The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Cat drooling..?

Hello everyone!
    I was getting some kitty cuddles a little bit ago and my drooly cat made me wonder.. is it normal? He is an 11 month old Khao Manee (or so we believe). 100% indoor kitty, not neutered (yet!). He is very healthy and normal in behavior, well.. for HIS behavior anyway. Very quirky kitty! I've noticed the droolies anytime he's wanting some serious snuggles, which is when he's sleepy. He'll curl up with me and I'll start petting and scratching on him and here comes the drool.

Is it anything to really think about, or is my cat just secretly a dog trapped in a cat body?

http://i358.photobucket.com/albums/o...ps151755e3.jpg

I have a cat that gets seriously drooly whenever she gets really purry. Totally normal. Nothing to worry about

Good to know! I'm guessing it's relaxation-based then, which is cool with me.. as long as he stops drooling ALLLLL over me haha

One of my cats will drool, sounds exactly like what you describe. She's tired/snuggly and purring and a waterfall starts from her mouth.

When my boy drools it gets to the point that all I can see when looking at him is a Mastiff staring at a food dish

One of our cats loves my dad so much that she leaves puddles of drool on his shirt when he pets her.

Awww!

I have a drooler too. Only when she's really happy (i.e., sitting on my lap getting loved).
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

I once paid extra (in my mind) for a cat that drooled when happy. The drool plus some other features he displayed at the shelter/(cat POW camp) where I got him sealed the deal for me: This cat had an awesome personality.

Three months later, he would no longer drool for me, but would for my newish housemate. I guess the thrill of me had worn off.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Awhh haha. He drools for new people :P

I have a few droolers and the louder the purr, the more the drool. Worse are the ones that add licking to the routine and the coveted place for depositing cat spit is on the face.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

I have a drooler too. She's a sphynx cat and drools when she's happy like the others have said. She does it most for my father and my brother when they come over to visit. (She clearly likes men).

And I can tell by the picture that you're cat is NOT a Khao Manee. Khao Manee are a very tightly coated breed. The hair on his legs and face lie too perpendicular to his skin for him to be a Khao Manee. He's just a white Domestic Shorthaired variety.

Gohan is the same, the louder he purrs the more drool there is.
    My trainer has a kitten that is insistent on nursing on whatever parts of you he can get ahold of (always my shirt or jacket) and in the process leaves massive wet spots everywhere.

Are Sphynx the hairless breed or am I confused?

Yep, I have and have had droolers too Even among the ones who don't drool, when their motor gets going pretty well, there is a LOT of choke-swallowing, so I can only imagine what would happen if they let it out the front LOL

Two of my three are droolers. The happier they get, the more they drool. One just sits on you and drips, but the other one shakes her head and throws drool drops everywhere.

but the other one shakes her head and throws drool drops everywhere.
    This. Ugh. I wish mine would swallow! Out of 8 cats over the years, two have drooled. The cat from years back would drool, but if you stroked his throat he would swallow, and at least sat still and didn't toss drool everywhere. The current cat drools like a fiend when getting cuddled and ends up shaking her head and flinging spit all over you. SO nice when you've just taken a shower and are ready to go to sleep. She also chokes on her drool quite often when it goes down the wrong pipe, and ends up having a hacking wheezing attack trying to get her lungs clear. Such a charmer!

Yep, I have a drooler that also shakes When he gets that loving look in his eyes he comes up and tries to suck my ear lobe and when we won't let him he starts purring and drooling in my hair I love that little orange monkey!!!
    RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
    May 17,2004 - March 29, 2010
    RIP San Lena Peppy
    May 3, 1991 - March 11, 2010

We get puddles here with my daughters kitty. She's a year and a half now and has always been a drooler. The second you lay down she'll be walking towards you to join you, eyes half shut and the drops start lol.
    The one good thing about repeating your mistakes is that you know when to cringe.

The barn cat where I board does that anytime you pick her up and pet her for few minutes.

Y'all missed an excellent and relevant CL add in my area.

The cat was advertised as a drooler! Also, a barn cat. A lover AND a fighter. His name was "Tater Salad."
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

1 members found this post helpful.