The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Stretching boots: Possible?

So my calfs are a 14 1/2 in on a bloated day (probably 14 1/4 on a good day), the boots are a 13 3/4 inch, so it'd be a 1/2 to 3/4 inch stretch. Is that plausible or should I pass on the boots? They're a really good price, perfect foot size and height (which is strange because I half long calfs).
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

Depends on what they are... If they have elastic panels on either side of the zippers, I'd say go for it. Otherwise I think it might be too much. Anyway you can try them on to sort of see? Didn't you just get new boots, or am I thinking of someone else? And didn't you just recommend to another poster on a different thread to have her boots stretched?

I'd be careful even if they did have elastic panels. I busted the zippers on my ariats multiple times because they weren't wide enough. Finally we had a shoe guy widen them by adding an extra bit of leather and then putting the zippers back in. He did a great job and you can't tell. Maybe something to consider.

1 members found this post helpful.

They're the parlantis with the elastics on the size that will stretch 2 cm, so now that I think about it, it may be enough without putting them on a stretcher.
    I did just get new boots, but I've grown since I bought them (they were a last minute buy because I had sent my Bevals off to be fixed and they weren't going to come back in time for a show) unfortunately, and they're quite a bit short, and aren't seeming to stretch quite as much as we thought they would in the calf and the parlantis are the nicer softer more in style boot-sock look. :P They're nice, but maybe just not for me. At first we were going to custom measure and order a new pair of sergios, but I told my parental units that I didn't want them to spend the 1,200 on the new nice sergios if I could find a used pair for less, or could get measured for something like la mundials. I'll probably sell them if you know of anyone that wants a pair of Sergio Grasso Bergamos with a 14 calf and 19in height.
    I did recommend someone stretching their boots, but honestly I have no idea how much leather will actually stretch and as my science and math teachers have told me ZERO concept of measurement in length, mass, volume, or any which way.
    I once told someone that 300 liters would fill an entire room... yeah no. So I think I'll buy these a take the chance of them maybe not stretching to fit me, and just resell them if they don't. I'm thinking the nice pair of boots are worth the risk.

The Parlanti panel is pretty stretchy. They will tell you that it can stretch up to an inch over the actual boot measurement (which would be 14 3/4") so I think you'll be fine. However, for the cost of the off-the-rack Parlantis, you could have a fully custom pair of La Mundials and aren't even too far away from a fully custom pair of Tuccis. Just food for thought.

What's the foot size on the Bergamos?

I've had traditional leather boots (without zippers or elastic panels/gussets) stretched by up to an inch and a half. But that was done by professional cobblers using steam stretching forms.

The foot size is a 39. The problem with the la mundials is that they were my first choice originally and what we thought would be my Christmas present, but they're not going to be at Gulfport this year, and I can't wait until Kentucky this summer. The Parlantis that I've found are only 500, so less than getting la mundials.

Have you tried the Parlantis on? When I tried mine on I could barely zipper them over thin socks and thin pants. They have stretched enough now, a year later, that I can wear them with thicker breeches and ski socks. I say try them and if you can zip them up at all, even if its a little hard, they will stretch enough to fit perfectly over time.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ridge View Post
    The Parlanti panel is pretty stretchy. They will tell you that it can stretch up to an inch over the actual boot measurement (which would be 14 3/4") so I think you'll be fine. However, for the cost of the off-the-rack Parlantis, you could have a fully custom pair of La Mundials and aren't even too far away from a fully custom pair of Tuccis. Just food for thought.

What's the foot size on the Bergamos?
    Parlantis are $580 when ordered from europe. You're teling me Tuccis are anywhere near that for full custom? If so, who do I call to order at that price?

Quote Originally Posted by Alterageous View Post
    Parlantis are $580 when ordered from europe. You're teling me Tuccis are anywhere near that for full custom? If so, who do I call to order at that price?
    You're misappropriating what I said. Off-the-rack Parlantis, in the States, are close to the price of full custom Tuccis.

Also, OP, re: La Mundials, you know that they don't have to measure you. There's likely a rep in your area who can.

You're misappropriating what I said. Off-the-rack Parlantis, in the States, are close to the price of full custom Tuccis.

Also, OP, re: La Mundials, you know that they don't have to measure you. There's likely a rep in your area who can.
    I still think we're pretty far off. Off the rack Parlantis here are ~$1000 and Tuccis start at ~$1600?

I still think we're pretty far off. Off the rack Parlantis here are ~$1000 and Tuccis start at ~$1600?
    We obviously just have different definitions of words.

Off the rack parlantis here are 900, whereas I thought Tuccis ran closer to 1800 or so. If they're less than that, maybe I'll just go for the Tuccis, I do lust over those boots and I've heard that they hold up forever.
    There's not a la mundial rep in my area, and I sent them an email asking for a self-measuring form so I could take it to a tack store and get measured, but no reply. Also a few people on the board told me not to do a self measuring for La Mundial because they have weird methods.

We obviously just have different definitions of words.
    No, I guess I don't consider 50% more expensive to be "not far off." C'est la vie.

Want to share a link?

Quote Originally Posted by maigenesis View Post
    Want to share a link?
    http://www.equiport.co.uk/products/d...ts__miami/751/

Quote Originally Posted by hunterrider23 View Post
    Off the rack parlantis here are 900, whereas I thought Tuccis ran closer to 1800 or so. If they're less than that, maybe I'll just go for the Tuccis, I do lust over those boots and I've heard that they hold up forever.
    Of the rack Tucci's run $850 - $950 in Canada