The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default No More Pebble Beach :(

I just heard there won't be any more Pebble Beach horse shows! Is anyone else sad?

I am sad it's ending, but glad I got there last summer for the first time to see it. Such a beautiful area!

I am!!! I haven't even gotten to show there yet! I had two show goals. Show at the Grand National at the Cow Palace and show at PB. They took the H/J show out of the Cow Palace right after I stopped showing livestock there (which meant I could focus on riding!) and now PB is gone! I have no big time goal to work for!

I'm super sad, especially since they're replacing I with a parking lot and driving range. And I never got to show there either and always wanted too!

I have many wonderful memories of showing there over the years. Freezing cold summer shows (bundled up in heavy jackets and horse blankets in July) with the fog that SOMETIMES burned off by the afternoon. Early morning classes were the pits -- I wear glasses and they'd be soaked by the time I finished my warm-up. Fall shows were wonderful - warm weather, clear skies. Trail riding to the beach on off days or slow days. Staying at different b&b's in Carmel, exploring great resaturants and shopping at fun stores. Waving the horse show pass to the gate guys at the entrance to the 17-mile drive always made me feel "special" (as if I could ever afford to live on the drive, ha!). Cursing the footing -- grass was fun but got slick. When they dumped sand on the grass, it was a fiasco. But showing in the dirt rings was so ordinary! Laughing at the people who lived in the homes overlooking the hunter rings, wondering what they thought during the horse show days as they stared out from their gorgeous homes to see us doing our thing. Hunting for a parking space amongst the trees. Finding warmth wherever possible, generally under the tent with the vendors. Winning a pebble beach cooler was the BEST thing ever - the gorgeous green logo against the white fabric. I have one sitting on the back of a couch up here in my loft as I write this -- just looking over at it makes me smile and remember how excited I was when I won it. Truly the end of an era ... I'm just glad I enjoyed the many years I spent showing there.
    R.I.P. Ollie (2007-2010) You were small in stature but huge in spirit. You will never be forgotten.

Godspeed, Benjamin (1998-2014). A life well-lived. A horse well-loved.

2 members found this post helpful.

Jumper classes with real ditches, a water jump and the bank complex in the middle... and yes freezing cold, and the food was crazy expensive... but the show was so much fun!

I learner judged there back in the 90's.... very sad it's ending.....
    Aefvue Farm Ft.Lauderdale

This was such a special show. My favorite memory was when my daughter was 9, I think, and was showing in both ponies and in children's hunters. She'd won all of the children's hunter o/f classes and there was a delay in the hack so she and an older friend decided to trail ride down to the beach. An hour or so later, the announcer kept calling for the class and my daughter was MIA (this was before kids took cell phones with them). Just as the class started entering the ring, up she galloped on the lovely chestnut mare with all four socks covered in sand and mud and her braids looking like dreadlocks. My daughter was covered in sand, to, but grinning from ear to ear--"We trotted in the surf and played with sea lions" she giggled. "It was the most fun ever." If looks could kill, her trainer zeroed in on the target: "You'd better win the damn class for those shenanigans," she growled. As my kid exited with a blue ribbon (clutched in her sandy hand), she handed the ribbon and prize to the trainer: "Here's the ribbon, I want to go back and play with the seals." She was yanked off of the mare but as soon as she got back to the barn, she hopped on her pony and headed back out with the groom! LOL!!! Best show ever. I still have sand dollars and have always kept the prizes for the dog costume awards!!!!

8 members found this post helpful.

I probably could never afford to show there but would have loved to watch. Here's a LONG shot. Does anyone remember a horse named Stoli, big mahogany bay, we think TB (no tattoo), big star. My friend was given this horse and apparently he showed at Pebble Beach- I think in hunters. I think this might have been 6-7 years ago? He was apparently stabled at Rancho del Rio in Atascadero at the time.

Pebble Beach was one of my favorite shows back in the 70's. I was told Timmy Postel brought the horse shows up to the highest level. It was a beautiful venue and I loved going to the crepe resturant in Carmel.
    http://STA551.com
    845-363-1875

And the fact that it's going to be a parking lot makes things twice as sad.

http://www.proequest.com/news/2013/0...to-development
    R.I.P. Ollie (2007-2010) You were small in stature but huge in spirit. You will never be forgotten.

Godspeed, Benjamin (1998-2014). A life well-lived. A horse well-loved.

Quote Originally Posted by ljc View Post
    And the fact that it's going to be a parking lot makes things twice as sad.

http://www.proequest.com/news/2013/0...to-development
    Yes, parking lot/driving range. Definitely a case of adding insult to injury.

1 members found this post helpful.

Yes, very sad. I'm an east-coaster & never went but I sure remember reading/hearing about it!
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Competed there in a pony club rally many, many years ago.What a wonderful place. At that time it was still the long format; I got lost in the forest during roads and tracks, but made great time, and LOVED galloping on the Bird Rock course next to the ocean. A once-in-a-lifetime experience. Showed there a couple of times in the early 60's too. A great place.

I was interviewing with a family in Carmel & their daughter rode with John French so I went to the Pebble Beach show with them. What a gorgeous place for a show! Shame it is ending...
    Not all who wander are lost.

Ralando II

Such a fun show! The trail from the show grounds to the beach was amazing, through the big trees and then the dunes, along the golf course and down to the ocean. I remember there were seals on a big rock just off the beach and the horses totally freaked at them barking but it was funny! It was like a 45 minute ride both ways. I had a hot thoroughbred one year that trail ride was the best warm-up ever! We went to the Monterrey aquarium and Carmel on the off days, what a treat. So too bad they are putting in a parking lot!
    "A good horse and a good rider are only so in mutual trust."
    -H.M.E.

I am so sad to hear about Pebble Beach closing, it was a goal of mine to show there one year!

Say it ain't so!

My Pebble Beach story:

I groomed for a meticulous trainer who bedded the bejesus out of the stalls. She got a little over the top by the time I worked for her and we started showing up at shows the day before the day before. This time, her truck was fubar the morning we were to leave so we had to show up like regular folks-- the day before the show started.

And it was a good thing, because a huge rainstorm that night flooded many of the stalls. To us, that would have been $100 of shavings per stall mucked out and another $100 put in.

The Los Altos Hounds had hunter paces there-- fabulous times and fabulous pictures.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

There is a petition to save the Pebble Beach shows. Can't hurt, might help.

http://signon.org/sign/save-pebble-b...b&r_by=6927598