The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

He follows you around etc. and you didn't go to a majikal NH trainer. Wow.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Um, well, IMHO seeking to teach a horse to behave and perform in a certain desired way is a practical endeavor. Seeking to get a certain feeling from our interaction is a spiritual one. I unabashedly admit that horses serve my spiritual as well as practical needs. Spiritual not as in church, that is religion. Spiritual as in, "not of the physical world", of which feelings are a part.

I tasted the "magic" 15 years ago when I sat my first horse. The degree to which I experience it varies as my challenges get greater but what was helpful for me was to finally find a trainer who is on the same wavelength as me and whom I trust 100%. That took a while. I also agree on the "horse time". Spend time just in the company of your horse, for no other reason than to just spend time with her (him).

As another COTH contributor once eloquently stated, pre-packaged, commercial, "one size fits all" miracle training programs are to horsemanship what Dr. Phil is to legitimate psychotherapy.

I think it takes the right owner/horse combo to find the magic. I've only had it with one horse.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by 2DogsFarm View Post
    2-1/2 months & you want Majik N.O.W.?
    Ain't gonna happen.
    No, I didn't mean NOW. I meant ever -- that I want to be on a path towards magic.

The guy selling the magical program wasn't just selling magic sprinkles. He had a series of exercises that you were supposed to work through step by step every day to create the magic. I would have liked to know what those exercises were.

But, honestly, from what I could see, they weren't all things I would be comfortable doing. Things like lying on the ground and letting the horse sniff you and walk around you (unrestrained), letting the horse kiss your face, etc. I can't see myself doing things like that anyway.

But spending quality time with my horse for the next 15 years, yes, I can do that!
    I have a Fjord! Life With Oden

One warning. Beware the magic. When you get it, as I did with King, it hurts like hell when it's gone.

Totally worth the pain. Just be forewarned.

Also, people who never had it -- will not believe you and they will think you are off your rocker. That is okay, though. Your horse knows you are okay.

5 members found this post helpful.

I think clicker-training might put you on the right path. It will teach you how to break tasks down into easy bites and will teach you how a horse thinks.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Cindyg View Post
    The guy selling the magical program wasn't just selling magic sprinkles. ... But, honestly, from what I could see, they weren't all things I would be comfortable doing. ...

But spending quality time with my horse for the next 15 years, yes, I can do that!
    Well, there is no formula for "magic," no (A+B)xQ/[(X+Y)-Z] = MAGIC. There are moments of grace. If you put in the time and effort, fully attentive to yourself, your horse, your environment, if you take the advice of those around you who have proven they can meet the goals you want to meet in a way you want to meet them ... you will get moments of grace, whatever that means to you, be it a well-trained and sensitive liberty horse who changes his dance with the slightest change of your body language, or a jumper round where it feels like your horse is an extension of your own body, or flowing around a herd of cattle to move them just where you want.

Perhaps there will be many moments of grace all strung together, at times, if you are very lucky. And that's quite a lot to get.

That
    Equinox Equine Massage

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me invincible summer.
    -Albert Camus

I was glad to see someone suggest clicker training. If ever there was a fast-track to communicating with your horse -- this is it. And the best part is that they learn that they can communicate with you, and that their opinion matters. That's as close to magical as it gets.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by King's Ransom View Post
    One warning. Beware the magic. When you get it, as I did with King, it hurts like hell when it's gone.

Also, people who never had it -- will not believe you and they will think you are off your rocker. That is okay, though. Your horse knows you are okay.
    Truth.

My little Po, 13hh of aloof, don't come near me, can't be caught, jumps 3ft 6 solid fences flat-out for me. Stands ground tied for me. It is magic, when you get it.

Before that, it's mostly timing and cookies.

Just worth quoting another time.

I have had it. And it changed my life. But god, does it ever hurt when you lose it.

5 members found this post helpful.

Truer words have never been written. I wake up in a terror of the thought of losing my guy. Partly because I know it is going to hurt like hell and my life will never be the same; but also because I know it is something I will never get feel that ever again. That said, it truly is better to have loved and lost than to never have loved again and it is more than worth the price.

3 members found this post helpful.

As many have posted, it is earned over time. My current horse I have had since she was a yearling. She is 19 this year. Do we have magic? Most of the time. She can be crabby, and make faces or "cuss me out"(flapping her lips as we ride along), but she is always willing to be ridden, do what I ask. If she refuses to do something, I usually rethink the situation(like ? footing etc). She so rarely refuses that I usually listen to her when she does. She hadn't been ridden in a week due to the cold and footing although I had been going to the barn everyday to reset her blankets and give her some beet pulp and hay forage. When I went to the barn Sunday(yesterday), she saw me pull up, she was about 1/2 way down the field. When I got out of the car, she was standing at the gate, nickering to me. She was so happy when we went out for a ride around the farm.

1 members found this post helpful.

I have been working on the "Magic" for years! Found really cool stuff here: www.carolynresnickblog.com

If you haven't heard of her it is because she never bothered with the PR some of the others have. Her book. "Naked Liberty" was a real eye opener for me. I was looking for something interesting to do with a not-100%-sound OTTB.

Now we do liberty work. I can send him away and call him back, he will walk and trot at my side, halt, back, circle around me and more. No round pen needed! Don't even own one. It takes a lot of time though but it is REALLY fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    Truer words have never been written. I wake up in a terror of the thought of losing my guy. Partly because I know it is going to hurt like hell and my life will never be the same; but also because I know it is something I will never get feel that ever again. That said, it truly is better to have loved and lost than to never have loved again and it is more than worth the price.
    All true, Laurie, all very true. I have tears in my eyes while I'm reading this. I do wish everyone could have the horse of a lifetime and the magic. I did.

I would investigate clicker trainers such as Alexandra Kurland to get a more comprehensive, organized, and effective program to achieve your goals (which are doable) then "spend lots of time with the horse."

If you spend time with the horse in a targeted and directed manner, using a program designed by someone who has been there and done it before you, you'll get a lot further a lot faster.

Just throwing it out there - maybe two kinds of magic - the trained and obedient horse who gives safe and predictable responses and is willing and kind - and the kind we see in children where they carry on with derring-do, have no fear and they and the horse are a perfect match, even if us otherwise sane parents would never let our kids ride THAT pony. Those kids will remember that kind of 'magic' and friendship all their lives.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Yep – TIME – earned – never bought.

As a teenager – I had the “magic” with bo my horse. It came from TIME, hours and hours a day spent together. I am talking get to the barn at 8 am and spend ALL day with my horse. Grooming, trail riding, grazing, goofing off – lots and lots of time. We had the lunge around me and “dance” magic – the tricks like fetching and lying down – and we did pony club, eventing, H/J , and camping and on and on….

In the end it was the time – the listening – the consistency which brought the “Magic”.

My current horse is a 5 year old that I have owned since she was a foal. We have a good connection. I can free lunge her, and ride her ANYWHERE – it’s close, but it is not the “magic” I had as a teenager – because I do not have the TIME I had as a teenager. These days (ever since I bought my mare) my horse time is limited to a few hours a day at the most. I just do not have the time to spend from sun up to sundown with a horse. But if you DO, the magic will come.

I can guarantee it cannot be bought.

Quote Originally Posted by Cindyg View Post
    I find myself a little depressed right now.

For the last 24 hours, I have been in a friendly/snarky discussion with a guy who sells one of those magical horse training programs where he promises you can be your horse's best friend and your horse will dance around you at liberty with love shining from his eyes.

When I asked for details, he got snarky. When he asked for $1000 without providing any details, I got snarky.

So clearly he and I are not going to be working together. And there's no point in my pointing you to his website. You can just imagine. Picture something like Nevzorov (though it wasn't him).

ETA: Yes, he did provide some interesting YouTube videos. Yes, a couple of students on his forum leapt to his defense and swore he saved their horses' life. (My horse's life is not in danger, nor is mine.)

But I **DO** want the magic. I'm even willing to put the work (and money) into it. I do want my horse to run in circles around me at liberty. (But only on command! I don't want anything out of control! And I do want to be able to ride, to tie my horse up, to put him in a horse trailer whether he feels like it or not. Apparently those sorts of things are no-nos to some of the magical camps.)

I'm not gifted. I'm not magical. I don't communicate with my horse's soul. Horses are a practical endeavor to me, not a spiritual one. (To me "spiritual" means loving your neighbor as yourself and other things one learns at church.)

Is there any hope for those of us who are practical by nature but do wish for a little magic?

It is called spend less time on the computer, working, etc.. and spend it with your horse. When I was a teen I had that relationship with my first horse. I spent hours with him every day. There is no magic training program, it just takes time and commitment. Unfortunately most of us adults don't have the time due to other things like, life, family , work.

1 members found this post helpful.

CindyG might it be (and I say this with the utmost sensitivity) that at 2.5 months the heady rush has worn off and you are now settling into a less-exciting, but ultimately more-rewarding relationship with your horse? In all seriousness, think of this as a love affair -- you wouldn't expect to have searing romance for your entire life (although it would be nice) and a steady, reliable partner can be their own reward.

If this is the case perhaps you and your horse need a 'date night' of sorts. I got to where you are and decided on a whim to take my mare to a Rick Pelicano 'bomb-proofing' clinic. We had so much fun I signed up for a FOSH clinic with my other horse later in the year. I wasn't sure either thing was entirely relevant to my ultimate goals for these horses, but it broke me out of a mental rut. IMO You don't need $1K magic kits, just do something fun together that will teach your horse (and maybe you) something new. And then get on and ride, because you'll remember what made you like your horse in the first place.