The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Interesting but not surprising...Mr. Medicott in Wellie with ML(formerly mlm)

I was reading a thread over on H/J that was talking about some Wellington Results and in the link she posted was Mr. M finishing well down the order with 17 faults.

So I looked him up to see if he had done more.. He has

http://showgroundslive.com/esp/entri...ail/eid/429064

So far his best round was 12 faults.

Would love to see this in person to see if they're working on something and thus he's pulling rails while taking on some new skill. Or if the cups are super flat, or the courses very tough.

Just interesting.

Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

hmmm.......just cant imagine him with anyone other than Karen.

how is Karen doing?

So here's my armchair opinion - MLM (or whatever her name is now?) has taken an event horse, and asks him to do harder jumper courses and is riding him like she would any jumper - because that's her specialty. I am not at all surprise he's struggling a bit. And he's competing against jumpers who only do this.

She's probably asking him to do things in a way he is not so used to. Watching the videos of him with Karen it looked like he often said "hey, lady, I know what I'm doing will you just let me?" Which you kind of want a bit of on XC, but not so much in SJ.

I hope it improves him - but she's probably really upped the game for him so the first results may not be all that great.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilary View Post
    So here's my armchair opinion - MLM (or whatever her name is now?) has taken an event horse, and asks him to do harder jumper courses and is riding him like she would any jumper - because that's her specialty. I am not at all surprise he's struggling a bit. And he's competing against jumpers who only do this.
    As a Hunter/Jumper rider, I agree with this. Also, keep in mind that the courses at WEF are going to much more technically and built up a lot more than your average eventing SJ course.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ridge View Post
    As a Hunter/Jumper rider, I agree with this. Also, keep in mind that the courses at WEF are going to much more technically and built up a lot more than your average eventing SJ course.
    I guess the question i have is given his age, experience, price and success in SJ with KOC at the four star level, what's the point in maxing him out in at WEF in straight SJ with MLM? Seems likes waste of his legs to me.

12 members found this post helpful.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Who's his vet at WEF?
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

8 members found this post helpful.

These horses are ridden constantly by other people than the "rider". Does not bother me that he is being ridden by Marilyn. The rails part is a bit concerning but he's no longer a team prospect, so its not that big a deal, is it?
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by NCRider View Post
    I guess the question i have is given his age, experience, price and success in SJ with KOC at the four star level, what's the point in maxing him out in at WEF in straight SJ with MLM? Seems likes waste of his legs to me.
    Doesn't seem to me that 1.30M rounds is really maxing him out, even when they're at WEF.
    http://tennantsporthorses.com/stallion-services/

Proudly representing the outstanding stallions, Ballzauber, Sea Accounts xx, Sea Lion xx, and Tagaelen!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennant Sport Horses View Post
    Doesn't seem to me that 1.30M rounds is really maxing him out, even when they're at WEF.
    He's basically jumping Advanced height stadium rounds. That seems like maxing him out.
    http://poorwomanshowing.blogspot.com/
    R.I.P. Eagles Hill. 4/6/00-12/10/11.

I wonder why this "news" is worthy of a thread or speculation since he
    did a few schooling jumper classes and a 1.30m class or two last year at WEF.

4 members found this post helpful.

I posted this because I saw him in the results. I didn't see the results last year or I would have posted then then.

He's a popular horse who has an injured rider and a had been mentioned here as no longer a consideration for the team I don't think I an alone watching the horse and hopping he us successful. Given the number if faults, it's curious results to me.

That's it.

Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    Who's his vet at WEF?
    Why do you ask?
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

I'd still like to know how Karen is doing???? Is she back to riding yet? Is ML keeping him going until she is jumping again?

He had rails and time faults last year, same as this year. It doesn't look like they
    are showing him for the ribbons, or running and jumping his legs off.
    Also, not a lot of the 1.30m horses jump clear. Looking at two days of results,
    only 9 out of 62 jumped clear one day and 13 out of 44 jumped clear the next.
    I don't see why you'd start a thread about a horse you hope is successful
    but point out his results when he had 17 faults. That is hardly cheering for a horse
    you claim to care about.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRider View Post
    Because it's not asking a lot of a sound, healthy horse to jump a couple of courses each week to keep them game and legged up.

Would we be having this conversation this year if he'd had a handful of 12-fault rounds this year at WEF with a rider who wasn't Little? I don't think so. Otherwise, the jockey would be an irrelevance here. OP to one side, there's an audience on this board for those who enjoy putting ML(M) through the ringer. It's tough not to read this thread as listing in that direction.

6 members found this post helpful.

I've heard the horse is on the market.

2 members found this post helpful.

I have no beef with ML.

I compete in jumpers. I know 1.3m is a perfectly suitable height for a 4* horde.

To be clear if I saw any of Will Coleman's getting those kind of scores withour without him I would likely mention it. Ditto for any known Uset horses.

It's not about the rider, it is about the results. Especially since he hadn't been a bad stadium horse, so 3 less than stellar rounds surprised me.

Emily

Emily, I did not take your post as having any hidden agenda... I took it as you were curious, and like the rest of us in this area, stuck inside during cold weather, cruising through the online results.

2 members found this post helpful.

I have no beef with ML.

I compete in jumpers. I know 1.3m is a perfectly suitable height for a 4* horde.

To be clear if I saw any of Will Coleman's getting those kind of scores withour without him I would likely mention it. Ditto for any known Uset horses.

It's not about the rider, it is about the results. Especially since he hadn't been a bad stadium horse, so 3 less than stellar rounds surprised me.

Emily