The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Best/safest trailers on a budget?

Looking into purchasing a trailer soon and i don't have an unlimited piggy bank for it haha It would be towed by Mercedes GL SUV, with a max. towing capacity of 7500 lbs. I have one horse, so a one horse trailer or a two horse is perfect. He isn't awfully big, a 15.3hh warmbloody type, he probably weighs 900-1,000 lbs though i haven't measured him in a while. Any recommendations?

Define budget and define your must-haves. Do you want a ramp? Do you want a tack room in the front or are you ok with only storage under the manger. Are you OK with a stock type trailer, with no divider, or do you want a straight or a slant?

Many questions

Cotner Squire or Ultra would tow nice with your setup, are lighter in weight, spacious and are quite economical. I was talking with them about my needs and was very impressed with the quality and features for the money. My tow vehicle is similar--built on the same platform with the same capacities, but with the Jeep nameplate. (I ended up stumbling on a Trailers USA Minuteman Sport on Craig's List in mint condition for a very attractive price and bought it...similar in size to the Squire)

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

Second the Adams
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    Define budget and define your must-haves. Do you want a ramp? Do you want a tack room in the front or are you ok with only storage under the manger. Are you OK with a stock type trailer, with no divider, or do you want a straight or a slant?

Many questions
    I'm pretty open, i do like the slant and more of a straight load, though its more about having a sturdy and safe trailer. I'd like to stay under $8,500 for a trailer, so that limits my options to used and more stock type trailers. I don't mind stock type so much but i'd rather it have a divider of some sort

Quote Originally Posted by Jim_in_PA View Post
    Cotner Squire or Ultra would tow nice with your setup, are lighter in weight, spacious and are quite economical. I was talking with them about my needs and was very impressed with the quality and features for the money. My tow vehicle is similar--built on the same platform with the same capacities, but with the Jeep nameplate. (I ended up stumbling on a Trailers USA Minuteman Sport on Craig's List in mint condition for a very attractive price and bought it...similar in size to the Squire)
    How sturdy is the one horse trailer by Cotner Squire? My trainer makes it sound like lighter trailers tend to be less sturdy, and i want my boy to be safe since his trips will involve up to 4 hours of travel sometimes

I wouldn't consider a one-horse trailer, personally, but the Cotner line is very well made. I don't know anyone who owns a Cotner who isn't happy with it. Pete seems very on the level based on my conversations. Not pushy and up-front. (He also sells Featherlight) It certainly would be worth the short trip for you to go see them.

I'm also pleasantly surprised at how well made the TrailersUSA I acquire is, too. It's a 2004 and still is in nearly new condition. (They are based in Ocala and I don't know of any dealers up this way) Otherwise, I would have bought the 2008 Cotner Squire that Pete had on the lot which was in outstanding condition and about $6500, if I remember correctly. New is $9K if nothing has changed since then.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim_in_PA View Post
    I wouldn't consider a one-horse trailer, personally, but the Cotner line is very well made. I don't know anyone who owns a Cotner who isn't happy with it. Pete seems very on the level based on my conversations. Not pushy and up-front. (He also sells Featherlight) It certainly would be worth the short trip for you to go see them.

I'm also pleasantly surprised at how well made the TrailersUSA I acquire is, too. It's a 2004 and still is in nearly new condition. (They are based in Ocala and I don't know of any dealers up this way) Otherwise, I would have bought the 2008 Cotner Squire that Pete had on the lot which was in outstanding condition and about $6500, if I remember correctly. New is $9K if nothing has changed since then.
    Ok Cotner is looking like a good option for me so far, thank you!

One horse's are hard to sell and just so tight. If you get a 2H, you have a stall for hay bales and bagged shavings if nothing else.

That's a generous budget for a used 2H. Adams, 4 Star, Merhow, Jamco, are all top names.

1 members found this post helpful.

You could get a nice 2H BP hawk with or without a dressing room for that price

Email Risa at happy trails trailering and ask her about if she has anything used. I LOVE my hawk!!!

What are people's thoughts on Equi Spirit trailers? I noticed they have reasonable payment plans for new ones, though i'm sure i could fine some used ones. Also, someone mentioned to me once that if you have a stock type trailer, it's better to leave a horse loose in it for long distance trailering, is this true?

Equispirit was manufactured by Hawk for a while I believe. They may have also done Trail-et?

Hawk has the majority of the same safety features as Equispirit for a much for economical price. Instead of $17k for an Equispirit 2H BP with no dressing room, you could spend $10,290 with a "package" deal on a 2H BP Hawk. Their customizations are endless and Risa was WONDERFUL to work with.

http://www.happytrailstrailers.com/product.php?pid=9

The EquiBreeze by EquiSpirit is definitely an option. You get all the full safety features of the EquiSpirit but at a price you can more easily afford.

Tom & Neva Scheve designed & built for Trail-Et & Hawk for mannnnny years before going independent with their private EquiSpirit company. So they bring all their many years of experience to bear but can more closely control the construction of each trailer.

I adore my EquiBreeze 2H GN. Call Tom. He'll be glad to talk to you directly and help you with any question.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoMare View Post
    The EquiBreeze by EquiSpirit is definitely an option. You get all the full safety features of the EquiSpirit but at a price you can more easily afford.

Tom & Neva Scheve designed & built for Trail-Et & Hawk for mannnnny years before going independent with their private EquiSpirit company. So they bring all their many years of experience to bear but can more closely control the construction of each trailer.

I adore my EquiBreeze 2H GN. Call Tom. He'll be glad to talk to you directly and help you with any question.
    Thank you! I really like their designs, and the payment plan options are a nice feature.