The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Prednisone and increased urination...how soon after you dose down does it get better?

My guy is doing a 2 week trial on pred for possible IBD. Water intake and urine output has increased significantly as expected. He is on a 1 week dose then cutting that in half for the 2nd week, then off. How soon after lowering the dose might we see a decrease in these side effects in your experience?

I'm trying to plan some outtings and am trying to decide whether or not I need to hire a dog walker so I can be gone. Right now, he is wanting to go out about every 2 hours unless sleeping. I was gone yesterday for about 3.5 hours and he had an accident. I'm taking him out at around 11pm, 3am, and then 5:30am overnight and then whatever he needs during the day.

I've read varying things on the mighty interwebz and just wondered what your experiences have been. Having been on pred myself, I know it can be kind of miserable but I don't remember when the side effects really stopped.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

My girl couldn't stay on the Pred. do to post-spay incont. But I've heard giving ice chips in a bowl, instead of water helps. At night , and when you have to go out.

It took about a week for my Beagle girl to slow down her water in/pee out side effects of the pred. Between the ravenous increase in appetite and constantly needing to go out, she was making me crazy. She was waking me up every two hours to go out at night. One minute I'd be sound asleep, the next I had a Beagle on my chest, gently patting my cheek with her paw. At least she was good about waking me up before she had an accident and she's outside during the day.

I hope the pred works for you! Fingers crossed. You have had your share of dog leaks that's for sure.
    Lost in the Land of the Know It Alls

Outfxed, when I told my husband what the side effects for the lab would be (increased drinking, increased hunger, increased urination) his reply was "Oh, so pred just makes him more, HIM!"

Yeah, pretty much. LOL

It's fine. I was just secretly hoping that maybe once he gets down to a lower dose or is off of it that it would pretty much instant. Wishful thinking, eh?

I'm going to start doing some volunteer respite care here so I'm just trying to figure out what arrangements I need to make for some respite care of my own! LOL The irony is not lost on me.

Once you start weaning the dose, you should see less drinking/urination within 3-5 days. He will likely be MORE PU PD than when not on pred however. If you can wean it to a very minimal dose, often the side effects vanish completely.
    Heres hoping this helps his diarrhea!

Well, I'm glad to know I wasn't imagining things! My heeler was started on pred and doxy about a week and a half ago and he's been driving me nuts about food. He's been counter-surfing and getting into things that he normally doesn't, and when I'm getting his dinner ready he can barely contain himself. He's acting like he's never been fed before in his life. I also half-noticed that maybe he was drinking a little more than usual too, but he drinks a lot anyway so I didn't think much of it. Didn't even think about the meds!
    It's not about the color of the ribbon but the quality of the ride. Having said that, I'd like the blue one please!

Drawstraws, they didn't tell you about the side effects?

Increased drinking, increased appetite, increased urinary output and frequency. Some critters also get more exciteable or nervous.

Yeah, they'll often act like they're being starved to death. My dog, who has never been a poop eater, actually looked like he was going to give a try last night because he's so STARVING. Birdseed is also looking good to him right now.

And the urination. OMG. I quite literally have been letting him out about every 2 hours overnight but I fell asleep this morning after my alarm, went about 3 hours and he'd had an accident yet still went out and peed for what seemed like a comically long time.

Squish, good to know. We're only doing a 2 week trial and will drop down the dose on Saturday.

No real change in stool yet. But we've only done the pred since Friday.

My dog had to be on Prednisone last week for an allergic reaction. She had a shot at the vet and then 1/2 a pill twice a day for 3 days.(Finished Sunday morning) She was supposed to get 1/2 a pill every other day for three days, but I stopped it because she was drinking like crazy and peeing 2-3 times in the house and in her crate each day. ( the swelling had completely subsided) She had another accident Tuesday evening and since then no problems. So I would say at least a few days.

Simbalism, it is my understand that prednisone is not to be stopped abruptly because of the effects on the autoimmune system. The drug has to be withdrawn at gradual levels. That was impressed on me multiple times as we were weaning my girl off of the meds. You might want to check with your vet in that regard.
    Lost in the Land of the Know It Alls

Well, this explains a lot about what my Yorkie is going through right now. He was just diagnosed with Lymphoma and the pred is to slow the growth of his lymph nodes and to keep him comfortable until his time comes.

Given the circumstances, I can't get too upset over his accidents, I am going to miss him so much.
    Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
    Bernard M. Baruch