Hmmm... I looked at the images for poison ivy and some of them do look like my vines; however, most of them are "hairy". My vines have no little hairs/feelers or whatever those are. Also, most of the PI vines were attached to a tree or at least wrapped around one. Most of my vines are either running along the ground or hanging pretty far from the trunk.
It will be dark when I get home from work so I won't be able to get pics.
We had the vines like you described, and they aren't poison ivy. I never heard a name for them. I thought just cutting them a few times would eliminate them, though I confess to liking vines. I didn't recognize the leaves, but I probably wouldn't. My sil might be able to tell me the name of the vines and what herbicide to use. I'll ask her.
Thanks for the research, Tom! I'll check out the links tomorrow when I'm not half asleep.
For the record, I'm sure the plant thing we cut down this past weekend was not PI. It was viney but the leaves were wrong. And also for the record, I'm not sure that this is the thing that is making the other vines in the woods. I've handled/cut some of the other vines (the thick, long ones) and have never had a reaction and I'm very reactive to PI.
I was, however, shocked by how large some of the PI vines could get when I googled the images. Good grief! PI on steroids! I thought the PI I had when I moved in was large (about 2 1/2' - 3' tall) but even those "trunks" weren't all that thick.
If I manage to get home any night this week before dark, I'll take some pics; otherwise, it will be this weekend.
Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions everyone!
Thick vines can be poison ivy. Are you sure you killed it or maybe you just got rid of the low lying stuff.
Poison ivy and wild grape are the two most common big vines on our trees.
If you Google poison ivy vine pictures you will get many great shots of just how huge the vines can get.
Plant in the OP's photo is not poison ivy or wild grape. We have a shrubby/small tree plant around here (Missouri) with similar leaves, but I don't know what it is. Have you tried taking a sprig of it into a local nursery and asking them? Apologies if you've already done this, and I missed it...
I did not think the original photo was poison ivy at all. I was referring to her comments about the vines on her trees and the OP thinking that since it the vines went up her trees it was not poison ivy. Sorry I was not clear.
Sorry--I misunderstood. Don't know about the OP's locale, but Missouri must be the poison ivy capital of the world--it's everywhere! We also do grapevines well--I've seen some that were larger in diameter than my wrist.