The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

I'm just flabbergasted that she can't even provide (or have someone provide) minimum care. Water is about the first, basic necessity. Hay is next. And both are about the easiest things to provide/do.

I could deal with lots of things, our horses can deal with lots of things. THEY don't need their stalls pristine. THEY don't need a perfectly manicured pasture. THEY don't need the best amenities.

They just need a safe place to live, food and shelter and WATER.

Its ridiculous. Again, I'm just shocked they can't even provide the bare minimum.

At least you tried, Broo. Now its time to concentrate on getting your girl out of there.

Buddy, it is so good of you to care so much, many people would just run the heck out of there. Those poor horses, for some reason it is so appropriate that a person would be getting on a Disney ride when horses at her place would be in this kind of danger! Isn't this the new American way! lalalalalalala, horses? what horses? I am going swimming in DENILE, after all it is my VACATION and I NEVER THINK about anything serious when I am on VACATION.
    "I have brought on the hatred of Wall Street and I relish it".
    Franklin Delano Roosevelt

Sad and dangerous situation but I'm glad you are moving your horse this week.

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRoo View Post
    You really think so? What if I can't get a hold of BO to let her know I won't be going out? I'm so worried that horses are going to get dehydrated and colic. Since I KNOW about it, I feel like I'm sort of responsible for it. Once you know, you know....ya know?

It's not that I don't want to hear it per se. Going to both farms will mean that I'm gone for a huge chunk of the day which means I'll be cleaning up messes at home due to my dog being on a trial run of steroids and needing to urinate frequently. I don't want to be gone at all right now. But I can't leave Miss Mare in this situation. And I feel badly for the rest.
    BR, what the poster meant was that you can be charged with trespassing, if you have no legal reason to be there. Ask me how I know since I was threatened with that for going to someone's door and leaving a note about the condition of the horse, and that something had better be done or I was calling AC (same thing, no water and horse was thin). I thought the property was abandoned so left my number in case that property manager or someone needed to contact some who would take care of the horse.
    "I have brought on the hatred of Wall Street and I relish it".
    Franklin Delano Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    No, I'm not being facetious.

There actually was a thread on COTH where an OP inquired about possibly breaking a contract because she repeatedly came to the barn and found her horse with a bone-dry bucket, and additionally no one called her when her horse received a large gash in turn out, and THEN they didn't feed it its ensuing medication, and most of the response from COTH was:

"well did you TELL them to call you in the event of injury?"
    and
    "well, maybe they just refill the buckets at feeding times,"
    barn owners ACTUALLY POSTED,
    "well, **I** never crush pills or look in the bucket to see if the medicine was eaten,"

and everyone told OP to pay up her full 30 days notice to avoid being sued by barn owner.

No seriously, this happened on COTH. It was all very, NBD, pity the poor BO, are you paying extra for these special services??? (Because water and pill crushing are super special.)

I am simply glad to see people are expressing more sensible notions now.
    Such as, actually expecting BOs to fill water as a matter of course to meet "reasonable care" expectations.

Some of the people who were all, "You can't break your contract, and the BO isn't even acting that bad" on THAT thread are encouraging you to depart promptly on this one, so there seems to have been a notable evolution on horse care standards.
    BS.

I have about read most of the boarding disaster threads.

The advice is always to get out, never to break contract - within reason.
    When you are paid up you can leave the premises with your property and the BO has no legal leg to stand on. opinions on paying the 30 days is open to interpretation and the circumstances.

Oh, as for the standard of care: For some people th horse ought to have a topped off bucket in the stall 24/7 and 500 pounds of pristine hay...
    That is not going to happen.
    Some posters are known for the tendency toward drama...others are down to earth, and when they have a problem, you can assume it is serious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Calamber View Post
    BR, what the poster meant was that you can be charged with trespassing, if you have no legal reason to be there. Ask me how I know since I was threatened with that for going to someone's door and leaving a note about the condition of the horse, and that something had better be done or I was calling AC (same thing, no water and horse was thin). I thought the property was abandoned so left my number in case that property manager or someone needed to contact some who would take care of the horse.
    Gotcha. But I don't think this is the kind of BO to pursue any legal whatever...she is so damned clueless herself. I'm not even sure she'd know HOW even if she wanted to and I don't think she'd be pissed if she knew I was still checking up.

But I hear ya.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    BS.

When you are paid up you can leave the premises with your property and the BO has no legal leg to stand on. opinions on paying the 30 days is open to interpretation and the circumstances.

Oh, as for the standard of care: For some people th horse ought to have a topped off bucket in the stall 24/7 and 500 pounds of pristine hay...
    Some posters are known for the tendency toward drama...others are down to earth, and when they have a problem, you can assume it is serious.
    Well, I don't expect anything fancy for sure. HAve and IR easy keeper. I don't expect much. Just the basics. I have no contractual issues here. I'm free to go as I wish. I'm kind of hoping to find some way to recoup some of my expenses for doing chores but I don't see that happening.

I have multiple voicemails from BO thanking me for what I'm doing as well as texts and emails. She's not mad at me, she's just freaking CLUELESS. It's crazy.

Anyway. I have to sign off for the night now to watch some Downton Abbey w/ the hubby and act like a wife not a crazy horse person that I am.

I'm trying. Forgive me. I'll be out again in the morning and she's moving at 11.

Quote Originally Posted by ThirdCharm View Post
    I would wait until she was out of town, call and tell her the horses were out of water and HER horse was acting colicky (most horses paw and lay down at some point during the day, right?). Hit the panic button and see if a vet bill will smarten her up.

But then, I can be a b**ch when people are so stupid they deserve it.

Jennifer
    With all due respect, what you are proposing is dishonest. How can one criticize the "helper" for being dishonest and yet propose the same thing to resolve this problem? Don't get that.

2 members found this post helpful.

I actually remember this exact thread, totally agreed with Meup.

BS.

Fancy Barn does not = good, basic care.

Un-Fancy Barn does not = bad care.

It all comes down to the BO/BM and the committment to the horses in their charge...and not blaming their problems on their employees (their choices), or anyone or anything else for that matter.

When you start hearing excuses, I'm with Alagirl. Leave. That said it is heartbreaking to leave the other horses that are in their care. Just heartbreaking. One can only hope the others with horses their will figure it out...but again, many horse boarders board for a reason. They are not horsemen, just riders.

5 members found this post helpful.

Sorry, I just popped in on this thread having been away all day and didn't read the last couple pages.

Good you are leaving BR...but I still had to say my peace on this issue. It sucks but unfortunately happens all to often no matter what part of the country you live in.

Don't let the romance of the Virginia Horse country fool you. This goes on a lot. That said, there is some of the best care in the world here. You just can't take the bait, but have to research before placing a horse.

Good luck and bless you for your effort and concern for the other horses. Like you, wish I could take care of them all that may be tended to by the less experienced/ rely on the boarders to whom they are taking "rent"/ and have no real management experience. Bummer.

BS.

Not BS.

Feel free to search for keyword "gamesmanship," and read from post #1 forward.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    Not BS.

Feel free to search for keyword "gamesmanship," and read from post #1 forward.
    What IS it that you're trying to convey here?

Pop your popcorn and break out your Franzia if you wish (I would advise against it and opt for Caymus) but get to the point already. Are you calling me a drama llama? A liar? It sure seems like it.

Bottom line in THIS situation is that there are horses without water, I'm pissed off, I'm paying for board, and I'm fixing the no water situation when I have photographic evidence AFTER the barn helper says all is good to the BO and the BO is texting me that things are not okay.

So this isn't like "OMG the buckets aren't full at all times of day!!!! and Dobbin doesn't have hay in front of him 24/7!!!!" This is "OMG, the freaking tank is empty and no one is going to be here for over 24 hours PER THE BO who is on the phone"

I'm pretty sure I'm not overreacting even a little bit. Not after a few days of this.

And now? With 4 other neighbors involved they've got water. I guess my throwing a fit did the job.

If they thought I was bat poo they probably wouldn't have called in the neighborhood. I'm not being histrionic at all. <--that's what she said, eh?

4 members found this post helpful.

BR..some people just want to live a life by nitpicking...

You are doing the right thing by your horse, and it is so rare to see someone so concerned about the horses left there. Were many others the same as you are, that would be a good thing for the horses (and maybe even the humans (Bo/bms/owners) that supposedly "love" them...geesh.

12th floor of the Acme building in a city that knows how to keep it's secrets.

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRoo View Post
    What IS it that you're trying to convey here?

Pop your popcorn and break out your Franzia if you wish (I would advise against it and opt for Caymus) but get to the point already. Are you calling me a drama llama? A liar? It sure seems like it.
    Buddy, I am not familiar with the other thread, but I am under the impression me up is actually being critical of some other posters, not your situation.

I could be wrong, though. It has happened before!
    You will not rise to the occasion, you will default to your level of training.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Midge View Post
    Buddy, I am not familiar with the other thread, but I am under the impression me up is actually being critical of some other posters, not your situation.

That's how I'm reading it too .. that other people saying that no water was not a big deal were the ones being criticized, not BR.

1 members found this post helpful.

Full Moon....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

I understand it also as the other poster got no sympathy from the same posters who are now praising and urging BR to leave... the difference? the OP! a well known and respected poster gets the sympathy when the other one got "It's not a big deal!..

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Midge View Post

I agree. I think it was more a commentary on the responses that different posters get when they post a similar topic. Sometimes one is a hero and the other a goat.

3 members found this post helpful.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!