The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default young colt found home, still FTGH 3 & 6 yr old stallions - soon to be geldings.

LOCATED IN NW PA

A lady a few miles from me has fallen ill and her horses care has gone downhill. She has been trying to give away her horses. I took in the mare and her colt as they were in pretty rough shape. The colt is about 7 months old and more than ready to leave his mother. He is a chestnut with some roaning, QHxAppy. Should mature to between 14-15hh judging by his sire and brother.

The older boys are still at the lady's farm. I am checking on them bringing water and hay. They were not in as bad of shape as the mare and colt. I am trying to raise the funds to get them gelded.

The sire is a 6 year old chestnut QH. Good looking dude, good mind, was fine with me putting my hands all over him in his stall. Compact, sporty type. Not broke, not sure how much handling.

The son of the sire, which is a full brother to the young colt, is 3 years old, mostly black, will be a blue roan. About the same size as his sire. Sweet, laid back. Good looking, again, compact and sporty.

Mare is in bad shape and will be staying here for a long while at least. I may keep her. She is severely underweight and wormy (young colt, too) and had a bad abscess brewing when we got her here. Thankfully it sounds like it has popped (stablehand told me she is suddenly sound today) so I am going to keep soaking her foot as I have been.

Baby needs to go, Momma needs all her calories. I will begin weaning him soon, didn't want to stress them right away, plus Momma was dead lame before and didn't want her upset while dead lame along with being starving and full of worms. Dewormed them once already, going to have to do it weekly for a bit to get rid of them all.

PM me if you are interested in the colt, or either of the stallions. GOOD HOMES a MUST. References required and will be checked. Also require photos of where horses will be living.
    Last edited by VCT; Mar. 27, 2013 at 08:59 AM. Reason: typo and ad location
    www.hogbackhillfarm.com

www.hogbackhillfarm.com

Not one person interested? There isn't a thing wrong with this baby. He is even a cute mover.

www.hogbackhillfarm.com

He is a cutie --maybe folks are waiting to see the pictures of the rest of the boys especially if they are related to see how he might mature?

1 members found this post helpful.

OK, I'll try to get some photos when I go over there tomorrow. We are calling the weanling Joey and he is now weaned and living out in a run in shed with two older geldings. He is learning to lead and he picks his feet up. He had a small abscess on his back which is almost healed and he let me use the clippers on it with no problem at all. He is smart and outgoing, learns fast and is mostly accepting of new things very readily. He's been dewormed a few times now and is starting to gain weight. I'll post some more photos soon and try to get pics of the other boys.
    Thanks, V
    www.hogbackhillfarm.com

Went over to the barn where the boys are and tried to get photos. Sorry they aren't better. There is a lot of snow and the floor in the barn is all lumpy and hard to walk on. Neither of them really lead or have much handling experience. Did the best I could. They are in this album:
    http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...7818262&type=3
    www.hogbackhillfarm.com

The link is not working for me...

Quote Originally Posted by VCT View Post
    Went over to the barn where the boys are and tried to get photos. Sorry they aren't better. There is a lot of snow and the floor in the barn is all lumpy and hard to walk on. Neither of them really lead or have much handling experience. Did the best I could. They are in this album:
    http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...7818262&type=3
    Album works for me

You are very good to do all this can you create individual posters for each horse to leave with local vets/farriers?
    (the standard page sort with photos & basic stats & situation - I know more work for you but maybe a local vet will offer to geld at cost or free & that would likely make them easier to place)

We have a price of $325-$350 to geld both the older boys. The youngsters testicles aren't down all the time yet. Anyways, I have saved a little towards it so far and the owner is giving us all her tack and horse related equipment to sell to raise money towards it. There is a tack swap locally in a couple weeks so we are getting everything cleaned up to try to sell it at the swap. So hopefully we will get them gelded sometime in March. I have a couple horses that are here for breaking to saddle right now that will be leaving probably the end of March or end of April and then I can bring the boys over here (post-gelding) and get them broke to ride. I'll be able to get better pictures and whatnot to make posters once they are here and it's not such nasty weather! But ideally I'd love to find them homes the sooner the better.
    www.hogbackhillfarm.com

1 members found this post helpful.

The 9 month old colt, Joey, is now completely weaned, dewormed, and beginning to fatten up. He is easy to catch, lead, cross ties with supervision (he is good but I stay with him at all times), grooms, picks up feet nicely, loves attention. We did a little "mini-lungeing" session... and he picked it right up and was very willing - didn't really do a lot, but he got the idea and was cooperative.

We almost have all the money for the older boys to be gelded and will be doing that in about two weeks. I'm not sure when I will have room for them to come over here to be started... moving the colt on would help.
    www.hogbackhillfarm.com

I'll try to get some new photos today! )
    www.hogbackhillfarm.com

Bump.
    \"Non-violence never solved anything.\" C. Montgomery Burns

He is adorable, I wish I still have a youngster in me to train.

The mare may have been THIN but not emaciated and so the colt got what he needed for a good start. Looks like he'll be a nice horse. Hope you find someone to take him.

Um. Okay.

The stallions will be gelded in a week or two, we have saved up the money.

I'll get better photos of the colt when it's not freezing and snowing like crazy.
    www.hogbackhillfarm.com

Joey, the youngster, has found a home.

I will start a new thread about the older boys after they are gelded and after I get better photos.
    www.hogbackhillfarm.com