The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    BS.

I have about read most of the boarding disaster threads.
    No, it is a real thread. I was kind of shocked too at people asking "Well did you TELL your BO you wanted to be known when it was injured?" and people saying well it's not the BO's issue to make sure they take their medicine and such and that she didn't have grounds to leave and should forfeit her board money.

I think I even posted on it.

But for this post, BR glad you're getting out of there! No excuse for no water. Once in a blue moon MAYBE (for example a hydrant was off that you thought was on or a horse decided to bathe in the water through and tip it over) but even then MAYBE every few years or so, if even then.
    I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.

BuddyRoo, as I tried to explain eatlier and as others have pointed out, I am simply making note of the fact that when OTHER PEOPLE post that their horse has a bone-dry bucket all the time, COTH makes excuses for the BO and tells them to be sure to pay up like a good little soldier.

But now in THIS thread, the same people suddenly think no water is a good reason to gtfo and don't look back.

If you search out the thread with the search term provided, you'll see I was on Team Water Is Non-Negotiable no matter who was posting the question.

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Chardavej View Post
    No, it is a real thread. I was kind of shocked too at people asking "Well did you TELL your BO you wanted to be known when it was injured?" and people saying well it's not the BO's issue to make sure they take their medicine and such and that she didn't have grounds to leave and should forfeit her board money.

I think I even posted on it.

But for this post, BR glad you're getting out of there! No excuse for no water. Once in a blue moon MAYBE (for example a hydrant was off that you thought was on or a horse decided to bathe in the water through and tip it over) but even then MAYBE every few years or so, if even then.
    I am too tired right now to read all of the other wreck.
    But golly, the advice is always move first, then worry about the money.
    The question is always whether or not the contract was signed when and if it is advisable to pay up when leaving.

meup is right now stinking up the barn with her grumpiness. Cos, uh, yeah, the question was not about leaving, but about Buddy Roo going back to do the work of the other gal. Not quiet sure how the other situation plays into this scenario.

But with very few exceptions the golden rule is always to move, with check in hand.
    When you can document (and have a lot of it) you can try to not pay, and risk going to court.
    Being that so much in the industry rides on reputation....
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

1 members found this post helpful.

No, the advice is NOT always move first.

Here are some choice quotes that people told the OTHER op who was consistently finding her horse with empty buckets:

I can totally understand the barn owner thinking your mare is not drinking all that water when you are refilling and not telling them.
    (because OP of that thread was constantly refilling her own buckets upon finding them empty on the days she came out, how on earth was the BO to know how much water to give the horse? Apparently BOs can't be expected to keep a bucket at least half full)

My retiree's barn has a watering trough in the field and and in the barn. If they are inside, the get let out 2-3 times daily for a drink. It has been working for that BO for decades. My grandfather had a similar arrangement for his work horses years ago. As has been said, there are multiple ways to keep a horse. The boarder here assumed they used hers; she was wrong. Life goes on.
    What, that OP expected water 24/7??
    On THIS thread, suddenly it is baseline reasonable care to provide water 24/7, not just "one of" the many ways to keep a horse.

Because the horse was given water. Maybe they were a little lax about there always being water there, but the horse was given water.
    Oh ok, just a little lax then.

Two out of three of those quotes were from someone who is telling this LATEST op to get out immediately.

So no, water is apparently not always required 24/7, and the advice is NOT always to leave first and then worry about the money. In that thread some people were telling that op she was just being a pita boarder and overreacting.

12 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post

So no, water is apparently not always required 24/7, and the advice is NOT always to leave first and then worry about the money. In that thread some people were telling that op she was just being a pita boarder and overreacting.
    I agree with meup on this one.

BR, glad you are getting your mare out of there. No excuses for no water, and obviously for a period of time (because the horses are emptying the tank as you refill).

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    No, the advice is NOT always move first.

Here are some choice quotes that people told the OTHER op who was consistently finding her horse with empty buckets:

(because OP of that thread was constantly refilling her own buckets upon finding them empty on the days she came out, how on earth was the BO to know how much water to give the horse? Apparently BOs can't be expected to keep a bucket at least half full)

What, that OP expected water 24/7??
    On THIS thread, suddenly it is baseline reasonable care to provide water 24/7, not just "one of" the many ways to keep a horse.

Oh ok, just a little lax then.

Two out of three of those quotes were from someone who is telling this LATEST op to get out immediately.

how is this in any way relevant to BuddyRoo's situation

If you want to provide discourse on the (apparently) erratic behaviour of certain posters to this sort of situation, then why not start your own "spin off" topic, rather than muddying this thread?

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    how is this in any way relevant to BuddyRoo's situation

If you want to provide discourse on the (apparently) erratic behaviour of certain posters to this sort of situation, then why not start your own "spin off" topic, rather than muddying this thread?
    Well if you want to make a federal case out of it, I was perfectly happy to leave it at one comment until people repeatedly challenged me as if I were completely making it up.

Also BR (as well as other readers wondering how much credence to lend the forums) may be interested to consider that the advice she is getting is apparently based on unknown third party considerations rather than any long held horsemanship convictions in some cases.

In my analysis, whether WATER is a BASIC REQUIREMENT or not is determined completely independently of what username is asking and miraculously I get the same answer everytime. Honestly how in God's name is that remotely "situation dependent"?? The answer should be the same: every horse, every OP, every time! I wonder how the other poster's horse feels about the advice its owner got.

Just because it isn't PERSONAL to the OP does not mean it is completely fabricated or irrelevant.
    Last edited by meupatdoes; Jan. 29, 2013 at 07:08 AM.

5 members found this post helpful.

Meup likes to stalk people she does not like, clearly. I can see no other reason for Meup's posts here as it has nothing to do with Buddy's issue.

I think we all can agree that if the horse owner thinks there is a problem then the horse owner needs to move their horse if the BO does not resolve the problem to their liking.
    We all also agree that BOs can not read minds and can not know what is going on when they are not there. (Like buckets that are full when the BO sees them so they have no way of knowing that the horse drank it until it was empty and the HO filled it.)

I do not see any discussion here about 30 day notice or paying up or anything so I can not see how this conversation relates to other threads.

Buddy does not like the care her horse is getting, she is being given the same advice everyone else is given in that case, move your freaking horse to a place that you like the care at.

Well, I apologize if I misunderstood some of the comments. My frustration level is very high so perhaps I'm being sensitive.

My ride for this morning fell through. Lady can't get her trailer out as the ground is too wet. So....will make another run out this morning. Hopefully, either new BO or Landlady can haul us tomorrow.

I'm glad that BO got neighbors involved and that everything looked good yesterday but I still feel like I have to drive out today to check.

As far as people filling water and not letting BO know--I agree with what others are saying. You can't do stuff like that and not let anyone know. I started getting really worried about my horses a few winters ago when I was leasing a farm (100% self care). I would get there to do a.m. chores and only about 1/2 of the usual amount of water was gone. Turned out that the BO had been going out to do "night check" and was topping off their water. She was just trying to "help" but this went on for a few days before I figured it out and I was about ready to have the vet out!

In this situation however, when I noticed that there was a water problem, I notified the BO. When I've toweled of wet shivering horses because they didn't get brought in like there were supposed to, I notified the BO. When I've noticed gates not closed properly, I notified the BO. I have been pretty good about making sure that she is well aware of the issue(s) but I'm also not going to leave things as I find them when there is a risk to the horse(s).

What I elected to do was let BO know that I would be moving my horse and that it was, without a doubt, due to the recurring theme of this handler taking shortcuts that endanger the horses and the fact that in spite of multiple notifications, BO has continued to rely on this person for the care of the horses.

I don't think that there's any legal angle on this for me to pursue, and it seems that BO has finally elected to involve more reliable people to help out until she gets back so the horses should be okay. So my energy is just going to go towards getting my horse out of there as quickly as possible.

I appreciate the recommendations, commiseration and such.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

3 members found this post helpful.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

While I'm not saying I agree with people's responses on the other thread, I can understand why it's easier not to believe a poster you are not as familiar with. Again, not at all saying this is right, but I can understand why it would be the case. In BR's case, well, she's been around awhile so people know it's unlikely she'd be exaggerating the situation or spinning us a line.

I do agree with meup that water is THE MOST BASIC requirement that ANY BOARDING BARN/person who cares for animals should provide NO MATTER WHAT. I think we can all agree that there are absolutely no excuses on the planet not to provide water. I also agree that buckets in stalls should never get less than 1/2 full. If so? Add more buckets. Automatic waterers freeze? Price you pay for having them - tubs in fields & buckets in stalls, or some kind of heating system probably if you live somewhere cold. One horse keeps others away from water? Move that horse or provide more options for water drinking. Seriously. It's not complicated and there's NO EXCUSE.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

2 members found this post helpful.

Default BO needs to retire

I'm late to the party but can't resist throwing in my 2cents. BO doesn't care. She has demonstrated that. Buddy reported many of the other boarders are kids. How old? Are they absent boarders?

My first, and lingering, thought is the other boarders care just as little as the BO. And yep when the foolish are blessed with a barn full of hardy air fern types, neither BO nor boarders learn there is anything the least bit wrong with that level of care.

I agree with posters who say don't go back to the barn once maresy it outta there. It is costing you too much. I would share your documentation of neglect and dangerous management.

Has the facility been outed yet? <Insert devil horns here>

PS I'm disappointed to read two posts stating the NOVA horse community lacks good boarding barns. I've experienced a couple good ones but admit most of my experience is horses at home.

Bicoastal-

I don't think that NOVA lacks good boarding barns. I've talked to several BO's and visited several barns in the area since moving here mid Nov--large and small. In most cases, the BO's seemed very knowledgable and the horses and facilities looked good too. Unfortunately, many that I would've loved to board at were at capacity and had waiting lists or were very much out of my price range.

In a couple of cases, the BO's were incredibly helpful in giving me other recommendations too.

I think that because it is horse country, the area lends itself to having smaller private farms take on some boarders to "defray the costs of having their own horses" (HA!) And I think that like anywhere else, this *can* lead to boarding situations where people get in over their heads.

In this particular case, BO talked a pretty good game when I first interviewed her. Nothing fancy, but she seemed to have a good sense of the basics. Unfortunately, it turns out that SHE isn't the one doing the care and she's gone a lot leaving this other gal to run the show without any supervision.

I've only seen other people out there 3 times in 2 mos. Once when the farrier was there and the kid holding the horse looked to be about 13 or 14. Another time the gal was probably 18-20. And then the handler and her daughter who is probably around 16. BO says there are kids out there "all the time" though.

Due to distance and traffic, I usually go out M-Fri between 11 and 3 and then on the weekends about the same time. So it's possible that others are out there quite a bit and I'm just not running into them. And if they're coming out at say 5pm, they probably didn't see low water Sat, Sun or yesterday because it was fixed by that time. I don't know what happened Friday as I wasn't there.

They probably think I'm totally absentee!

The facility hasn't been "outted"...there's no barn name that I'm aware of, she's not on COTH, and frankly, I don't want to get slapped with some kind of lawsuit and have to deal with that--even though I can prove everything I've posted here with photos and another witness (fellow COTHer who is riding my horse).

I'll be happy to just wash my hands of the whole deal.

Wow, 6 pages of this? Fill the water or not, move or don't move, take care of your horse. It's part of the horse gig, ya know? No boarding barn is perfect. We all do what we think is appropriate care for our horses. We just don't all come here, looking for pats on the head for being a good mommy.

What also happens from these threads is that boarders make a name for themselves as problem boarders by their postings on forums. The horse world is not that small these days.

7 members found this post helpful.

Jingling for easy trailer finding and an easy move.

Well, I'm not too worried about my reputation as a boarder given that my previous 3 barns are more than happy to take my horse back. I pay my board, my horse is well behaved and easy to handle, doesn't require any special stuff, my expectations are pretty basic and I didn't leave any of those due to problems.

This is a horse discussion board. This was a discussion about horse stuff. The horse world IS small. I would be happy if someone who was involved in this situation read all of the posts from people saying that this water thing is totally unacceptable and maybe learned from it. It's NOT acceptable. And it's not a matter of a boarding barn not being perfect. It's a matter of gross neglect.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bicoastal View Post
    Has the facility been outed yet? <Insert devil horns here>

PS I'm disappointed to read two posts stating the NOVA horse community lacks good boarding barns. I've experienced a couple good ones but admit most of my experience is horses at home.
    You'd be surprised what passes for acceptable horse care around here. Although there are many great places, as BR said it can get really expensive. (Which is why I LOVE my barn!!)

Can someone PM which barn it is?

I have only been at a bad barn once. It wasn't bad at first, but then they became lax, to put it mildly, about water. I would head over at 10am and my horse's bucket would be bone dry. I filled it, told the BO, and got screamed at (literally) for making him look bad. Uh... what now?
    My horse almost never had water unless I filled the bucket. I couldn't be there everyday, and he played favorites - some horses always had water, others none. And I'm talking bone dry buckets. Completely and utterly unacceptable.
    By this time, the BO was treating all the boarders like crap - I guess because we liked our horses to have water.
    I would have never paid for the 30 days, but I was afraid what he would do to my horse. I told him I was leaving, here's your 30 days board check, but I'm out of here tomorrow. He told me he would never let the shipper down the driveway or let them take my horse. So I waited until he was passed out and loaded her into a friend's trailer and hauled ass out of there. What a nightmare it was. And just to show that I'm not a bad boarded, I have been at the same barn now for 20 years. If I told you how little I pay for full board (including meds, blanketing, supplements, holding for farrier/vet, etc...) in the Montgomery Co, MD/NOVA area, you wouldn't believe it. And they always have water. Good care has nothing to do with board price.
    So, yeah go. Go go go.

Oops, I see you are leaving. Good!
    You are what you dare.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Quote Originally Posted by Bicoastal View Post
    It's true. Any time there's been a public interest meeting between the local government and Equestrians, the one thing that comes screaming around the room is "WE WANT A GOOD PLACE TO BOARD OUR HORSES AND WE WANT THE GUBERMINT TO PAY FER IT!".

You can sort many of the local boarding barns into three categories...

1. Professional Facility - Only a handful of those and they always seem to be tight ships on the surface. More or less used by the rich who ride on the weekends and their kids. Go along certain roads and you'll know them when you see them.

2. Backyard Barn - May be good. May be bad. It varies. Some are downright dangerous and threadbare, having been shoehorned into cleared woods or a dirt field with throw-up fencing and others are well maintained properties with a few horses and a ring or jumping pasture.

3. Dumping Ground - Lots of those around here. A lot of old farm properties on the outskirts of development that got bought up by people who thought they could move to the country and make some money or play farmer or whatever. These places are often held together with a hope and a prayer, have ramshackle old barns, and failing infrastructure. You'll find tons of those between the country towns and the suburbs. Oddly, they seem to have no trouble keeping in business as lesson mills or boarding operations despite their constant problems.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Lex, I hear ya. But I think that there are also quite a few professionally run facilities that are within reach of the average horse owner from a financial standpoint. It's just that they're FULL! LOL I was referred to one barn independently by 3 different COTHers. I think 2 of them board there currently. Don't quote me on that. Anyway, they couldn't say enough good things about this place. Price was reasonable. BO seemed really great--we exchanged emails, chatted on the phone, etc. But....the inn was full. And likely to stay full well into next year.

I think that just speaks volumes. First in that it's such a popular place. Next in that the BO knows the limits of her property and staff.

They're out there. They really are. I can't afford most of them--had no idea how expensive it was going to be here and it was such a quick move that I didn't have time to do much research. But now that I'm here and I've spent lots of hours looking around, I think there are lots of good ones.

BR-- would you be willing to PM who it is? I need to board out 2 of mine for 2 months until we move, and do NOT want to end up where you are. I'm really close to the area you board now.