced for the OTTB market - however, I really wish once they have training on them and have proven show results that they could sell for significantly more. Its sad to see a nice show horse sell for $2000 because its a thoroughbred `
    Yes that is sad.

Quote Originally Posted by SquishTheBunny View Post
    Not overpriced for the California market and the quality of the horse. Both of them are big-bodied, well put-together, great-moving horses in good flesh.

I don't understand why everyone expects all OTTBs should be dirt cheap, regardless of quality. Or that trainers should just be giving them away out of the goodness of their hearts.

Frequently, you get what you pay for.

14 members found this post helpful.

I agree that Andydar's price is pretty high, especially factoring in that he'll need to be gelded. But I think $3k for a horse like Funnycus is perfectly reasonable. These are horses with quite a bit of potential, and they do have "some training." I can't think of very many horses who are jumping and more importantly have the potential to be competitive in shows going for 3k.

As for the filly farther down the page, she's been there for over a year now. I'm not sure if she's still available or if there is a significant issue somewhere, because I can't believe that if she was that much of a deal, she'd still be there.

They seem pretty cheap to me compared to an OTTB who has had 90 days training and he is priced at $17,500.

Yes he is a nice horse, and will probably make a good event prospect, but over $17,000?

If you want to rush right out and buy him, Steuart Pittman (Dodon Farm --- the Retired Racehorse Challenge people) has him for sale.
    "I used to have money, now I have horses."

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helpus View Post
    They seem pretty cheap to me compared to an OTTB who has had 90 days training and he is priced at $17,500.

Yes he is a nice horse, and will probably make a good event prospect, but over $17,000?

If you want to rush right out and buy him, Steuart Pittman (Dodon Farm --- the Retired Racehorse Challenge people) has him for sale.
    I think Steuart knows his market pretty well and I'm sure this is a special horse. No one would bat an eye at spending $17k+ for an attractive, talented, professionally started warm blood. And this is an unraced horse, so less worries about race track vices and wear and tear.

5 members found this post helpful.

For me personally, I don't have a ton of money to spend and while I'm capable of bringing along my own horses, which I have done multiple times, 3k is a huge amount of money (my latest OTTB was 1k and that is the most I have ever spent on a horse!) so if I'm going to spend that then I want to get a horse that has had training and preferably started over fences a little. I don't buy based on bloodlines so I don't even pay attention to that, I buy on the horse. But I have a hard time buying something with no training when I can get something equal with training. I guess what I'm trying to say is I want to get the most for my money. I don't want to spend 5k on a used BMW that needs a couple thousand dollars of work when I can find a 5k used BMW that doesn't.

2 members found this post helpful.

Wow. I love both of these horses, in particular the black. Having said that his jog video isn't particularly lovely. Having said THAT, I worked at a thoroughbred track for 6 years and sometimes it can be a painstaking process to get these guys to jog a pretty jog, let alone go in a straight line. So I'd forgive it and go check him out in person.

These horses are most definitely not over priced in my area. I'd say even under priced, but definitely fair. We have a track near by that often sells TB's for 3,000. Part of that reasoning is because the Bottoms race in 3,000$ claimers typically... These TB guys aren't stupid, they know what would be attractive to a show horse person and price accordingly. If I lived anywhere near there I'd be all over this like white on rice. Gorgeous! I have to add, I don't live in a particularly affluent community. Horses are sold for 500$ here all the time. You often get what you pay for though.

3 members found this post helpful.

I was going to say - it's California, *everything* costs more out there. I loff the big chestnut & would bring him home in a New York minute!
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Is that bay horse very lame or just lazy and not wanting to step up into a nice trot?
    Von Hendrix aka Jimi

I think they both have looks and potential. There was a gelding at Portland Meadows that I was interested in, he was for sale because he just never matured as a racehorse. At two he won a couple but after that he was never better than third. My budget was 1k, he sold for 8k. A good horse isn't cheap.
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

Quote Originally Posted by mckenna310 View Post
    Is that bay horse very lame or just lazy and not wanting to step up into a nice trot?
    it looks as if the handler is trying to keep him at a safe distance. Being a colt, he is probably trying to nip at or play with his human..

Quote Originally Posted by Star's Ascent View Post
    But I have a hard time buying something with no training when I can get something equal with training. I guess what I'm trying to say is I want to get the most for my money. I don't want to spend 5k on a used BMW that needs a couple thousand dollars of work when I can find a 5k used BMW that doesn't.
    Those aren't going to be $3k horses with 90-120 days of pro retraining on them. I'd expect that chestnut to go for closer to $10k, possibly more, after he's had 90 days and been started over fences in a professional program.

4 members found this post helpful.