The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Ha! Breathing, breathing is right!

Outtie for sure!!

And make sure all the other boarders know!! (and anyone else)

you truly did every frigging thing you possibly could. Hope another boarder does take up the slack and decides they want their horse cared for. Defending someone who does not water horses? Sheesh!

onward and upward (and outta there!

Oh, eff 'em.

I'm done being nice.

I'm getting my mare out and I'm going to make other calls as needed. Told BO this. What can SHE do? She's not here. I think that AC in our future because she isn't actually going to keep up any kind of care.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

1 members found this post helpful.

You are doing the right thing. Her and her little helper obviously don't give a rat's behind about keeping up minimal standards of basic care. Water is about as basic as it gets is it not? Get your horse on the trailer and give 'em the old one finger salute on your way down the drive. This might be one bridge worth burning.

She hung up on me to get on a Disney ride. FFS.

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRoo View Post
    She hung up on me to get on a Disney ride. FFS.
    That would be funny if it wasn't so sad.

Kinda tells you all you need to know about her priorities doesn't it?

2 members found this post helpful.

Yes. It does. But I'm getting out. what about everyone ELSE?

Was everyone else there when you moved your horse there?
    I am guessing if they were there before you came along and made sure worker person did work they do not really care if worker person does work.

Buddy-instead of the usual COTH explosive diarrhea curse for BO and helper, I'm hoping the helper gets that (the incurable kind), and the BO gets what happened to someone I met.

In line for the Small World ride (a long time ago) the couple in the same gondola kept giggling, and talking about getting stuck. Apparently his parents were on a gondola that came off the rail, and they were ifront of singing goats for an hour or two. I hope the BO gets stuck, and is there forever. It would be good if the COTH explosive diarrhea curse struck right about then, and she would deserve it. She doesn't care, she never did, and she never will. I'm so glad you're getting your horse out, and making phone calls.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    Was everyone else there when you moved your horse there?
    I am guessing if they were there before you came along and made sure worker person did work they do not really care if worker person does work.
    Yes ma'am. And they're mostly "kid" owners and looking to these people for their info. So they don't KNOW any better. I'm not sure that they don't CARE only that they don't KNOW better.

Get the hell out and call animal control on the rest. You dont have "all these other horses to worry about" if they are not yours. ALthought noble, they are not your responsibility. Do what you can (call animal control) and get out.

I have been extremely ill at various times over the last few years, and before while my husband was deployed. at one point i was non weight bearing on my right leg. I still went out side every day twice a day and fed my horses and my two boarders and did what had to be done outside. Granted I am in FL so no snow but not having an adequate water source is inexcusable.
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

2 members found this post helpful.

Yes. It does. But I'm getting out. what about everyone ELSE?
    Incredibly sad to say they'll probably find out the hard way.

The best you can do is warn them (or the parents if it's a bunch of kids). There is a reason her barn is full of "kid" owners that trust her blindly and not people like you who expect certain standards of care to be maintained.

You can call AC but we all know nothing would likely come of that. Best case scenario they come out, see empty water troughs and advise BO/Slack-off worker to keep them full. Maybe they'll listen, but more likely than not they'll chalk it up to big meanie-pants you calling on them out of spite and continue on as usual.

Maybe, just maybe, losing a paying boarder will be wake-up call for BO that she needs to get a little more pro-active about the basics and keep the slacker on her toes. Maybe not.

I feel bad for the other horses there too. This definitely falls into the "life isn't fair" category. Do what you can by warning the other boarders and hope they take heed, even call AC to give them a heads-up a couple days after you are gone (buckets should be awful dry by then) because short of going out there everyday and checking the horses after you are gone there isn't much else you can do to help. It sucks I know.

Good lord this shyt boils my blood. Does this BO happen to be related to those nasty people who left King'sRansom up ****s creek without a paddle over Christmas?

WHAT IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE???!?!?!?!?!

Roo, I understand exactly how you feel about leaving the others behind. If I were in your shoes I'd be worrying myself sick about them. I wish I had advice or words of wisdom for you...
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Yes ma'am. And they're mostly "kid" owners and looking to these people for their info. So they don't KNOW any better. I'm not sure that they don't CARE only that they don't KNOW better.
    I just don't buy that kids don't understand that animals/horses need water. Heck, the 8 year old I tutor is well aware that his dog has to have water, and checks without being asked.

I think all you can do at this point is
    a) Get your horse out ASAP. Which you have taken care of, good for you.
    b) Call other boarders and alert them that horses aren't getting water/other basic needs daily. I would try to speak to the parents rather than kids, because they are probably paying.

Good luck!
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

dehydration kills- do NOT go easy on this. I had to yank my boy from a place in MD where he almost died due to negligence. Take care of your horse and good luck!!!
    Appy Trails,
    Kathy & Cadet
    member CDCTA www.cdcta.com, TROT www.trot-md.org & Free State Appaloosa Horse Club freestateaphc.org

Well, this reaction here is at least a nice change from the last time that a boarder mentioned "empty waterbuckets" on COTH and everyone was telling them don't sweat it, what if the BO is about to refill them in 20 minutes and just hasn't made it down to the barn yet.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    Well, this reaction here is at least a nice change from the last time that a boarder mentioned "empty waterbuckets" on COTH and everyone was telling them don't sweat it, what if the BO is about to refill them in 20 minutes and just hasn't made it down to the barn yet.
    I'm not sure if you're being facetious, but the fact is , BO is 1000 miles away. And the person in charge isn't taking care of things. Now the BO has called in the neighbors and is relying on them and me to make sure all is well. I'm about ready to head out again...

There was no 20 min break in the process here.

I'm not sure if you're being facetious, but the fact is , BO is 1000 miles away. And the person in charge isn't taking care of things. Now the BO has called in the neighbors and is relying on them and me to make sure all is well. I'm about ready to head out again...

There was no 20 min break in the process here.
    No, I'm not being facetious.

There actually was a thread on COTH where an OP inquired about possibly breaking a contract because she repeatedly came to the barn and found her horse with a bone-dry bucket, and additionally no one called her when her horse received a large gash in turn out, and THEN they didn't feed it its ensuing medication, and most of the response from COTH was:

"well did you TELL them to call you in the event of injury?"
    and
    "well, maybe they just refill the buckets at feeding times,"
    barn owners ACTUALLY POSTED,
    "well, **I** never crush pills or look in the bucket to see if the medicine was eaten,"

and everyone told OP to pay up her full 30 days notice to avoid being sued by barn owner.

No seriously, this happened on COTH. It was all very, NBD, pity the poor BO, are you paying extra for these special services??? (Because water and pill crushing are super special.)

I am simply glad to see people are expressing more sensible notions now.
    Such as, actually expecting BOs to fill water as a matter of course to meet "reasonable care" expectations.

Some of the people who were all, "You can't break your contract, and the BO isn't even acting that bad" on THAT thread are encouraging you to depart promptly on this one, so there seems to have been a notable evolution on horse care standards.

7 members found this post helpful.

Okay. Thanks. Cuz I was about ready to go COTHDOG or something. I am totally not making this up and have given helper EVERY opportunity to take care of things. But she hasn't .And I've taken pictures.

I'm tempted to ask for money back. I probably won't. But I sure would like to recoup my time hauling buckets yesterday. (things I'm not to do post op.)

Oh well. It's fine. We'll be out shortly.

Shoot, go ahead and ask for your money back. Worst she can say is no. It's not like you're worried about pissing her off at this point.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    Some of the people who were all, "You can't break your contract, and the BO isn't even acting that bad" on THAT thread are encouraging you to depart promptly on this one, so there seems to have been a notable evolution on horse care standards.

but ... it's Buddyroo.... not an unknown poster!!

I would do as you are doing BR, but I would send a letter stating that you could supply proof if any horse colic!! Sad for these poor horses, but ... not your problem any longer.